ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #1
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

First "long" freeway ride, and it was a windy day

Only a 40 mi trip, but gusty side winds + minor elevation changes + grooved concrete freeway + curves = bike all over the place! Man that's hard work (but I crossed the 1000 mile mark!) Made me nervous as hell. Felt like the wind was going to rip my helmet straight up and off my head! Is that due to the small wind screen directing the air above my chest and towards my head??
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Only a 40 mi trip, but gusty side winds + minor elevation changes + grooved concrete freeway + curves = bike all over the place! Man that's hard work (but I crossed the 1000 mile mark!) Made me nervous as hell...........

You are brave !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Once I went riding into a very strong wind and had that same feeling of my helmet getting ripped off my head.

Found that though the strap was tight on my chin, the helmet was still loose enough to pull. Since then I have been pulling it tight, then giving it another tug. Not to the point of choking but so you have no doubt that the strap is against your chin. Haven't had the issue since.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Good work, Jay! I remember the first time on a freeway, thinking pretty much the same thing. I also remember the first time on grooved pavement on the bike.

Well done! Pretty soon, it'll be second nature.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
woooohooo brave indeed!! grooved pavement scared the crap out of me when I first encountered it.

I passed my 2000 mile mark today! and it was really windy here too. I rode 20 mins on the straight freeway and was okay, but on the way home I got back onto the freeway and the wind was blowing me sideways so hard that I immediately got off at the first exit. I had to really lean hard into the wind to stay in my lane and upright. sometimes if you're brave you can power through it and sometimes the little voice in your head tells you to stop it right now

I kind of like the chaos that the wind creates though. noise everywhere and constant corrections of the bike and still looking around for potential hazards and still navigating through traffic... I like the demand it puts on my mind to concentrate at 100%
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14

one of my worst experiences on a motorcycle was last winter with the roads salted to hell and crazy cross winds. Instead of the normal wind pushing you from the top the wind pushed me from the bottom as the tire slipped and I had to steer with it :/

Normal wind you get used to pretty quickly, steering into it becomes second nature, but congrats on the first try I had to ride freeway a lot earlier than that and it was pretty stressful at first.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #7
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Where in the Bay are you? I remember when there were times it felt really scary for me as a new rider because of high winds, but those same windy situations don't feel like much anymore. Make sure you're staying loose; tensing up from being nervous or scared will only make things worse. Tucking also helps a lot on windy days. I still dislike grooved pavement no matter the weather though lol.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #8
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Stay relaxed, stay calm, and tuck. I always tuck when passing trucks. They displace a lot of air. Also, try to avoid riding close behind semis because they cause strong wind buffeting (wake turbulence) not to mention reducing your visibility. I like to stay at least 4-5 car lengths behind, or get it and get out from behind quickly

Last futzed with by GearMonkey; April 11th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #9
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

As above, stay loose on the bars, the bike will track it's own path on the grooves, unless it's sending you into another lane you should be ok.

Tuck & consider a double bubble screen to send the wind higher
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #10
redbike2
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250

stay loose, relax

like they all say

stay relaxed and loose - soon it will feel completely natural in high winds.

the ninjette 250 sits down well

i once rode a honda cbr 250 in windy conditions. it does not sit down so well and feels underpowered in such conditions. the ninjette is really a much better bike.

have fun, be safe
redbike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:26 PM   #11
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Yes, over at ninja300 forum, I reported my hands were getting very sore / stiff painful. Posters quickly identified that I was a death grip rider lol. It was like learning to ride all over again, staying loose on the bars. All my hand pain went away though.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:27 AM   #12
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

You'll get used to the wind.

This beast, while tons of fun, and extremely comfortable (I rode KS to WA once) was a PITA on a strong crosswind. Grooved pavement never stops sucking, though.

Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote