ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:21 PM   #1
dnovosel
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250R

Crazy Bike Computer / Ardunio / etc concepts for a 250R

Well, this is my first post. I just put a deposit down on a 250R, and I'll be picking it up in a month or so once the weather gets better up here. (Ottawa, Canada)

It's my first bike, and overall I have to say I'm pretty pumped about learning to ride on it. Seems like a sweet piece of machinery.

Since I'm a huge fan of tinkering with things, and building crazy electronic projects, I'm looking around for any ideas for good bike computer concepts. I'm thinking about using some micro's / ardunios to build a bike computer with GPS / accelerometer / compass / data logging / and anything else I can think of. I'm sure there are lots of cool things to keep track of on a 250R. Hell, maybe I could rig up a cell-tracking alarm system.... Haha, although the cost might be over the top for a bike. I already have a partial system built that I'm working on for my car, so I think it'll be easy to mod it across, although space is obviously at a premium.

With such a huge number of people, I'm sure some other people have been thinking along the same lines, and I'm wondering what other crazy thoughts people have had, with any success or pitfalls working within the platform. I'd like to get started on the electronic side of things quickly, and maybe start designing a few PCB's, since the lead time is brutal (4 weeks generally).

A couple of quick questions some people might be able to answer:

1) Temps... how high are normal within the frame, I'm just thinking of tolerances for electronics components mostly.
2) Vibration... how bad is it at speed. Electronics can be fragile, and I want to try and design something that isn't going to break on day two.
3) Space... how much space is there really to work with. I'm assuming I can find the odd space to put small boxes in, and run wiring harnesses.

So anyway, I'm sure this is going to be fun, and I can't wait to start riding, and modding my 250R. I'm planning on also playing with the performance side of things once the break the thing in, since people seem to agree that air / jet / exhaust are all at least somewhat useful areas to mess around in.

Cheers!

Dave
dnovosel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A couple folks have played with things like that, here's one related thread that popped up.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #3
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Build a dash interface that runs an iphone or driod as the dash with tach and speedo, and all kinds of other things, like bike intercom, music, etc. The phone could also act as the key, without the dash "head" - the phone, the bike won't go....

Then convert the bike to FI and display all that data on the phone as well.

And through this adding the alarm, GPS tracking system, and remote start should all be realistic. An onboard speaker with a duke nukem soundboard for the alarm would be sick as well...

I have no idea how to do any of these things though...

You're ideas sound awesome, can't wait to read about your progress! Welcome and hope you enjoy the bike!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #4
dnovosel
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250R

Pretty much everything you mentioned is possible. Hell, the second part (alarm, gps, remote start) is easy. The iPhone interface is more complicated, and more expensive to implement. Although the ideas are cool.

As for converting to FI, it would be a fun project, but I should probably wait a while on that one [like say during my first year of warranty], and I've never really played with carbs [I'm a FI guy from the start], so I look forward to the learning experience on that one. The first goal is to make the bike better the way it is.

Ultimately, time is the only factor. With the Internet, learning is cheap. Time not so much, but we'll see how much I can throw at the project.

Either way, I'm pumped about my bike, and I can't wait to get started. Hell half this project is easier than figuring out which CAN-BUS values are valid on a car, and how to make an atmega 368 chat with it.

Quick question for anyone... what is the capacity of the stock battery? And how much juice does she draw to start? I want to know what type of draw I could reasonably put on the system for a few days if needed? I'm thinking I might go to solar / li-ons eventually for power since my requirements aren't high, but perhaps someone has an idea on this already?

Thanks,

Dave
dnovosel is offline   Reply With Quote