ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

n'jet from NJ to NY, am I really that crazy?

Often times I like to visit friends in long island, i'll n'jet from NJ to NY to see them over the weekend and n'jet back. but before i left ny to come home yesterday i got gas. while there another rider overheard me telling the guy at the pump im from nj. he said, your riding out to nj? your nuts! But it wasn't bad at all, I had the cross island parkway, the cross bronx expressway, route 4, route 280, and 287, smooth roads through and through for the most part. Does anyone else ever njet across states over bridges and such? or am i the only lunatic who doesn't think its dangerous? hell i wanted to join the belt parkway group from brooklyn to bear mountain in NJ for the ride home if time permitted!

i have to admit during the off season when i went out there by car i thought "i cant believe i did this on the bike all the time, what am i nuts?"

Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
It's a vehicle. They are roads.

What's the problem?

BTW, I'm in the area so I know these roads well. I grew up in Pelham (first town in Westchester outside of Da Bronx) and now live in Connecticut.

If you don't ride like an asshat and assume that everyone else will drive (or ride) like one, you should be fine.

Mind you, I don't LIKE riding through the city and will avoid it if at all possible, but I'll do it if I have to.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:55 AM   #3
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

thats very encouraging. glad to know i'm not really doing anything unreasonable.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have done several long distance rides from state to state and over bridges with no problems. No you are not crazy they are.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:08 PM   #5
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

There is no problem, I ride to nyc/long island at least twice a week and never had a problem. It's much easier on the ninjette given you can lane split when traffic gets heavy.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #6
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Just watch out for the wind and metal roadways on the bridges, and the congestion - leave yourself escape routes in traffic, and like in all cities, everyone wanting to cut someone else off to get 5' ahead in the traffic.
I'm just glad I don't have to drive those roads anymore.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote