ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM   #1
SoCal
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

New to the biking world.

Hey guys. I just got my motorcycle license and am currently searchin the market in the southern California area for a good beginner bike at a reasonable price (I don't want to cough up a lot of money for my first bike). I would love to find an 07-09 Ninja 250r because I learned on one and loved it.

I was wondering if you had any tips for when looking at bikes...prices, what to look for, etc.

Thanks for all the help.

p.s. love the site.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #2
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Welcome! Find a bike that suits your needs and you will be happy with!
Posted via Mobile Device
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

There's a big difference between 07 and 08+. The 07 is still part of the old gens while the 08+'s are the new gens. I've seen 07's on craigslist for $1900 with low miles. Cheapest new gen I saw was a 09 green for $2699 in Oceanside.
There's a lot to look for, but generally not much can happen to the bike in 3 years and most people buy the 250 as their first bike so they're generally careful on it (not too many people will trick on it or wheelie). Biggest thng you're looking for is if it's ever been dropped. If the seller has maintenance records, that's a huge plus.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:58 PM   #4
SVBS
ninjette.org member

Name: KT

Motorcycle(s): 1 of them Big Four

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2037842078.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2037170021.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2035038845.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2031896072.html

craigslist is your friend

have fun
SVBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:45 AM   #5
SoCal
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the help guys. I looked at those on craigslist links before I posted. Im actually going to look at some of em this weekend.

Is 3k too much to fork out for a first bike? Like for an 09 Ninja 250r?

Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:03 AM   #6
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

welcome!
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:18 AM   #7
SoCal
ninjette.org member

You guys know of any good links of articles (or even videos would be nice) that give the low down on how to inspect a used bike? I wanna make sure I don't miss something critical me being new and all.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I looked at those on craigslist links before I posted. Im actually going to look at some of em this weekend.

That is pretty much what 09's go for so no, I don't see them droping in price a whole lot either.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Well I consider myself overpaying at almost $5500 brand new for a 09 SE green but now that I've had it for over a year, I really dont care how much I paid for it. I easily saved that much in both Gas and Insurance. So in the end what's another $1.5-2k. That's not to say you shouldnt look for a good deal but paying a little more for better records or lower mileage and definitely "not dropped/crashed" is worth it. Just my thoughts.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #10
SoCal
ninjette.org member

I went and looked at an 07 Ninja 250r today and it was in decent condition. There were some minor dents on the tank (2 roughly 1.5in in diameter) and some scratches on the tail pipe. I figured this was an obvious indication that it was dropped; however they said it was nearly 0mph. There was also some minor rust in these areas.

I checked the chain sprockets, frame under seat, etc...

are the dents and rust something to be cautious about. the price is @ $1900 btw.

Old November 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #11
SVBS
ninjette.org member

Name: KT

Motorcycle(s): 1 of them Big Four

that's a decent deal, check the rust thoroughly, if it's just speckle of rust, maybe it's been outside, it can be sand off, if the rust are deep gouge and eating into metal, then don't buy it, safety hazard, enjoy your new toy if you do buy it
SVBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #12
rwheelz
Moroccan Gold Imports

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): '03 ZX9R, '03 ZX7R & wife's '09 250R

We picked up a mint condition 2009 with 930 miles on it for $2076 (we do not have sales tax here though). The local mint/low-mileage/as-new earlier style bikes (07 and earlier) are all under 2 grand, and look like they just rolled out of the show room. From what I see on here, the prices for these bikes vary widely depending on your geographic location.

At $1900, you should definitely getting a bike in as-new condition if it is a 2007 model, not one that was dropped and has damage. That bike would sell for more like $1500 around here.

Old November 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #13
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelz View Post
We picked up a mint condition 2009 with 930 miles on it for $2076 (we do not have sales tax here though). The local mint/low-mileage/as-new earlier style bikes (07 and earlier) are all under 2 grand, and look like they just rolled out of the show room. From what I see on here, the prices for these bikes vary widely depending on your geographic location.

At $1900, you should definitely getting a bike in as-new condition if it is a 2007 model, not one that was dropped and has damage. That bike would sell for more like $1500 around here.
You would be lucky to find a pregen with that low miles for 2k in so-cal.

Try the dealerships and see If they have any 09 in stock, you should be able to get a good deal for them and get it at 3500 otd. They are stocked on 10's and the Kawasaki is going to push the 11's on them soon. They will all want the white 11 se as it is going to sell well haggle and see what you can get.

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #14
8gauge
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Limited Edition - R.I.P. 12/2/2010

Quote:

I got a 2010 limited edition, came with the fenders cut and a Jardine RT5 slip on. had 3k miles on it, and i got it for $3,000. You should try to go lower, especially if it still has that hideous stock tail fender.

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #15
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gauge View Post
I got a 2010 limited edition, came with the fenders cut and a Jardine RT5 slip on. had 3k miles on it, and i got it for $3,000. You should try to go lower, especially if it still has that hideous stock tail fender.
If you can catch someone that needs to sell for financial reasons you can get a deal like that, it's not common though at least not from what I have seen. I try to keep track of the 09 prices to see what mine will be valued at when I go to sell next year.

Old November 4th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #16
8gauge
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Limited Edition - R.I.P. 12/2/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
If you can catch someone that needs to sell for financial reasons you can get a deal like that, it's not common though at least not from what I have seen. I try to keep track of the 09 prices to see what mine will be valued at when I go to sell next year.
what you're saying is true. But what i meant is, he should try to squeeze the best deal out because he shouldn't pay the same price i did for an older bike. especially if the tank is all banged up...

Old November 6th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #17
SoCal
ninjette.org member

The guy who is selling is from Finland so Im hoping I can prob get him down to 1500 cash. But then again im going to look at some 09 Ninjas this weekend which are around $3,000-$3,500 with less than 2k miles on em.

I checked the rust and it was pretty minor, but the dents in the tank do worry me a bit. Wish me luck!

Old November 6th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #18
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
The guy who is selling is from Finland so Im hoping I can prob get him down to 1500 cash. But then again im going to look at some 09 Ninjas this weekend which are around $3,000-$3,500 with less than 2k miles on em.

I checked the rust and it was pretty minor, but the dents in the tank do worry me a bit. Wish me luck!
As long as the rust is not bad I would not worry about the dents too much as it's just cosmetic. As long as you don't mind them it would just be cosmetic.

I agree with trying to talk the guy down as well. Get the best deal you can for the bile you want.

Old November 14th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #19
SoCal
ninjette.org member

Hey guys thanks for the help! I just picked up an 09 Kawa Ninja 250 on Saturday!! I go to go get my license on Wednesday. I've ridden it around my enclosed neighborhood and so far I love it! So nice.

Old November 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #20
ahenthus
ninjette.org member

Name: Claude

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1994 HD Sportster, 1975 Yamaha XS650B and many works in progress.

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll love it. I got my 08 a few months ago and it's great. The most fun I've had on a motorcycle in 50 years of riding.
ahenthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #21
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Congrats!
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote