ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 9th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Sonofswin
Old Guy, New Bike

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Blue Ninja 250R, Yamaha SRV250

Water Temperature Sensor Voltage

I have a question that may need a bit of explaining.

I've installed a Power Commander V on my FI Ninjette and would like to enable fuel mapping by temperature. I can do this by tapping into the water temperature sensor (Orange wire at Pin #17 of the large ECU connector) and plugging that into the 0~5 volt analog input on the PCV. However, I'll need to input an analog voltage table (with preferably 9 values). So, I need to know what voltage is coming off the temp sensor at given temperatures.

Here is an example of figures I found for a different bike:
Voltage 0.185 0.280 0.471 0.906
Temp. 212.0 180.0 151.0 108.0

Does anyone out there have this data for our ninjettes?

The service manual has the sensor resistance at 3 different temperatures, could that be converted into voltage somehow?

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Sonofswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2
kavo
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitch

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofswin View Post
I have a question that may need a bit of explaining.

I've installed a Power Commander V on my FI Ninjette and would like to enable fuel mapping by temperature. I can do this by tapping into the water temperature sensor (Orange wire at Pin #17 of the large ECU connector) and plugging that into the 0~5 volt analog input on the PCV. However, I'll need to input an analog voltage table (with preferably 9 values). So, I need to know what voltage is coming off the temp sensor at given temperatures.

Here is an example of figures I found for a different bike:
Voltage 0.185 0.280 0.471 0.906
Temp. 212.0 180.0 151.0 108.0

Does anyone out there have this data for our ninjettes?

The service manual has the sensor resistance at 3 different temperatures, could that be converted into voltage somehow?

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Would appreciate this also.

Perhaps using a multimeter could work? V=IR?

Last futzed with by kavo; March 1st, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
kavo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 06:17 AM   #3
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Hi Mike,

nice to see you still here and I hope you're fine.

May I ask you why you want to "kill two flies with one flap"?

The PC is 'only' a piggyback-system which falsifys the signal coming from the ECU, what means this signal already depends on the water-temperature (and for sure all the other measurements from all sensors).

But at least you could do what you want, just only build some electronics so this would work and from what I know many biker in Germany are doing things like this.

Good luck and always a safe ride

PS: Here's a good writeup about the theme (I think you know that Bosch is the inventor of injection-systems): http://www.factorypro.com/tech/Brett...lculations.htm
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 02:19 PM   #4
kavo
ninjette.org member

found this for a s1000rr

Temperature (Fahrenheit) / Voltage
60 / 3.860
71 / 3.580
80 / 3.320
90 / 3.070
100 / 2.752
110 / 2.506
121 / 2.238
136 / 1.870
146 / 1.638
150 / 1.553
171 / 1.117
180 / 1.024
190 / 0.906
200 / 0.783
210 / 0.695
221 / 0.598
230 / 0.526
234 / 0.501

Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Sonofswin
Old Guy, New Bike

Nice Bump!

Good to see this thread getting bumped.

@kavo: I still haven't found the numbers yet. I'm thinking the best way to go about it would be to just contact Dynojet and ask them if they have the figures. Somebody MUST have them since they made the settings available.

@Somchai: Yeah, I'm still here!! Just really busy with lots of other projects and haven't had time to write much. I want to do this because the Power Commander lets you set Air-Fuel ratio according to temperature. I can't do that now, so in the winter when I start the bike, I'll get about 10 seconds of the FI lamp coming on as the PCV and the ECU battle over choking the AF. Since I ride when it's pretty cold out, I find that my map doesn't produce the same good performance I was getting in the summer, as well.

However, it seems the numbers are some kind of damn trade secret, since nobody posts them anywhere! I also don't have the time or tools to check them manually. (It would involve thermometers and voltmeters and more patience than I am equipped with.)

Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #6
kavo
ninjette.org member

I've emailed Chris Kelly at Dynojet for tech help. He has been pretty good so far with other questions and I expect him to write back on Monday (US time). I suggest you also hask dynojet support and maybe we'll get somewhere

Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Good to see this thread getting bumped.

@kavo: I still haven't found the numbers yet. I'm thinking the best way to go about it would be to just contact Dynojet and ask them if they have the figures. Somebody MUST have them since they made the settings available.

@Somchai: Yeah, I'm still here!! Just really busy with lots of other projects and haven't had time to write much. I want to do this because the Power Commander lets you set Air-Fuel ratio according to temperature. I can't do that now, so in the winter when I start the bike, I'll get about 10 seconds of the FI lamp coming on as the PCV and the ECU battle over choking the AF. Since I ride when it's pretty cold out, I find that my map doesn't produce the same good performance I was getting in the summer, as well.

However, it seems the numbers are some kind of damn trade secret, since nobody posts them anywhere! I also don't have the time or tools to check them manually. (It would involve thermometers and voltmeters and more patience than I am equipped with.)
Thank you for the explanation Mike,

but when this is your problem or better to say the reason then please remember that cold air is very different to warm or hot air, so it depends more on the air temperature which makes the combination of a/f so different (I don't really know how to tell this in english, sorry about my poor translation knowledge). I remember long time ago Opel came up with an injection motor which was a good one but when they in the second stage changed the injection to inflow air temperature measurement they'd win 5 hp with this and the fuel usage went down also.
Good luck for your plan.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:17 AM   #8
kavo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I do not know the (voltage to temperature) transfer function of the bike’s stock engine temperature sensor. We can only acquire this, if the bike is originally equipped with a digital readout showing the specific temperature on its stock engine temperature gauge. You would need a volt meter attached to the signal line and a thermometer in the engine coolant simultaneously to get at least 2 data points to configure the signal input.

The Power Commander does not need this engine temperature input unless you are trying to create engine temp based custom fuel changes in the Power Commander programming.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
This is what I got back from power commander

Old March 24th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #9
dooby
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '11 250R SE (FI), '14 Daytona 675, '14 Sprint 1050 GT SE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavo View Post
Perhaps using a multimeter could work? V=IR?
Hmm, I think that should be possible - @Sonofswin, could you post the resistances? I am tempted to find this out so if we can't work it out from the 3 resistance values I might be up for something involving a kettle or an infrared thermometer.

Cheers, Pete
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:10 AM   #10
Sonofswin
Old Guy, New Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
Hmm, I think that should be possible - I am tempted to find this out so if we can't work it out from the 3 resistance values I might be up for something involving a kettle or an infrared thermometer.

Cheers, Pete
Wow, that would be awesome if we could finally solve this mystery.

Here are two relevant portions of the service manual. The table shows the resistance for the ECU and the diagram shows how to test the sensor. I think the testing method may be one way to get the voltage reading.

Sorry for the small pic sizes - I'm still trying to figure out how to use Gimp on a Mac.
Attached Images
File Type: png temp_sensor_resistance.png (23.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png Temp_Sensor_check.png (76.8 KB, 8 views)