ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #1
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

2008 250 Ninja with GSX-R exhaust

I know this has been covered somewhat here, but mostly on other sites. I like this, and am in the process of getting the final parts together, but I'm doing it right...I've seen others fortunes with this, one who hated the popping on decel, one who didn't make the cuts right and it stuck out a mile to the right, and another who fried they're #1 cylinder because they chose not to jet the carbs, or even shim the needles. I plan on doing this without cutting the original GSXR can/muffler, and by trying(hopefully) to save my stock header and make it a 'rat slip-on'. Problem is, because of my work schedule and limited time(newborn), I'm doing all of the following...at the same time:

-Front sprocket +1
-GSX-R Exhaust(Possibly even opening the skin to the can, add baffling pack if I'm unable to use the GSXR stock cat/baffling device)
-Jet the carbs
-Remove airbox and replace with K&N dual pod(This may be last, maybe not at all...)

I will try to document as much as possible, maybe even a DIY if it's successful, but no promises. I will promise pics after all is done, hit or miss. Maybe I'll even be selling a slightly used header that is mishaped and a stock can with no flange...

My main question is this: Is there any hardcore smaller engine experts that can give me solid advice as to a 'round-about' A/F # to hit? I know the stock bike is lean, and with the exhaust and air pods, I'm going leaner. But I'm not trying to have a nice looking and sounding bike with 20MPG cause I had to go to a #116 jet. Any help is appreciated, thanks and good night.

-tjk
DmbShn41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #2
kkim

have you looked at the jetting database?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

I tried but my head starting hurting thinking of all the bad things that could happen. Plus, with carbs, and peoples like and dislikes, what someone may like, may not be right. Gonna go back and kill a few more minutes, hoping I get lucky...

Old March 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #4
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

So I made the cut tonite, cutting the flange off my exhaust and shortening the headed pipes. It took a lot of tweaking and fittin to get the cuts right. I'm welding it at work tomorrow, fitting it on the bike on saturday. I'm skipping the airbox project for now, so I can focus on the exhaust. The stock gsxr baffling device can't be used with the stock ninja header. With the pipe a rather small diameter, kawi designed it so close to the engine and the fairings are close to. I would have to guess that to be able to use the baffling can, you would have to make a custom headed that dropped farther off the engine, and cut the bottom flats off the fairings that sit under the engine... Not for me. However, after I separated the gsxr can from the baffling device, I looked inside it and seen some material that I may take out and try to fit into the new exhaust if I'm concerned about it. I took some pics with my iPhone and will try to do a DIY butnbe advised if you're thinking about this, it takes some skill, and some decent tools(cutoff wheel, air compressor, die grinder, half round bastard files, welding equip) and would only suggest this to folks who are keepin their bike for the long haul. Hopefully I'll be tweaking the carbs next weekend, and eventually riding by aprils fools day. Any q's let me know.

Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #5
PSO-08ninja250rblack
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Black Kawasaki ninja 250r

hey just wanted to tell you that im very happy with my gsxr mod. have you checked out the thread i posted?

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM   #6
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Finished with GSXR install. Liking the sound a little, loud though. Going to research what I can install in the header pipe to baffle some more. Here's some pics. Not doing a DIY cause I don't really recommend people hacking their good pipe if they can't fabricate a new can for exhaust. Even after using the flange from stock can, had to mount stainless steel plate to seal up gaps. Will post more info when I find out more. Sorry for garbage iPhone pics, blame Apple for not having an advanced camera on the worlds most advanced phone...

Last futzed with by DmbShn41; March 21st, 2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: trying to post pics

Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM   #7
PSO-08ninja250rblack
ninjette.org member

nice one bro! welcome to the club=)

Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #8
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

it's definately unique and appears to have come together quite well...nice...NICE job!

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM   #9
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
it's definately unique and appears to have come together quite well...nice...NICE job!

Thanks. I rode to work today and folks really like it. I was able to get the header cut back so that when mounted, the bottom of the can aligned with fairings, the angle lined up to the back of the rear set, and it was tight into the swing arm. Support wise, it's sturdy. The noise is...noise. Need to shim the needles this weekend, see where it goes. The low end RPMs are the same still, the mid range is a little weak, but 8k RPM and on is strong. I think that is mainly because of the snorkel removal though. I've decided to leave the airbox as stock, still waiting on my 27mm socket for the sprocket change.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM   #10
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

excellent todd...please let us know how it all goes and good luck. Time for me to mount up and go for a ride! aloha for now

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM   #11
PSO-08ninja250rblack
ninjette.org member

yeah i can recomment silenceing the pipe a little, for me that made the whole difference. when i just got the pipe on, i took the bike for a spin, and was actually a little overwhelmed by the noise. dilemma, cos i LOVE the look but the noise was to much... now i have silenced it and its all good=)

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #12
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

What is the inside diameter?

I found a place to pick up universal baffle and fiberglass wrap but I need to know what the inside diameter is of the GSXR can so I can buy the right size...

I'm cross posting in the GSXR can threads.... don't kill me.

Todd, did you ever baffle it?
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 03:25 AM   #13
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
What is the inside diameter?

I found a place to pick up universal baffle and fiberglass wrap but I need to know what the inside diameter is of the GSXR can so I can buy the right size...

I'm cross posting in the GSXR can threads.... don't kill me.

Todd, did you ever baffle it?
Cocheese,
I never got a chance to finish this project as I had to sell the bike. I was starting to accept the noise, but was still entertaining the idea of a silencer device before the can. Def need to shim the needles, possible rejetting is strongly recommended. Plan on buying another 250 this fall and Ill def do this mod again. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM   #14
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Good luck on the next bike!
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote