ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:08 AM   #1
victorbrca
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Victor

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2010, ZX-6R 2011

Another idle thread

Sorry for starting a new thread on this, I know there are tons of info out there. I have a course this Sunday and I wanted to use my 250. I only really have today and Saturday to work on it, and all of this is new to me.

Issue: Bike idle is up and down, and eventually dies. Giving gas also dies.

The bike was winterized (topped fuel with stabilizer, drained carbs) and worked fine at the beginning of the season (March), however it was sitting outside for about 4 months without being used.

What I did so far:
- Drained the carbs

Next steps (easy):
- Remove and drain tank
- Check spark plugs
- Check air filter?

Here's a video of the problem... anything else anyone advises doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoFPZU-VZ2M

Thanks,
Victor.
victorbrca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:54 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorbrca View Post
The bike was winterized (topped fuel with stabilizer, drained carbs) and worked fine at the beginning of the season (March), however it was sitting outside for about 4 months without being used.

What I did so far:
- Drained the carbs

Next steps (easy):
- Remove and drain tank
- Check spark plugs
- Check air filter?
[/URL]

Thanks,
Victor.
I'm guessing the fuel is the issue. If the tank wasn't completely full, condensation may have formed. If the gas contained ethanol, it will have separated by now.

Drain completely and refill with fresh 87 octane without ethanol - if you can get it. If you can't get 87 without, I always choose the lowest grade available that doesn't contain ethanol.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:16 PM   #3
victorbrca
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I'm guessing the fuel is the issue. If the tank wasn't completely full, condensation may have formed. If the gas contained ethanol, it will have separated by now.

Drain completely and refill with fresh 87 octane without ethanol - if you can get it. If you can't get 87 without, I always choose the lowest grade available that doesn't contain ethanol.
Thanks. I got the tank out and had to go out to get another container. It probably had close to 10 liters on it. There's just a bit left that I can't get through the peacock role.

And I didn't have enough time to put it back with new gas. I'll continue on Saturday.

Old July 25th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Have you ridden it yet? I'd put in some new gas, and take it for a 20+ minute ride. Sometimes that's all it needs to clear its throat is to get everything up to operating temp for awhile. If after that there are still idle or other running issue, only then dive into the more onerous work. It might be a challenging to get it to move off from a stop without stalling right in the beginning, but once past that it will likely be good for it.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #5
victorbrca
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Have you ridden it yet? I'd put in some new gas, and take it for a 20+ minute ride. Sometimes that's all it needs to clear its throat is to get everything up to operating temp for awhile. If after that there are still idle or other running issue, only then dive into the more onerous work. It might be a challenging to get it to move off from a stop without stalling right in the beginning, but once past that it will likely be good for it.
Got it back together and added the new gas yesterday. It would still stall on high RPM, but today I did an oil change and took for a drive... good as new.

I'm really glad I didn't have to venture in taking the carb apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I'm guessing the fuel is the issue.
Thanks for help!

Old July 27th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Now that's it's running, I would add a strong fuel system cleaner like Chevron Techron Concentrate at 1oz per gal.

Ethanol-free gas lasts longer and is always a better idea if it's available. Keeping the tank close to full also helps reduce the chances of condensation forming.

Good to hear it was something simple.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote