ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
SSANGHA
ninjette.org member

Name: Sim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Lightbulb Full Exhaust System on a MGP Growler, possible?

Hi guys, so I just got my MGP Growler a few days ago and I love it. The MGP Growler only comes as a slip on exhaust. I have this idea and want to know if it would work:

Basically, I want to change out my stock pipes and get aftermarket pipes (bigger pipes possibly from TYGA Performance WITHOUT the exhaust tip) and attach my MGP Growler slip on to the new system pipes. Does anyone have any advice on this as to if:

#1: Is it possible?

#2: Will I get a good amount of power increase?

**Note: Jets will be upgraded and K&N Air Filter will replace the stock box. Needles have already been shimmed.
SSANGHA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #2
SSANGHA
ninjette.org member

**AND snorkel has been removed

Old October 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

I got an exhaust reducer and attached my MotoGP can to my headers from my PLMfg. exhaust.

Old October 27th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4
SSANGHA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
I got an exhaust reducer and attached my MotoGP can to my headers from my PLMfg. exhaust.
What kind of power increase did you get from that?

Old October 27th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

No idea. Probably nothing over the PLMfg. muffler. I just had the MGP laying around and I had low sided on the other can so I threw it on.

Old October 27th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #6
WolfgangCG
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Hey, where did you get your exhaust reducer. I have the MGP Growler and just ordered the TYGA Full System w/o silencer but don't know if it will fit straight up. And what size should I get to fit the MGP over it. Thanks
WolfgangCG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
No idea. Probably nothing over the PLMfg. muffler. I just had the MGP laying around and I had low sided on the other can so I threw it on.
675raisinator did the same thing Except he used the headers from the TYGA setup. Damn your photographer takes some crisp photos

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

It's easy to catch a slow moving target.

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangCG View Post
Hey, where did you get your exhaust reducer. I have the MGP Growler and just ordered the TYGA Full System w/o silencer but don't know if it will fit straight up. And what size should I get to fit the MGP over it. Thanks
I took the muffler to NAPA and test fit them.

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #10
WolfgangCG
ninjette.org member

Thanks, didn't even think of that.

Old November 7th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #11
SSANGHA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Did you end up fitting the growler with the TYGA full exhaust? Any increases in HP by any chance? I've been thinking about ordering as well..

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #12
WolfgangCG
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSANGHA View Post
Did you end up fitting the growler with the TYGA full exhaust? Any increases in HP by any chance? I've been thinking about ordering as well..
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118476

I did, and I most definitely feel and hear the difference. For the price it was worth it. It has got a bit more power in the low to mid range also sounds a lot deeper and much more aggressive. I ordered a 2" ODx4" L exhaust baffle to fit into the growler to make it a bit more bearable by dropping a few dB's.

http://zx6r.com/zx6r/26236-custom-baffle.html

Old November 7th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #13
SSANGHA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118476

I did, and I most definitely feel and hear the difference. For the price it was worth it. It has got a bit more power in the low to mid range also sounds a lot deeper and much more aggressive. I ordered a 2" ODx4" L exhaust baffle to fit into the growler to make it a bit more bearable by dropping a few dB's.

http://zx6r.com/zx6r/26236-custom-baffle.html
Awesome! You said you had to weld on the MGP to the tyga pipes? Was the process pretty hard. I don't weld...do you recommend any places that might
Be able to do it for me? Is there no aftermarket extension I can buy that fill fit it so I don't have to go through the hassle of welding?

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #14
WolfgangCG
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSANGHA View Post
Awesome! You said you had to weld on the MGP to the tyga pipes? Was the process pretty hard. I don't weld...do you recommend any places that might
Be able to do it for me? Is there no aftermarket extension I can buy that fill fit it so I don't have to go through the hassle of welding?
You can get a reducer made for it, or order a reducer from NAPA but i didn't want to wait and order or custom make a reducer so I just took it to a local custom exhaust shop for cars and had them cut a steel pipe, blow up the end of the header to make it wider and weld the growler down so that it would be flawless. If you are not going to keep the growler I don't recommend welding it but I enjoy the growler and just got my exhaust baffle. I will probably custom fit the baffle in a month or so. Just had surgery yesterday due to an accident I got into about three months ago on the bike so I cant do any work on it for now. Ill keep posting once I get better, just got some aluminum foot pegs from competition werks, yoshi sliders and a CBR 250 rear hugger.

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #15
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I can't recommend the growler to anyone. There's a kid in my town that has one, he lives right across the street from my girlfriend. We can hear him from the basement when he starts it and leaves, or when he comes back home.

When I'm at my house, I can hear him from the the stop sign a half mile away when he turns on to my road, and then I can hear him for about a mile after he's gone past my house. No joke, no exaggerations. It's ridiculous.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #16
WolfgangCG
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I can't recommend the growler to anyone. There's a kid in my town that has one, he lives right across the street from my girlfriend. We can hear him from the basement when he starts it and leaves, or when he comes back home.

When I'm at my house, I can hear him from the the stop sign a half mile away when he turns on to my road, and then I can hear him for about a mile after he's gone past my house. No joke, no exaggerations. It's ridiculous.
Yea, but once you put a header on it and add a baffle it will be more tolerable and still sound great. The whole point is that the cars could never say they couldn't hear you coming. Loud pipes save lives, especially in Florida. To each their own brotha, it might be loud but the growlers deep tone is the best sounding can for the price; add a header it will sound mean and people will break neck which means they know you are there.

Old November 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #17
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Yea, but once you put a header on it and add a baffle it will be more tolerable and still sound great.
headers make it perform better. Baffles plug it up.

Quote:
The whole point is that the cars could never say they couldn't hear you coming. Loud pipes save lives, especially in Florida...

...and people will break neck which means they know you are there.
well... ok. I just won't go there.

Quote:
it might be loud but the growlers deep tone is the best sounding can for the price; add a header it will sound mean
Long can with a high volume of packing around a core that's the same diameter as headers is best. It won't be obnoxious without a baffle, it will perform well, and it's very deep.

Last futzed with by choneofakind; November 7th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Loud pipes save lives, especially in Florida.
Don't be an idiot, do you really think the car in front of you with closed windows and the music on can hear you? They can't. I was riding with Sim who has an annoying ass growler, I don't wear ear plugs, the only thing reducing sound is my helmet, I couldn't hear her bike when she was behind me. That's with no sound proofing and no other noise except the wind. A car is a much more enclosed space, they won't hear you, you are fooling yourself. The only cars that will hear you are the ones behind you that can also see you because news flash, the exhaust points backwards
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote