ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 13th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #1
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

Pilot Screws

So I finally decided to take the bike apart and rejet the carbs and what a pita it was to get there. It was my first time taking anything other than the rear seat off my bike and it was quite the adventure. I finally got to the carbs after hours of work and when I drilled the caps to get to the idle mixture screws, I went a little off center on one of them and when I stuck a drywall screw to pop the top off, I ended up chipping some of the metal around the pilot screw itself.
Also, I stripped a screw... but that's the least of my worries.

I WILL post pictures tomorrow, but I was wondering if any of you guys knew just how long the threaded part of the pilot screws would be.

On a side note, I was putting the airbox back and it wouldn't go far enough forward for both of the allens to go in. I got the one on the left to go in fine and the one on the right was just slightly off, so I couldn't put it back.

On the side of a side note, bike runs fine, no leaks, nothing abnormal (aside from the possible hot CDI issue which I noticed on hot days last summer), feels stronger on the top end and smoother on the low end.
hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodadooda View Post
I was wondering if any of you guys knew just how long the threaded part of the pilot screws would be.
why would you need to know that?

pilot jets or mixture screws?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #3
crankinaway
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I think he means mixture screw and would like to know the depth of thread so he will know if the screw still has enough bite to prevent replacing the more costly carb body. I think he will have the best opinion on whether it is safe to ride unless we can see a picture.
crankinaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

And it was right there in his hands, and he didnt un-screw it to find out......
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #5
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Yes, the rumor is true "The pilot may be screwed!"
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #6
kkim

I've never removed the mixture screws from the ninja 250 carbs so I can't answer his question about how much threads are left.

Pictures would really help us to determine how screwed he really is, though.

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #7
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

Puns... lots of them here... good thing I like 'em

Sorry, had work from 7-3 Eastern Time, so I couldn't do anything right away.

Heres a pic, let me know how screwed I am.

Do I need a new carb?

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #8
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

the thread of that mixture screw are on the wall (inside) of the carb. If you turn that mixture screw, you can actually back it all teh way out. The other side of that mixture screw is shaped like a needle with some holes in it. Anyways, I guess you can repair the thread with some thread maker...but if the thread is bad at the "top" and you can turn that screw 3-4 turns then you're good cuz that's basically the range you'll need to adjust..dont' need to back it up all the way out.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #9
randomwalk101
self wrencher

oh, just saw the pic...holy crap..you cracked it?? man. well if it doesn't leak and you can adjust the screws then I guess it's "okay".

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #10
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
oh, just saw the pic...holy crap..you cracked it?? man. well if it doesn't leak and you can adjust the screws then I guess it's "okay".
I guess the only way to find out how much thread is left is to just see how far I go without it falling out. I may have just bought myself a new carb with this incident....

Old June 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #11
kkim

do you still have the piece that broke off? perhaps you can use something like JB weld to get it back together?

Even w/o repair, as long as you can adjust it to where you want it and it doesn't fall out or leak, you'll be fine, I think.

The good thing is used carbs on Ebay run about $100, if it comes down to that... that's usually for a full set of 2 carbs.

Old June 14th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Guess I have to wait to get home to see the pic

Old June 14th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #13
kkim

can you see it now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sdc10575.jpg (88.8 KB, 4 views)

Old June 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #14
g21-30

Aftermarket replacement mixture screws (see picture) are available here:

http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/...products_id=28

Old June 14th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #15
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
can you see it now?
Yeah, Ouch!

Think I would have backed it out to see what kind of threads it still had covered.

Old June 14th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #16
crankinaway
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I agree if you still have the piece you may be able to JB weld but if you can adjust for you needs and it don't leak....don't fix it.

On a side note can you drill out the caps with the carbs on the bike?
crankinaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #17
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankinaway View Post
On a side note can you drill out the caps with the carbs on the bike?
Yes, I did it with help of this DIY:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10246

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #18
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Aftermarket replacement mixture screws (see picture) are available here:

http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/...products_id=28

Does this work? It said for CVK40, ours are CVK 30??

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #19
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

So immediately after posting the pic, I got the urge to take my bike apart and give it the love and attention it needed so desperately. Her fairings fell right off and I got to the carbs in a shockingly short amount of time, all while putting the nuts, allens, and screws in individual bags and placing those bags with their couterparts (example: Fairing Allens sitting in a sandwich bag next to the fairings.) I got to the carbs and got a closer look at what I had carelessly done the other day. So I did some measurements: the amount of thread I had broken off was about 3/8" and the screw has around 1/4" total of threading and 1/8" of the threads on the screw were showing at my bikes preferred idle: 2.75 turns out. I only had half of the of the threading on the screw actually locking on all sides with the threads on the walls.

The temporary solution I had in mind should work without conflicting with performance and giving me peace of mind, so I used some thread tape (locktite) and then I stuck a couple of vacuum caps over the idle mixture screws... why? out of sight, out of mind and I definitely need to keep my mind on the road when riding.

And after getting the carbs, battery, and gas tank back on... I decided to warm her up and throw on the seat for a ride. At first, I figured it'd be embarrassing to go out onto the main roads on a bike that's not usually naked, but WHATTHEHELL, so I rode her stark naked all around town.

I had too much fun with my loud pipe, solid rear blinkers, and jimmyrigged carbs.

I did do right by her in the end though and gave a thorough inspection of the carbs and a couple other things. There were no problems before, during, or after my 40 minutes of pure joy, so I guess I shouldn't worry...

Me and my headlamp.

Old June 16th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #20
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has to use a headlamp to work on the ninja (usually don't have time on the weekends, so it's after work and thus just about dark). I destroyed the threading on one of my carb diaphragm caps some time back and just managed to very very carefully superglue it back on; it's been happy since. Loctite might be your answer though, so long as you don't get any inside the actual fuel area.

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #21
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Glad to see I'm not the only one that has to use a headlamp to work on the ninja (usually don't have time on the weekends, so it's after work and thus just about dark). I destroyed the threading on one of my carb diaphragm caps some time back and just managed to very very carefully superglue it back on; it's been happy since. Loctite might be your answer though, so long as you don't get any inside the actual fuel area.
Yeah, I was pretty sure that loctite was going to be good enough, but the other day I decided to just go ahead and take off the white vacuum caps and then I saw the stains of gasoline. A leak is present and I am almost positive that it will get worse over time, so I purchased replacement carbs off of ebay.

On the bright side, I'll have spare carb parts now.

Side note: I see why everyone hates those rubber wellnuts.

Old June 17th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #22
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Oye ve! Very sorry to hear that mate, and glad it didn't do anything worse that could happen with gasoline leaking around the engine...

I'm sure you could probably make back a good chunk of the cost of your 'new' carbs if you parted out the ones you damaged to forum members (and other places too I suppose). Then again, spare parts are almost always good to have.

May I suggest drilling the mixture screws on these before mounting it on the bike?

Old June 17th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #23
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Oye ve! Very sorry to hear that mate, and glad it didn't do anything worse that could happen with gasoline leaking around the engine...

I'm sure you could probably make back a good chunk of the cost of your 'new' carbs if you parted out the ones you damaged to forum members (and other places too I suppose). Then again, spare parts are almost always good to have.

May I suggest drilling the mixture screws on these before mounting it on the bike?
ha, that's definitely some solid advice. Yeah, I'm going to keep the old ones for sure! Spare parts are extremely nice to have.

Old June 21st, 2010, 05:19 AM   #24
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodadooda View Post
Yeah, I was pretty sure that loctite was going to be good enough, but the other day I decided to just go ahead and take off the white vacuum caps and then I saw the stains of gasoline. A leak is present and I am almost positive that it will get worse over time,
Should be an o-ring in there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 794px-BC_cleaning_4.jpg (44.6 KB, 5 views)

Old June 26th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #25
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Should be an o-ring in there
There was, but I guess it wasn't doing it's job. >.<
Regardless, everything runs fine now that I have the
"new" carbs in there and I have her tuned to what I'd consider perfect.
Pulls well just under 2k rpms and I can actually feel something in the upper rpms, so I'm very happy with this.

Old June 26th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #26
kkim

how about adding your jetting specs to the database?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10208