ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 17th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #1
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

Cleaning/washing your gears

Hey everyone. Was wondering how you guys wash your mesh/textile/leather jackets. I usually hand wash mines and then hang to dry but I've become lazy
Washing them in a machine is probably not good for the jacket so does anyone have an alternative way of washing their gears? However, with the linings in both my helmets, i wash and dry them in the machines and they turn out fine but am looking for an alternative way to wash my jackets since hand washing is annoying. Any suggestions?
toua70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I wash my mesh jacket in my front load washing machine. Works great! Not sure I would recommend that in top loads though. The agitator would probably destroy it.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #3
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Lol, I've been contemplating the same, one of my jackets, a textile icon timax, has gotten steadily darker in the usual spots, guess I'll hit the laundromat for the front loading washers (good advice @dubojr1, but I'll be coming for yo ass if it ruins my sh!t )

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #4
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

The tag inside the jacket will tell you exactly how it should be washed. Same as every other piece of clothing you own.

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
The tag inside the jacket will tell you exactly how it should be washed. Same as every other piece of clothing you own.
The tag is actually worned so i can't read it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
I wash my mesh jacket in my front load washing machine. Works great! Not sure I would recommend that in top loads though. The agitator would probably destroy it.
And thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even think of that and I just did laundry last night lol. I'll def try that next time. I'll have to remove the paddings first though. Thanks.

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Who washes gear?? Febreeze is good stuff!
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Who washes gear?? Febreeze is good stuff!
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess guys like me with wives who makes them wash their sh!t because they think its disgusting lmao

Old July 17th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #8
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
Lol, I've been contemplating the same, one of my jackets, a textile icon timax, has gotten steadily darker in the usual spots, guess I'll hit the laundromat for the front loading washers (good advice @dubojr1, but I'll be coming for yo ass if it ruins my sh!t )
LOL. It will be fine. Remove any pads or rain liners and select a gentle cycle on the machine. Don't overload it with detergents/softners either.

As for drying... air dry and do not machine dry.

Old July 17th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Bike gear should not be machine washed. Ever. End of.

Leather & textile gear should be cleaned with a damp cloth or sponge & a small amount of mild detergent. Wear something under the gear that can be washed.

Putting a leather jacket in the machine is asking for a damaged/destroyed jacket (around the stitching will probably fail if it's been machine washed), a damaged machine & a pissed off wife.

Putting a stiff textile jacket (cordura) through a wash will weaken the textile, feel free to do it, if you don't mind the gear failing when you need it. but hey It'll look good on the bike... that's what really matters right

If wifey thinks bike gear becomes disgusting show her a pic of road rash...
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.co.u...-brittany.html
Mesh gear may be fine in a wash, it's worthless in a slide anyway.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #10
dubojr1

No one said anything about leather. Of course leather can't be machined washed....

As for textile and mesh. A gentle cycle on a front load machine is very similar to a "hand wash" that most gear manufactures I've used recommend.

Oh and BTW. Do you have any evidence of your claim that mesh is "useless" in a slide? I've seen a few guys go down with it in the past and come out just fine. I use it myself as well. I don't want to hijack the thread so a couple on-biased links would do fine. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: For reference as well. I have a "First Gear" textile jacket that I purchased in 2003 with my Honda CBR 954RR. It has been thru a few hand washes and at least a dozen machine washes. It has zero stitch failure even at the elbow, wrist, and shoulder protection pads which by the way are covered in leather.

Last futzed with by dubojr1; July 18th, 2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: add additional info

Old July 18th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #11
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
...If wifey thinks bike gear becomes disgusting show her a pic of road rash...
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.co.u...-brittany.html
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #12
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
Thanks for the article.. that is why I always wear gears. I feel bad for her but live and learn right? Sucks for her though and stupidity on her friend's part for letting her on without gears.

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Whiskey

Quote:
No one said anything about leather. Of course leather can't be machined washed....
Quote:
Originally Posted by toua70 View Post
Hey everyone. Was wondering how you guys wash your mesh/textile/leather jackets. I usually hand wash mines and then hang to dry but I've become lazy

You were saying...
Quote:
As for textile and mesh. A gentle cycle on a front load machine is very similar to a "hand wash" that most gear manufactures I've used recommend.
Most textile gear is made from cordura, same as the Irish military's outer layer gear, it weakens & softens in the wash, the weave loosens, it loses it's waterproof properties. I came off the bike wearing new army gear, dislocated my shoulder & slid for about 40ft without any rash, stuff that's seen a few washes has ripped after a short slide into cover

Quote:
Oh and BTW. Do you have any evidence of your claim that mesh is "useless" in a slide? I've seen a few guys go down with it in the past and come out just fine. I use it myself as well. I don't want to hijack the thread so a couple on-biased links would do fine. Thanks in advance.
Go to the local track with it & see if it passes scrutineering

It does an OK job of holding armour in place, but it's a compromise even beyond textile.

Quote:
EDIT: For reference as well. I have a "First Gear" textile jacket that I purchased in 2003 with my Honda CBR 954RR. It has been thru a few hand washes and at least a dozen machine washes. It has zero stitch failure even at the elbow, wrist, and shoulder protection pads which by the way are covered in leather.
Has it been down the road? The failure will not be the stitching itself, it weakens the leather around it, that's what will fail first.

Wash detergents have pretty string enzymes (protease & lipase) which do the leather no good.

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #14
dubojr1

Quote:
You were saying...

Most textile gear is made from cordura, same as the Irish military's outer layer gear, it weakens & softens in the wash, the weave loosens, it loses it's waterproof properties. I came off the bike wearing new army gear, dislocated my shoulder & slid for about 40ft without any rash, stuff that's seen a few washes has ripped after a short slide into cover

Go to the local track with it & see if it passes scrutineering

It does an OK job of holding armour in place, but it's a compromise even beyond textile.

Has it been down the road? The failure will not be the stitching itself, it weakens the leather around it, that's what will fail first.

Wash detergents have pretty string enzymes (protease & lipase) which do the leather no good.
No one (in their right mind) would wear anything but full leathers to the track.... duh

I see this is a loosing battle already. You still provided no un-biased proof. Good day to you sir.

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #15
Whiskey

Quote:
No one (in their right mind) would wear anything but full leathers to the track.... duh

I see this is a loosing battle already. You still provided no un-biased proof. Good day to you sir.
I'm not bothered to continue searching for a peer reviewed paper/ scientific publication on the abrasion resistance of 250 denier polyester vs 1.4mm leather... it's a pretty specific request

If you really want proof take one of each, fill them with about 60lbs of sand & drag them on the same stretch of concrete at the same speed until failure & measure the distance.

The mesh will fail first.

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #16
dubojr1

Quote:
I'm not bothered to continue searching for a peer reviewed paper/ scientific publication on the abrasion resistance of 250 denier polyester vs 1.4mm leather... it's a pretty specific request

If you really want proof take one of each, fill them with about 60lbs of sand & drag them on the same stretch of concrete at the same speed until failure & measure the distance.

The mesh will fail first.

Again that's only stating the obvious. If each were dragged lets say 50 feet, I'm sure the mesh would be in worse condition but both would have done their job. If you drag them till one fails.... I'm sure leather would win.

Old July 21st, 2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

@gfloyd2002 has a blog entry on this right here:

Which Material is Best for Gear? Abrasion Resistance Tests

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote