ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #1
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Exclamation Is it appropriate for maintenance shops to do this?

I took my bike in to get my new michelin pilot powers installed today and while I was chillin in the lobby area waiting for my bike to be done I hear a bike revving. At first I thought it was the gsxr that I parked next to leaving (he had a two bro exhaust, so do i) but when I turned to look out the window I saw my ninja being ridden by the mechanic who had installed the tires. I didn't know what to think partly because the bike sounded so good...it sounds really good when I'm riding it don't get me wrong but it was different when I actually heard it from a distance, it mesmerized me He was revvin it pretty good and took off around the corner. After, I was thinking, "is he supposed to do that?" and then I thought, "did my bike just get stolen?" No wayyy i thought haha. I was kinda stunned and didn't really know what to make of it at first. He was back in 5 mins so I figured he was making sure everything was good with the install. It did make me a bit uneasy though that he just took the bike out without even informing me. They must have insurance against this...? What if he had layed it down or crashed? Even a short ride like that could go wrong.

It was my first time at this shop, it's called GP Auto in Rockville, Maryland. I had my tires shipped there from motorcyclesuperstore.com for a no hassle install...great little program by the way. Didn't have to worry about haulin the tires there first. I was happy with the service and the place was clean and well kept. I even chatted with the mechanic who installed the tires and he was a really nice guy. I didn't ask about him taking the bike out... Said he was surprised by the 250's power and it felt like a fuel injected bike, etc etc you know, the typical comments our bike get oh yeah, and the tires feel awesome too

I was just wondering about him taking the bike out...was that appropriate? What would you have done/thought?

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #2
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Appropriate-they better ride it around before you do.

Glad you're liking the Michelin PP1s- I tear mine up in the canyon almost daily....you won't be disappointed. Pics??????????????????
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #3
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

It isn't necessary to test drive after installing tires. Personally I would have a conversation with the shop owner about it.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #4
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Yeah, they gotta test 'em.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #5
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

I see nothing wrong with it, they could have let you know, but otherwise I would call it good service. The shop would (should) definitely have insurance on that sort of thing, in case something did happen.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #6
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Road test is normal.
2011Ninja250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #7
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

That's what I eventually thought about...I suppose if they missed something with the install and the customer takes off and something happens they would have big trouble on their hands legally. I wasn't sure tho.

No pics yet but ill put some up soon I just took a bunch of pictures of my bike but then right after I added a couple decals and now got new tires so it needs another photoshoot!

Edit - just had a thought this weekend will be the perfect weekend for some pics. My buddy and i are riding to a kawi open house at this dealership and there will be a bikini bike wash there with calendar girls that's definitely happenin

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #8
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

My local (where I bought the bike) shop's Insurance demands it 'test ride' before handing the bike back to customer (at least they tell me)... but the excessive revving is not needed in anyway for tires.

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #9
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Riding it around front for you to pick up = no big deal.
Taking a 5 min joy ride on somebody elses bike without permission = buttkicking.

Oh and there is no legal reason for a test ride. I can bring them just the wheels for new tires, and they dont test ride my bike.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I would think that he did that so that he could scrub in the tires for you; I've heard of / seen tons of videos of people pulling away with brand new tires and laying the bike down before they leave the parking lot. Although he definitely should have told you first.

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

It all depends on shop maintenance policy. Every shop is different. Look at it this way...the tires got scrubbed in real good (before they gave it back to you with slick new tires), chain slack and alignment properly adjusted.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #12
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Not had to do bike tires yet but the shop where I get my tires take the vehicle out and see how the ride and balance is. I am glad they do.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #13
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

BTW

Make sure you break them in properly
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #14
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

A good mechanic will test his own work on your bike before he hands it over to you.

If he messes up, it's his fault too unless you signed something.

For tires I bring the complete wheels in minus the bike. Mechanics don't touch anything else on it.
They frequently adjust chains too tight and don't properly align wheels otherwise. I wouldn't trust them to get the brakes back together right either. lol

I probably don't want to ride anyone's bike either unless I know their mechanic is competent.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #15
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I would think that he did that so that he could scrub in the tires for you; I've heard of / seen tons of videos of people pulling away with brand new tires and laying the bike down before they leave the parking lot. Although he definitely should have told you first.
It's good service to test ride your bike with new tires because they can be very slick.Check out this vdo to see what can happen with new tires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #16
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
It's good service to test ride your bike with new tires because they can be very slick.Check out this vdo to see what can happen with new tires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4
Thats the exact video I always think of whenever I mention new tires being slick.

Old July 25th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #17
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

They test ride it to see if alignment, chain slack, and all other good stuff is properly done.
If they hadn't checked it before handing it to you an you crashed due to faulty installation, they have a lawsuit in their hands

When I brought in my wheels and tires, all I had to sign was a waiver so if they damage my rim, they won't be held responsible
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
It is very normal and he did you a favor because the first 10 miles are the slickest on the tires. Continue to be cautious with them untill they have at least 100 miles on them.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Error_mage
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold), 2001 Suzuki SV 650S

Just had a pair of Bridgestones put on my bike last week. The mechanic rode the bike behind the shop and when I came back it was back upfront with a couple of added miles on the trip meter. They took it for a test run and I’m fine with it because they told me about it, I expected them to and made they sure to warn me of new tires yet again. (Really like the place since they actually did research on different possible tires to put on the 250 and it matched what I had come up with, so they seem pretty legit. ^^)

However, there’s a dealership I go by every now and then; and I swear one of the guys working there comes rolling in off the street on a showroom bikes every freakin time. I’m convinced they spend half the time joy riding new models xD

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #20
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

to be honest I would like them to test it first, cause I dont want this happenin to me

Link to original page on YouTube.

kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #21
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Ohhh hahah I didn't see the above post from you guys, and I'm not even surprised that the video was poster already lol
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #22
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

Its pretty standard practice to do a rode test to make sure everything is good to go
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
as long as they have insurance policies to replace the bike they crash with a brand new one, i'd have no issues. might as well have them scrub my tires in for me i guess... although if i was sitting there waiting i probably would just say gimme my damn bike. then again i just take the wheels off and bring them to the shop to install... only $15... personally that's worth me not having to struggle changing tires (i suck at it) but i ain't payin the extra $20 to have them remove the wheels and screw up the positioning of my speedo drive thing.

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #24
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Maybe he revved it high because he's not used to 250's and figured he needed to to get underway.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #25
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
BTW

Make sure you break them in properly
Are there certain procedures/precuations?

Thanks everybody. After everyones responses (and that gsxr video :jawdrop: gosh how embarrassing) i am glad he scrubbed them in for me. overall this shop was refreshingly friendly and knowledgeable/competent. the mechanic that did my tires seemed to be an experienced track rider and we chatted a bit. as for the extra revs...guess i cant blame him left the shop some private feedback that they should inform the customer of this procedure beforehand

Old July 26th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #26
tsiratiug
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2010 Ninja 250R SE (SOLD), 2002 Honda Rebel

I deal with two different shops with our bikes - a Triumph dealership and the Kawasaki dealership. This is completely normal and appropriate. Their insurance not only covers the test rides, it probably demands it. It's much cheaper for them to reaplce a bike than deal with a lawsuit if a customer were to ride away and have something go wrong. I don't mind at all. I think I'd be worried about a shop that didn't test a bike every time they put a wrench on it.
tsiratiug is offline   Reply With Quote