ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #1
klewi
Ninjette of the North

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Digital Video Cameras

I know GoPro and similar cameras are popular for video on bikes but does anyone use a hand held digital video camera? I own a Sony HD camera and was thinking of picking up a ram mount for use with my gps and my video camera. Thoughts?

Old December 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #2
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Wind noise would be terrible, and it's not very aerodynamic making it unstable at high speeds. I thought the same thing, but I don't want to jeopardize a $600 camera shaking in the wind.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #3
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

If you could mount it inside your helmet like some motovloggers do it probably wouldn't be bad, but gopros and contour hds and other similar motorsport cameras are designed to be used in our sport and are much better suited for it. I walked out of bestbuy with a gopro hd hero 960 and a suction cup mount for under $200, probably could've done the same thing with the full 1080p variant had I waited for black friday. $150 isn't bad for the hd hero 960 if you don't mind dropping the money on it and don't absolutely have to have 1080P or 720p at 60fps (960 only records 720p at 30fps)
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #4
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

We can save our money Kyle. If we what to do some video, we can borrow a GoPro from Steve, Mike or Ross. They each have one they hardly use.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by klewi View Post
I know GoPro and similar cameras are popular for video on bikes but does anyone use a hand held digital video camera? I own a Sony HD camera and was thinking of picking up a ram mount for use with my gps and my video camera. Thoughts?
Do not bother, I have spent countless hours trying to make my Kodak Zx3 work as a video camera for my rides. The vibration is virtually impossible to overcome.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #6
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Did you try something with motion stabilization? Why are GoPro's different other than size?

Old December 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Did you try something with motion stabilization? Why are GoPro's different other than size?
I believe it is mostly the size and weight. When on a ram mount the vibration was exacerbated by the kodaks weight and made video unusable. I tried essentially bolting the kodak directly onto the gas tank and worked rather well, but it is immobile. Honestly, worth it investing in a real camera.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #8
n4mwd

Have you tried one of the keychain cams? I got one and taped it to my front fender. Got pretty good video. I had issues with the SD card not being fast enough so the sound was messed up. I got a faster SD card and all is well.

Old December 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

This summer I got a good deal on a HD camera. It was a rather odd choice of camera to use for recording riding, but it seems to have worked out fine. I was looking at some cameras and other stuff when I ran across one for $19.00. What was interesting was the really low price. The normal price ranged anywhere between $55- $139 bucks. I thought it was a misprint or scam or something else. Out of curiosity I called an inquired about it. The customer service rep at Sears did a hell of a job locating a store that had one. Amazingly enough the price at the store was...$11.00!! Yes, $11.97 to be exact. The average cost of a Digital Disposable Camera...about $10.

Told the sales clerk to hold it for me. The box had not been opened nor returned. The reason for such the low price....closeout. This is what it is

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1323213433147

I actually paid more for the memory than the camera, the whole thing was under $40.

So far the thing is nice. Does not run long on cheap batteries though. Just a little over 1.5 hrs on cheap batteries videoing in HD. Rechargables work better. Mounting? Inside my tank bag as it sits and shoots from behind the wind screen.

This is one of the videos I've taken with it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zJiZ...layer_embedded
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sears.pdf (50.4 KB, 3 views)

Last futzed with by DaBlue1; December 6th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #10
n4mwd

That link to sears doesn't work. I don't think its supposed to have '...' in it.

Old December 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
That link to sears doesn't work. I don't think its supposed to have '...' in it.
Sorry. Link fixed.

Old December 6th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #12
n4mwd

Looks like a great deal on a camera, but I'm not convinced its all that practical for a motorcycle. How would you mount the thing?

Old December 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Looks like a great deal on a camera, but I'm not convinced its all that practical for a motorcycle. How would you mount the thing?
It has a tripod mount hole on the bottom, so you could basically mount it with conventional mounts ( ram, suction cups, etc) with a little ingenuity. Like I said it was odd choice for riding but it works. For $11 it was well worth the try.