ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Cheap helmet

So they had a scorpion exo 400 for sale at motorcycle superstore with almost 200 positive reviews but wrong sizes so I found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scorpion-EXO-400...item746af5eb9e

with the right size should I pull the trigger.

Mind you I dont have much more to spend on a helmet and need one asap.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #2
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Green 2011 SE 52yo Geezer

Don't ever get the $29 junk WOW helmets from Amazon. They look nice but are a toy. They seem to weigh half of an HJC or a GMAX. Eggshell helmets They say DOT but it has to be fake. I bought 2 types and they both stuck.

- Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLansing View Post
Don't ever get the $29 junk WOW helmets from Amazon. They look nice but are a toy. Eggshell helmets They say DOT but it has to be fake. I bought 2 types and they both stuck.

- Joe
I was giving a tms helmet a under 30 dollar one and no way i will stick it on my head.

Thats why i think i will go with the one from ebay it seems to get great reviews

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #4
sarapacman99
Climb to Glory!

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R White (sold)

get KBC helmets from motorcycle-superstore

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Memengkamatis
ninjette.org member

Name: AL

Motorcycle(s): ex250r, vulcan 800b, k1200r

Cheap Helmets

Scorpion helmets are great and very light. Comparable to shoie and arai in weight The Scorpion ex 750 is newr and has a cheek pump for a better fit.

Meng.
Memengkamatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thats what I bought.

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #7
dicer20
ninjette.org member

Name: Ron

Motorcycle(s): blue 2008 ninja 250r

scorpion helmets are very good for the price...they don't fog up and getting the aero skirt makes the helmet very quite, i have 2 400 models...love them both i got one from ironpony for 50 dollars on clearance...only thing the run small,if you are a large get an xlarge
dicer20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #8
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I've been riding with an EXO-700 for almost three years now and it's held up very well. Feels solid, but not very heavy at all, even after 7-8 hours in the saddle with only stops for gas/food. I got the matte black finish, so it's been scuffed here & there, but otherwise I love it. I do highly recommend getting the aero skirt to reduce wind noise.

My only gripe is the shield fogs up a little too easy (esp for their "Everclear" product tech), but I say that in regards to riding in mist/rain where fogging on the inside is pretty much bound to happen.

Old July 8th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #9
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

I'd recomend getting a hjc cheap and do the job.

Old July 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
I'd recomend getting a hjc cheap and do the job.
i got the scorpion

Old July 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #11
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
i got the scorpion
You'll love the scorpion. Assuming that's your headshape. I have the EXO-400 as well and my brother has the EXO-700. They are fantastic helmets and at a great price point. What happened that required you to get a helmet so quickly? Helmets are something you should take your time and try on and get one that you really like. It's basically your face on a bike. You wouldnt get a facelift without picking the best look for yourself.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #12
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
You'll love the scorpion. Assuming that's your headshape. I have the EXO-400 as well and my brother has the EXO-700. They are fantastic helmets and at a great price point. What happened that required you to get a helmet so quickly? Helmets are something you should take your time and try on and get one that you really like. It's basically your face on a bike. You wouldnt get a facelift without picking the best look for yourself.
my shoei rfr fell one to many times and cracked. mind you this helmet is 11 years old and been in 4 accidents.

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #13
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
my shoei rfr fell one to many times and cracked. mind you this helmet is 11 years old and been in 4 accidents.
I thought you're supposed to replace a helmet after 1 accident? IDK though, I'm a noobie!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #14
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I thought you're supposed to replace a helmet after 1 accident? IDK though, I'm a noobie!
hard to let go of a 800 dollar helmet.

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #15
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Wow. I bet. What makes it worth 800$? Would be cool to have one with a screen on the visor so you can see your speed and other information without looking down.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #16
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Wow. I bet. What makes it worth 800$? Would be cool to have one with a screen on the visor so you can see your speed and other information without looking down.
Just went and looked at it I think the helmet was 500 and I bought a few shields and at 100 each I think it was 800 + tax but it was 11 years ago

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #17
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

That EXO400 helmet is fantastic. I ride with one everyday and really have 0 complaints.

I know sportbiketrackgear.com is selling some EXO700 for only $99 right now (and some Bell something or others). I'm even considering buying one and putting my exo400 as a backup helm
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #18
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
That EXO400 helmet is fantastic. I ride with one everyday and really have 0 complaints.

I know sportbiketrackgear.com is selling some EXO700 for only $99 right now (and some Bell something or others). I'm even considering buying one and putting my exo400 as a backup helm
I just picked up the exo700 for 63 bucks shipped

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #19
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Thumbs up

Quote:
I just picked up the exo700 for 63 bucks shipped
Well worth the money! I'm curious how the venting works on the 700 compared to the 400s. Let me know what you think about the 700 when you get it!
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #20
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
If you're head had any impact with the ground you are supposed to. The energy absorbing material is only good for one impact, after that it's compressed.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #21
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Does it have to be Scorpion?

Here is a nice modular with bluetooth for $200.

Hawk-H-6615-Aviator-Skull-Dual-Visor-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet-with-Blinc-Bluetooth

Or if you just want something kick ass cheap until you can get something better, this modular is only $50:

DOT-Silver-Glossy-Full-Face-Modular-Flip-Up-Helmet
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #22
setasai

The venting on the 700 is slightly better than the 400. For both cases I recommend the aeroskirt. It cuts down on wind noise and really isolates the face area.

On the matter of accidents. Only use the helmet once. If the helmet has already done its duty than it's already $800 worth it. Injuries are always more expensive and the fact that it has served its purpose more than once is a testament to how lucky you are.

That sounds like alot of accidents though. Were you on the track? If this is on the street, I would evaluate your riding style and be more careful.

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #23
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
The venting on the 700 is slightly better than the 400. For both cases I recommend the aeroskirt. It cuts down on wind noise and really isolates the face area.

On the matter of accidents. Only use the helmet once. If the helmet has already done its duty than it's already $800 worth it. Injuries are always more expensive and the fact that it has served its purpose more than once is a testament to how lucky you are.

That sounds like alot of accidents though. Were you on the track? If this is on the street, I would evaluate your riding style and be more careful.
3 times were my brother learning how to ride in a parking lot.

Old July 9th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #24
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I know you already bought it, and I know you said cheap, but I got an EXO-500 when it came out a couple of months ago. Love it. Could not live without the internal visor!

I think I'm sticking with Scorpion helmets.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #25
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Does it have to be Scorpion?

Or if you just want something kick ass cheap until you can get something better, this modular is only $50:

DOT-Silver-Glossy-Full-Face-Modular-Flip-Up-Helmet
Be really careful about cheap, no brand helmets that claim DOT certification. One of the problems with DOT is that is based on an honor system. If the helmet company says it is DOT certified, then that is good enough for DOT. I have investigated a helmet company importing from China that admitted that it did not actually do any testing on its helmets. And from seeing one of those helmets, it was a joke. A bicycle helmet would be safer -- it reeked of glue, in a toxic way, the styrofoam inside easily pulled from the helmet liner, etc.

Better to buy from a known company that actually tests. A company that offers DOT and ECE certifications or DOT, ECE and Snell certifications. While there is great debate on whether Snell standards are ideal, or whether ECE is better, either way, you need a company with integrity. Don't go with an unknown.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #26
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I agree with Floyd's points on the cheap DOT helmet. Approach with caution. If you're picking up a cheap DOT helmet, at least try to go with a well known brand like Scorpion and avoid buying it off eBay from some seller in China. Pretty much 99% of the brand name stuff you buy online from there is counterfeit.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #27
setasai

Quote:
3 times were my brother learning how to ride in a parking lot.
Oh Ok. I can see how you'd hold on to it longer then. That last one mustve been pretty bad to have cracked the shell. Glad it did it's job. Hope all is well.

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #28
n4mwd

I didn't realize that DOT certification was such a joke. Is there any testing standard (snell, etc.) that actually requires the helmet to be sent to them for testing? I know that for appliances, UL requires the appliance to be sent to them and don't take your word for it.

As far as China junk goes, its a sad but true statement that pretty much everything is made there now. Its pretty rare to find stuff actually made in the US anymore. Chances are, some major helmet company gets their helmets made there, and then after 5pm they start making the knock offs on the same assembly line.

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #29
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
I didn't realize that DOT certification was such a joke. Is there any testing standard (snell, etc.) that actually requires the helmet to be sent to them for testing? I know that for appliances, UL requires the appliance to be sent to them and don't take your word for it.
ECE (regulation no. 22) has mandatory batch testing before the helmet model can be sold to the public in European countries using this standard. I'd have to check again but I also believe both SNELL and ECE both do random re-testing as well after the helmet has already been released to the public.

Like Floyd mentioned, one of the criticisms with DOT is that it is mainly based on self-certification from the manufacturer. They test it in their lab and if they feel it meets DOT standards, they put the stamp on it and sell it to you. The helmet is viewed as compliant until DOT/NHTSA reacts to consumer complaints and investigates and if required, orders a product recall.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #30
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:

As far as China junk goes, its a sad but true statement that pretty much everything is made there now. Its pretty rare to find stuff actually made in the US anymore. Chances are, some major helmet company gets their helmets made there, and then after 5pm they start making the knock offs on the same assembly line.
I don't think they're claiming that the DOT certification is a joke. I think what they're saying is that the DOT certification on cheap helmets are suspect because they may not actually be DOT certified, there was just a sticker placed on there to make it seem that way. I could be wrong with my interpretation though.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #31
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
You shouldn't regret it. Mine fits better than any helmet I've ever had on. Their prices and customer service are awesome (my experience) as well.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #32
kkim

Who wants me to certify their non DOT helmet?

http://shop.ebay.com/Parts-Accessori...=p3286.c0.m282
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #33
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
I don't think they're claiming that the DOT certification is a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Who wants me to certify their non DOT helmet?

http://shop.ebay.com/Parts-Accessori...=p3286.c0.m282
Yeah, I think they did mean that it is a joke.....

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #34
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
The DOT standards are not a joke. They are thoughtful, and arguably better for you than the Snell standards, though this is no place to start that debate. But ECE and Snell actually require testing proof - DOT doesn't. The manufacturer needs to just tell DOT that its helmets passed testing to get the certification. That is the joke. Some don't do the testing, and ask for the cert, others just put DOT stickers on the product. Snell and ECE don't put up with that crap - their certs are more likely to mean something.

As to Chinese product quality, I've lived in China and done some work related to this topic - toured factories, discussed standards, etc. Basically, there is little to no effective government control of standards there. You can find world class quality and complete crap. It all depends on the factory, how good the company is that is ordering and controlling the production. Big companies (and some small) can run high quality operations there, sourcing high quality products. But if the company is importing without a say in manufacture, watch out! This is similar to the state of garment manufacturing in Pakistan, which is, for some reason of history I haven't figured out, where much of the world's motorcycle gear is produced. Some of the stuff is crap, other stuff is top quality. Depends on who is importing, how much control they exert over the manufacturing process, quality control, etc.

Bottom line: Buy from a trusted company, regardless of place of manufacture. Be very careful about stuff that looks too good to be true. And don't buy a cheap lid that just says DOT without something else to stand behind.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #35
n4mwd

It mean that I now have very little faith in something that is only DOT approved and lacks snell or ECE approval. I looked at the Scorpion EXO-900 modular helmet. It looks wonderful, but I'm not sure if its worth the $280 they want for it. Next time around, I may go with scorpion.

One thing about the cheaper no-name helmets is that there is very few spare parts for them available. I'm assuming that if I buy a scorpion that if I need some little part for it, that there is no problem getting it.

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #36
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to gear

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote