Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 24th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
BMW S1000rr

I ride with a friend (on occassion) who has a Ducati 916. It's a beautiful bike and I keep telling him to put it up ( as a collector bike) and get a Suzuki GSXR. He only rides about 1000 miles a summer because he doesn't have many friends to ride with. I only see him a few times a year (he lives in New England and I live down south). He spends more dollars each summer than he rides miles with that Ducati.

Recently his son bought a ZX600r (I told him to get the ZX1000r but...) after he sold his 250. While he was at the dealer, with his son, he fell in love with the BMW S1000rr. I told him with the lsmall amount of riding he does he should get a used GSXR1000 ( and I'll split the cost with him) and leave it at my house in the winter (so he could use it ) and then at his house in the summer (so I could use it).

I normally wouldn't recommend sharing a bike but I found a 04 GSXR1000 with 16,000 miles (in great shape) for $3500 that we could get for $3000. I'm thinking for $1500 each how can we go wrong. Maybe an 05 or 06 would be better.

Any input from the forum faithful on splitting a GSXR or should he just get the new BMW?

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; September 25th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

If you don't mind the whole sharing thing.. I don't see why not. The BMW is nice, though.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
My friend and I tried this with a mail order bride
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #4
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
My friend and I tried this with a mail order bride
How did that taste?

Old September 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
She was a little gamey
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

If he has his eye on an S1000RR, a GSXR just ain't gonna cut it. Especially an old GSXR.

Old September 24th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

For what it's worth, BMW's target when developing the S1000RR was the 2005/2006 GSX-R 1000. Everything from the torque delivery, to the ergonomics, to the "feel" of the bike was modeled after that Suzuki. The K5 was a fantastic bike.

But yes, deciding between a 16K plus german monsterbike, and an 8 year old $3K GSX-R, isn't really a fair choice. You either want one or the other, for very different reasons.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #8
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I ride with a friend (on occassion) who has a Ducati 916. It's a beautiful bike and I keep telling him to put it up ( a a collector bike) and get a Suzuki GSXR. He only rides about 1000 miles a summer because he doesn't have many friends to ride with. I only see him a few times a year (he lives in New England and I live down south). He spends more dollars each summer than he rides miles with that Ducati.

Recently his son bought a ZX600r (I told him to get the ZX1000r but...) after he sold his 250. While he was at the dealer, with his son, he fell in love with the BMW S1000rr. I told him with the lsmall amount of riding he does he should get a used GSXR1000 ( and I'll split the cost with him) and leave it at my house in the winter (so he could use it ) and then at his house in the summer (so I could use it).

I normally wouldn't recommend sharing a bike but I found a 04 GSXR1000 with 16,000 miles (in great shape) for $3500 that we could get for $3000. I'm thinking for $1500 each how can we go wrong. Maybe an 05 or 06 would be better.

Any input from the forum faithful on splitting a GSXR or should he just get the new BMW?
Have him ride the ktm rc8r. Easily dismissed until ridden. Hey cc me and a buddy who has that ktm rode yesterday and found that Richmond corkscrew. A bit to wet in the early morning but what a blast. Forgot those Rosso II don't have rain sipes on the edges and almost had a different view of it.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #9
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
For what it's worth, BMW's target when developing the S1000RR was the 2005/2006 GSX-R 1000. Everything from the torque delivery, to the ergonomics, to the "feel" of the bike was modeled after that Suzuki. The K5 was a fantastic bike.

But yes, deciding between a 16K plus german monsterbike, and an 8 year old $3K GSX-R, isn't really a fair choice. You either want one or the other, for very different reasons.
The point I was trying to make (to my friend) is he doesn't ride much so spending $16000 on a bike to use 1000 miles a year is a waste while spending $3000 on a bike that will smoke his current bike is more practical.

My 06 GSXR1000 is still wicked fast (with 22,000 miles). I still haven't been passed during any trackdays.

I did tell him last night that the 05-06 model was the best of the GSXR's.

Old September 25th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #10
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Have him ride the ktm rc8r. Easily dismissed until ridden. Hey cc me and a buddy who has that ktm rode yesterday and found that Richmond corkscrew. A bit to wet in the early morning but what a blast. Forgot those Rosso II don't have rain sipes on the edges and almost had a different view of it.

Does Gordon have KTM? That's where the BMW is. A beautiful black one.

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
The point I was trying to make (to my friend) is he doesn't ride much so spending $16000 on a bike to use 1000 miles a year is a waste while spending $3000 on a bike that will smoke his current bike is more practical.
Can't argue with that.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old September 25th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:

My 06 GSXR1000 is still wicked fast (with 22,000 miles). I still haven't been passed during any trackdays.

I did tell him last night that the 05-06 model was the best of the GSXR's.
If he can afford to spend $16k for a toy, why try to talk him out of it? The only way you're going to take someone from a S1000RR to an old $3k Gixxer is if he really can't afford it. You're not going to go from "Hey, I really want (and can afford) that new 911 Turbo" to "Well, I guess I'll just get the last generation STi".

As for his riding, there's really only 3 months max of good riding weather in New England, so 1000 miles/year is decent!

Old September 25th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
If he can afford to spend $16k for a toy, why try to talk him out of it? The only way you're going to take someone from a S1000RR to an old $3k Gixxer is if he really can't afford it.
this.

Once you have enough money to afford what you want, you don't need a reason to buy it, even if the cheaper alternative represents a better value in absolute terms. Motorcycling is an experience, not a matter of rationality. The right experience is what you're buying, not just the machine itself.

Hell, I want an S1000RR too. I'll never own one because I don't have the money. But if I did, the fact that there's no possible rational reason for me to own that bike would not stop me from buying it.

By the way.. I'm in New England. It's a known fact that machines work better and last longer if used regularly. Tell him I'll be more than happy to keep the BMW well exercised when he's not riding it.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #14
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Believe it or not, he's kinda afraid of the BMW. He thinks it might be too powerful. What a joke. There is never too powerful!

Old September 25th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #15
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

i can afford 15k on a toy, so i did.. i would have kicked my self for splitting a bike with a homie.. i assume one of us will wreck and the other will be pissed off

Old September 25th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Believe it or not, he's kinda afraid of the BMW. He thinks it might be too powerful. What a joke. There is never too powerful!
In this case, yes, he's being silly. The S1K is a pussycat. The motor does exactly what you ask when you turn the loud handle; no more, no less. Unless you ask for more than the tire or bike can handle, and then a gadget with faster reflexes than any of us steps in and meters out the power right up to those limits, but no more. Yes, it allows for ludicrous acceleration and speed just like any other 150+ hp bike, but I'd argue it's easier to ride and generally safer than any of bikes that are almost as powerful in most situations, without the forgiving electronic nature. Holding full throttle in 1st on a literbike feels like cheating. Burying the brake lever to the grip knowing the ABS and rear-wheel lift-off control will guarantee that the bike does nothing but stop on a dime with no drama; that also feels like cheating.

Old September 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #17
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
He rides a Ducati 916. He is a good rider, on the street and in the woods. He is a no gear rider (well he does wear sunglasses). The BMW has 193hp, that's almost twice his Ducati. My Suzuki has 186hp and he has watched me just walk away from him when we ride. I think he is just intimidated by the numbers.

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #18
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
In this case, yes, he's being silly. The S1K is a pussycat. The motor does exactly what you ask when you turn the loud handle; no more, no less. Unless you ask for more than the tire or bike can handle, and then a gadget with faster reflexes than any of us steps in and meters out the power right up to those limits, but no more. Yes, it allows for ludicrous acceleration and speed just like any other 150+ hp bike, but I'd argue it's easier to ride and generally safer than any of bikes that are almost as powerful in most situations, without the forgiving electronic nature. Holding full throttle in 1st on a literbike feels like cheating. Burying the brake lever to the grip knowing the ABS and rear-wheel lift-off control will guarantee that the bike does nothing but stop on a dime with no drama; that also feels like cheating.
omg me want so badly. sadly I can afford the bike..I can not afford the insurance!
Just got a quote..full coverage was..get ready...$4000 a year!!!!!!!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #19
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Does Gordon have KTM? That's where the BMW is. A beautiful black one.
He has the black and orange on the showroom floor. He was going to keep the white and orange demo as a personal bike but someone bought it, and promptly crashed it.

Not the power of the BMW but the toorrrqqquuueee is flaaaaaaaaaaat across the rev range. Real fun, and its a man's bike, no ABS, no slipper, no TC, no wheelie control, LOL. Hey without all that stuff maybe it should be cheaper!!
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote