ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

Airbox removal and jetting + other questions

I'm doing a valve job on my bike, and the friend that is helping me (he's a mechanic) figures it's likely easiest to pull the whole motor. In order to do that the airbox has to come out, and judging by the threads on here it's a major pain to do. If it's that big a problem to get it out, i can only imagine it being worse to get back in so I've considered switching to pod filters but have a couple questions.

If I switch to pod filters, am I going to have to get a jet kit? Right now I've got 1 shim under each needle, stock exhaust and have pulled the snorkel. It runs well, but was planning to use another shim on each needle this season.

Am I going to have problems with riding in the rain? The last couple trips we went on, the weather was horrible and it rained A LOT. Am I going to have to worry about riding in severe rain with the pods?

If I use pod filters, do I have to remove the klean air system? I've read that removing that with the factory exhaust can damage the cat, and I don't want an aftermarket system on this bike.

If pod filters aren't an option (due to any or all of the above) how much of a pain is it to get the stock airbox back in?

thanks
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
I'm doing a valve job on my bike, and the friend that is helping me (he's a mechanic) figures it's likely easiest to pull the whole motor. In order to do that the airbox has to come out, and judging by the threads on here it's a major pain to do. If it's that big a problem to get it out, i can only imagine it being worse to get back in so I've considered switching to pod filters but have a couple questions.

If I switch to pod filters, am I going to have to get a jet kit? Right now I've got 1 shim under each needle, stock exhaust and have pulled the snorkel. It runs well, but was planning to use another shim on each needle this season.
Yes, you need to rejet

Am I going to have problems with riding in the rain? The last couple trips we went on, the weather was horrible and it rained A LOT. Am I going to have to worry about riding in severe rain with the pods?
Not sure, but i would think so in severe rain.

If I use pod filters, do I have to remove the klean air system? I've read that removing that with the factory exhaust can damage the cat, and I don't want an aftermarket system on this bike.
the klean air system is basically like an EGR system in cars. If you gonna run pods and rejet, you might as well run an aftermarket exhaust to get the most of those mods too.

If pod filters aren't an option (due to any or all of the above) how much of a pain is it to get the stock airbox back in?
mine is still in, but i imagine its a pain to take out and reinstall.
thanks
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you can get the airbox out, you can get it back in

but if you're going through all the work of installing pods, why would you every put it back in? I'm debating whether or not I want to keep mine. Right now I have the pregen equivalent of de-snorkeling, and I'm itching to just tear that sucker out and put on an R-0990 to try and get every ounce of top end power out of her, but I'm wondering how much fuel economy that would kill...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #4
jasle
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

We have the airbox removed and today we raced in torrential downpours during practice, puddles on the track... no problems.

some recommendations-Properly oil you filter, Use an "outwear" cover, it repels any water that might splash on the filter.

you cannot simply put a shim under the needle if you remove the airbox...you will need to rejet. but wondering why you would want to remove the airbox if you don't want aftermarket pipes on there? the main constraint of the air pump is the exhaust. Little benefit from no airbox when you don't do a pipe...

And not sure what you read...easy as pie to remove the airbox...comes out the back. Take the tail section off, mud flap off, shock off...20 mins top.