ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 4th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Beer_Is_So_Awesome
ninjette.org newbie

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Passenger Foot Peg Alignment

Heyo, I'm a brand new member here. I have 9 years riding experience, currently I own a Kawasaki ZRX1200R, and am helping my girlfriend shop for her first motorcycle.

We went to look at an '04 Ninja 250 a few days ago. The price is good, and it shows minimal damage from a stationary drop on the left-hand side. This is exactly what I'd expect, and there's nothing to be concerned about, but there's also some evidence of a right-side drop. The right-side muffler seems to be rubbing on the swingarm, and I'm trying to determine whether it's very simple or evidence of a more serious problem.

On the simple end, I know it could just be a gentle drop on the right-hand side (no visible scuffing/damage on the muffler) where the weight of the bike bent the muffler inward.

For fun, I decided to sit on the pillion seat, and while I could be imagining it, it felt as if the right-side passenger footpeg was slightly out of whack (forward, just a tiny bit?) from the left-hand side. So I thought this could be one of three things. 1) My imagination, because I was trying to find a problem. 2) A bent footpeg hanger, which is attached to the muffler. 3) A bent subframe, expensive.

I looked in the top of the tail section with a flashlight and couldn't see any visible bends or dings, and the body panels seemed to line up properly. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it normal for them to feel slightly out of alignment from one another? My SV1000 had one peg offset from the other by design (had to do with drivetrain/exhaust clearance).

I was able to ride it for 5 minutes in the seller's housing development, got it up to about 50mph tops. It rode perfectly straight, and showed no wobbles when I let go of the bars at speed.

Thanks for your help!
Beer_Is_So_Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just bend the right side passenger peg back out. I did that with mine when I installed slipons to get a little more clearance from the swingarm.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote