ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #1
poo poo
kinda sorta noob

Name: poo poo

Motorcycle(s): '03 and '08

Help! Heat shield bolts stripped!

So I'm all ready to put on the new exhaust (a black one off of a '10 model - mine's an '08 with the chrome exhaust). I get to the hex bolt thingees on the shield, and they essentially melt like butter when I try to get them off. I didn't think they'd be that crappy! So.. any tips or tricks on what I might be able to do to get those out? It sucks having a new exhaust and not being able to install it. Thanks in advance for any secrets!

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

don't need to remove the heat shield to remove the exhaust. the bolts on mine stripped out too. juts loosen the band clamp the holds the exhaust can on the header and you'll be able to slip off the whole unit. if your new exhaust didn't come with the heat shield, dremel a groove into the bolt heads and remove them with a screwdriver.

have fun......
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #3
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by poo poo View Post
So I'm all ready to put on the new exhaust (a black one off of a '10 model - mine's an '08 with the chrome exhaust). I get to the hex bolt thingees on the shield, and they essentially melt like butter when I try to get them off. I didn't think they'd be that crappy! So.. any tips or tricks on what I might be able to do to get those out? It sucks having a new exhaust and not being able to install it. Thanks in advance for any secrets!
picture of the "hex bolt thingees"?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
poo poo
kinda sorta noob

Ohhh....! I'll try it!

Thanks! I'll try just leaving the shield on. I had no idea it didn't have to be removed! You just saved me from buying a screw extractor! Now I just have to buy screws for the new shield (which came with). Thanks
For your help, and thanks to kkim for lobbying the 'photo upload' function, of which I am a huge proponent, although this time I did vacillate a bit.....

Thank u!

Old September 7th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Were you using SAE on the Metric hex bolts? That'll do it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #6
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Were you using SAE on the Metric hex bolts? That'll do it.
Yes, yes it will /went and bought new stanley metric set of everything for the bike XD
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #7
poo poo
kinda sorta noob

Thumbs up Demp, duh... Good idea.

That's #1 on my newly revised priority list. Thks for settin' me straight. Seriously!