ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old November 19th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #1
sutadarkside
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): none yet

help with new rider gear.

So I'm going to be taking the MSF course in about 2 weeks, but I'm wanting to go ahead and take advantage of the black friday/ cyber monday sales some places are having to get most if not all of my gear. I have a few ideas, but for the most part I'm clueless.

Key points.

I'm on a limited budget (as most of us are) I'd like to try to stay around $500-$600 for all gear if possible (can always upgrade later, but want to get a good starting point without braking the bank.)

I live in central florida and most of my riding will probably be downtown orlando, so stop and go traffic in florida heat/ humidity.

What I'm thinking.

Helmet: I'm almost completely sold on the Bell Vortex. Inexpensive, GREAT ventilation, Snell and Dot approved. Was also told to check out the 707 vendetta 2, but I can't find much on ventilation for it.

Jacket: Teknic Supervent Mesh. I like the looks, CE armor, mesh is a plus for florida heat, but the few mesh jackets I've tried on didnt seem like they would do much in a crash. This one looks sturdier than the ones I've seen in person, but no way to try it out. I prefer the sportier look than that of the Kilimanjaro etc.

Gloves: Teknic Chicane. Only seen these online, but they look sturdier than others I've seen at that price point (my only reference is cycle gear.) Seem to have good venting and protection. Will probably want a full gauntlet glove eventually, but these seem like a good compromise for now.

Pants: no clue. Something with CE padding. Will probably just use sturdy jeans for the MSF course.

Boots: also no clue. Must go above the ankle. I currently have a pair of military combat boots that cover the ankle, but dont have much/ any padding. Might protect from some sliding, but no impact protection at all.

If I get the helmet, jacket, and gloves combo listed above it leaves me about $100-$200 for boots and pants. If anyone has any personal experiences with the gear listed above, either positive or negative, I'd love to hear it. Also if anyone has any ideas for pants, boots, or as a replacement to something listed above, I would be grateful.
sutadarkside is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #2
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

it all looks good. cant say i have experience with the listed gear though. Also, about pants or boots; youre going to end up spending at least 220$+ on boots with proper protection and close to 200$ on pants with CE protection.

I say use that that 200 and purchase boots so by the time you get your pants, the boots will have broken in.

good luck
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #3
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Not sure if they have what you're looking for but keep in mind that Cyclegear will give you a 15% discount on your first purchase with them if you have your MSF.

Old November 20th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #4
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutadarkside View Post

Helmet: "The vortex should serve you well, and it doesn't break the bank."

Jacket: Teknic Supervent Mesh. "Dude that jacket is an awesome deal, great price, a lot of features, looks great and has great reviews. I wish I had one for those hot Savannah, GA days."

Gloves: Teknic Chicane. "Yes please, go with the full gauntlet, the chicanes for their price point are great and should be adequate for what you are doing. I have the A* SP2 gloves as my first, although a bit more expensive, I figured I would have these gloves for many years and would need more protection. It's $50 more though."

Pants: "For everyday use of the bike, to the MSF course try these: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

I've been wearing a couple pairs of these for a couple months and I couldn't be happier. They are very roomy, very ventilated, and somewhat protective for denim pants.

Boots: "It depends what you are going to be doing with the bike. Are you going to be doing a lot of commuting and everyday use or riding just for fun? These are the boots I wear for everything right now and are super nice, but don't break the bank. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #5
sutadarkside
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBNTH View Post
Not sure if they have what you're looking for but keep in mind that Cyclegear will give you a 15% discount on your first purchase with them if you have your MSF.
Yeah, the local store didn't seem to have that much. I'm gonna go in tomorrow to ask about black friday deals and I'll check again now that I know what I'm looking for. Last time I was there it seemed like 1/3 bilt, 1/3 sedici, and 1/3 everything else. Does anyone know if the 15% off for MSF can be used online? If so I'll probably get whatever has more than 15% off for black friday, and wait until after the MSF to get everything else.

@NDspd
Thanks for the tips, since I posted this, I've been looking at these as they have CE built in. I thought I had seen either joe rocket or icon jeans with CE armor for less than $150, but I can't seem to find them now.

As for how I will be riding, about 2 miles to and from work every day, with longer "fun rides" some mornings or on my days off.

Old November 21st, 2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Quote:

Gloves: Teknic Chicane. Only seen these online, but they look sturdier than others I've seen at that price point (my only reference is cycle gear.) Seem to have good venting and protection. Will probably want a full gauntlet glove eventually, but these seem like a good compromise for now.
If you mean these gloves:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...oves-Long-2011

I have a pair that I bought on sale. The leather felt rather thin compared to my other sturdier gloves, and there's no hard finger knuckle protection. However, for $20 on sale, I'd say they are ok and much better the most of the other cheap gloves available at Cycle Gear. If you are looking at a higher price point for the same glove, I think there are better alternatives around the $40-$50 range.
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Actually you were probably talking about these (or similar):

Chicane Short Glove

I have the gauntlet version of the same glove, construction looks to be similar so my comments above are the same, except this version doesn't protect your wrist.

Old November 21st, 2011, 03:30 PM   #8
sutadarkside
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoseph View Post
Actually you were probably talking about these (or similar):

Chicane Short Glove

I have the gauntlet version of the same glove, construction looks to be similar so my comments above are the same, except this version doesn't protect your wrist.
Yes, I was looking at the short glove (though I want a full gauntlet). It looks like the one I was looking at is a slightly newer version, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...e-street-glove
Thanks for the tip. Revzilla has it listed at $45, any thoughts on a better full glove around this price point?

Old November 21st, 2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes, I was looking at the short glove (though I want a full gauntlet). It looks like the one I was looking at is a slightly newer version, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...e-street-glove
Thanks for the tip. Revzilla has it listed at $45, any thoughts on a better full glove around this price point?
The newer version looks a little cooler, not sure if the materials are that different.

I was looking at this glove before, but it's been on clearance for a while and I'm not sure what's still available:

Cortech Injector Gloves

I own a pair of these:

Kobe Pro Racing Gloves

The price is a bit higher but it's a lot better protection for the money. (A lot of good glove options start opening up at the $100 mark)

On the pants, I find that most riding pants are loose in the knees (so armor could shift) and are quite lacking in terms of good hip/tailbone armor. So maybe consider buying some knee guards: Knox Cross Knee Guards and some armored shorts: Bohn Armored Shorts. These will fit more snug in case of a tumble and keep armor where it's supposed to be. However, they do not provide abrasion resistance so you still need some nylon or kevlar pants.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM   #10
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Glad to help sutadarkside
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #11
G-Ride
ninjette.org newbie

Name: G

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

For cheap riding boots, I recommend these Cortech boots:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...o-air-rr-boots

I wouldn't recommend getting those $80 Bilt boots from Cycle Gear - they're only a step up from tennis shoes
G-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #12
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Look at some Speed and Strength gear. They have some high quality gear at damn good prices. I have a helmet and my commuter jacked is a SS coast is clear. I went down twice int eh jacket and once in a helm that i replaced with another SS helmet. Boots and gloves by them are kind of meh though.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #13
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Don't know if you have bought a helmet yet, but I have the 707 Vendetta 2 helmet. I like it but it isn't amazing. It is my first helmet so I have nothing to compare it to but it is a pretty great deal for the price. I only have 2 complaints with it. The non fog visor fogs up when it is cold and I come to a stop. I don't know if that happens with other visors or not. And they don't make sweet iridium visors for the helmet. So I settled for the dark smoke visor. But that's it. I really do like the helmet though.

And fora jacket you were saying you wanted a mesh jacket but with some actual protection. Check out this jacket...http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1001038 I have this jacket and love it. You will sweat in it in the summer but it isn't too hot if you are riding. But I believe it will survive a fall. It has leather in all the big impact areas which is nice. And it looks pretty good too. My first jacket had a faulty zipper so I took it back to CG and they just gave me a new jacket. I like the 5 year warranty on this pretty cheap jacket. Check it out.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 09:42 PM   #14
sutadarkside
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'm still looking for pants/ boots, but have figured almost everything else out. Almost 100% sold on the Bell Vortex, great helmet at a great price. For gloves, I'm probably gonna order the Kobe Pro Racer gloves. I went ahead and ordered my jacket, I went with the leather teknic chicane. Found the 2011 model for $130 on clearance. I wanted a red or white/ silver jacket, but for $200 off, I'll settle for blue.