ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Irregular idle and stalling at speed

So I recently purchased a 2005 Ninja 250. Bike is completely stock with a mere 798 miles on it.

The issues are all closely related and I'm sure its probably one fix.

Conditions:
Lebanon, Pennsylvania (elevation 480')
50* with 46% Humidity
Windy with overcast and storms this morning

So the first issue was idle, I would start it up with the choke on and the RPMs would sit at 0, but was still running, if I let the clutch lever out (in Neutral) it would stall it out. Played with the idle controller and got it to stay running.

Once I got it up to operating temperature I played with the idle control again to bring the RPMs to 1500.

Noticed at this point after I let off the throttle the RPMs hold high for awhile then come down.

So I went out for a drive, everything was fine, slight hesitation in the throttle but nothing I would find problematic. Going down a straightaway I hit tops 40 mph, watch my coolant temp drop to within an 1/8" of the bottom of the temp span. Notice my throttle disappearing and suddenly I lose power. Coast to the side of the road and keep trying to get it to stay running after turning over. When the coolant temp gauge starts to rise again, it holds throttle and I can ride again.

Another thing I noticed, I was trying to keep it running, so I had the choke on, and the engine was somewhat warm, RPMs jumped to 6k and hold, when I applied some throttle the RPMs would fall until I let off the throttle.

Am I looking at bad gas, clogged jets, non sync carbs, vacuum issue?? Best place to start?
scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #2
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

I think it might be too lean. Too much air for the amount of gas, thats why it works better warm...

Old May 24th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to our site, Steven !!!

An old model with so few miles must have many fuel and carburetor problems.

The temperature that your gauge shows is irrelevant, unless it goes above the red mark.
When the bike moves fast, the gauge will show cool and when at idle, it will show hot; it is just normal.

The easiest to check first is the plumbing.
These bikes are prone to clogged ventilation of the tank and to inner and in-line filters (due to junk) and petcock (due to insufficient vacuum) restricting flow.

There is tiny mesh filter inside the end of the hose that feeds the carbs.

If you get consistent flow at the end of the feeding hose (about 2 cc per second), the next step is to clean the carburetors.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome to our site, Steven !!!

An old model with so few miles must have many fuel and carburetor problems.

The temperature that your gauge shows is irrelevant, unless it goes above the red mark.
When the bike moves fast, the gauge will show cool and when at idle, it will show hot; it is just normal.

The easiest to check first is the plumbing.
These bikes are prone to clogged ventilation of the tank and to inner and in-line filters (due to junk) and petcock (due to insufficient vacuum) restricting flow.

There is tiny mesh filter inside the end of the hose that feeds the carbs.

If you get consistent flow at the end of the feeding hose (about 2 cc per second), the next step is to clean the carburetors.
Awesome! I'll take a look tomorrow. So far I plan to drain the bowls and tank of the old gas, check spark plugs and air filter then try again.

If not ill look at doing a carb cleaner soak so as not to tear them apart if I can avoid it.

Old May 24th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

also, you'll wanna go ahead and replace ALL rubber hoses. A bike with that age and mileage has been sitting for a long time, and when they sit, they rot. When i bought my bike it only had 600 miles, but sat for 4 years, even the rubber on the fairing nuts were dry rot and cracked. Replace all vacuum, brake, coolant, gas hoses, hell, even the o-rings on float bowls needed to be replaced. Last thing you want is a leak, of any of those fluids (replace all fluids too). And tear apart your carbs and clean them, better to the the job once right, rather than half way a couple times.

after that, ride the piss outta it.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #6
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
also, you'll wanna go ahead and replace ALL rubber hoses. A bike with that age and mileage has been sitting for a long time, and when they sit, they rot. When i bought my bike it only had 600 miles, but sat for 4 years, even the rubber on the fairing nuts were dry rot and cracked. Replace all vacuum, brake, coolant, gas hoses, hell, even the o-rings on float bowls needed to be replaced. Last thing you want is a leak, of any of those fluids (replace all fluids too). And tear apart your carbs and clean them, better to the the job once right, rather than half way a couple times.

after that, ride the piss outta it.
Opened my carbs expecting the worst...

Nothing! The rest of the carbs look amazing, no build up,neverything moves smooth. Safe to say not the carbs?

All the rubber lines look amazing inside and out, no cracks or rot. I am truly stumped

Old May 26th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #7
scubaru
ninjette.org member

So I drained the bowls and tank, got some new gas in it and works PERFECT!!

This was the old gasoline...

Old May 26th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaru View Post
So I drained the bowls and tank, got some new gas in it and works PERFECT!!
Glad that you solved the mystery !!!

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #9
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Glad that you solved the mystery !!!

Thanks! Happy it was so simple and I got to see how everything fits on my bike