ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 14th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #1
kael0206
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Moritz

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Need Help! Dropped juice straw inside clutch cover

Hello,

I am new to this forum and need your help guys. I was siphoning some oil via the clutch cover using a syringe and a juice straw when suddenly the straw came off the tip of the syringe and dropped inside the cover. I've pretty much used all kinds of tools to fish it out but to no avail. It was very deep inside the cover. Will this cause severe problems if I run the engine? I really don't want to dismantle the clutch cover. Thank you and looking forward to your responses.
kael0206 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #2
kkim

take the clutch cover off to retrieve the straw.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
kael0206
ninjette.org newbie

I see so I guess i am taking that route. Should I drain the oil first before removing the cover? Sorry for the noob questions, just trying to be DIY'er here.

Old June 14th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #4
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25301

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #5
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Why were you siphoning oil from the bike?

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #6
nah.uhh
ninjette.org member

Name: nah

Motorcycle(s): n/a

Obv he was thirsty and his MOM told him to use a straw/syringe

Lol overfilled oil I guess
Posted via Mobile Device
nah.uhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #7
kael0206
ninjette.org newbie

Yup. Overfilled it with oil. Did not really want to drain it because I don't have a torque wrench.

Old June 14th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #8
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Will most likely need a new clutch cover gasket.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Personally, If I overfilled it with oil and the oil wasnt hot, I'd use the drain bolt, slowly loosen it and use a finger to plug the hole, once you drain enough just quickly switch your finger for the bolt and add oil if you drained too much. Might be messy but it works.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #10
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I hate having a juice box at lunch with no straw.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Alternatively, you could pull the oil drain filter and see if you can get to it that way. It'll force you to drain the oil, but might save you having to go in via the clutch cover.

By "Oil drain filter" I don't mean the oil filter itself, but a filter that protects the drain, where stuff collects at the bottom of the engine. The red-circled parts in attached diagram are the oil pre-filter, its gasket and the section of the crankcase that holds it on. The bolt at the bottom of the red circle is the oil drain plug, to give you a better idea of where this thing is.
This isn't a sure bet though; the straw may not be reachable/visible from there, but it does open to a good portion of the aft crankcase, so there's a fair chance it'll be right there once you drain the oil. The catch is, this has a gasket too, but I haven't had to replace it the two times I've gotten this piece off.

Here's a pic of the filter itself, after I pulled it looking for something in my engine in March last year and found more than I'd expected. The gasket is in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: png oil screen.png (125.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04866.jpg (129.3 KB, 6 views)

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #12
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Alternatively, you could pull the oil drain filter and see if you can get to it that way. It'll force you to drain the oil, but might save you having to go in via the clutch cover.

By "Oil drain filter" I don't mean the oil filter itself, but a filter that protects the drain, where stuff collects at the bottom of the engine. The red-circled parts in attached diagram are the oil pre-filter, its gasket and the section of the crankcase that holds it on. The bolt at the bottom of the red circle is the oil drain plug, to give you a better idea of where this thing is.
This isn't a sure bet though; the straw may not be reachable/visible from there, but it does open to a good portion of the aft crankcase, so there's a fair chance it'll be right there once you drain the oil. The catch is, this has a gasket too, but I haven't had to replace it the two times I've gotten this piece off.

Here's a pic of the filter itself, after I pulled it looking for something in my engine in March last year and found more than I'd expected. The gasket is in the background.
That sounds just as intensive as getting the clutch cover off. In any case, lesson learned. Dont overfill oil, dont use a straw or if you have to, use a straw long enough to never get lost inside. Great ideas here. Goodluck fishing.

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #13
kael0206
ninjette.org newbie

Took my chances this morning and drove the bike to work since I only live less than a mile from the office. Warmed up the bike for 5 mins and did not notice or heard anything unusual from it so I drove away. When I got home later in the afternoon, I thought maybe I should check the clutch cover. So I opened it, and there was the straw right in the open! So I took a tweezer and plucked it right out. The straw was not damaged at all so I guess and I am hoping that everything will be alright with the bike. Lesson learned indeed... Thank you guys for the responses. This forum is a boatload of information.

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #14
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael0206 View Post
Took my chances this morning and drove the bike to work since I only live less than a mile from the office. Warmed up the bike for 5 mins and did not notice or heard anything unusual from it so I drove away. When I got home later in the afternoon, I thought maybe I should check the clutch cover. So I opened it, and there was the straw right in the open! So I took a tweezer and plucked it right out. The straw was not damaged at all so I guess and I am hoping that everything will be alright with the bike. Lesson learned indeed... Thank you guys for the responses. This forum is a boatload of information.
Risky move taking the bike out like that but I'll be damned... you're one lucky guy. Still, glad it all worked out.

Old June 15th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #15
kkim

Yes, very risky move... you should plan a trip to Vegas soon, as you're also very lucky.

Had the straw got ground up into bits, it would/could have been circulated through the engine and possibly have clogged oil passages. If that had happened, you would be looking at a toasted engine due to oil starvation.

glad things worked out for you.

Old June 15th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #16
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

The "Ninja" god was looking out for you.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #17
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

WOW.... Lol
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #18
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
The "Ninja" god was looking out for you.
Yes, Kelly WAS!

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #19
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachdiddy View Post
Yes, Kelly WAS!

Dont you know? There's a prayer and sacrifice button on this forum. We had to sacrifice 4 squids to get Kelly to save you're butt.