ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Mrudloff
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250-F

I need help!!!

This tube just came off and I have no clue where it goes. Please help me figure out where it goes!! Just got my license and now my bike won't start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (119.6 KB, 34 views)
Mrudloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #2
amad1972
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250

Are you talking about the tube that comes out of the back of the gas tank? It goes nowhere. Just route it down toward the ground. It is just for an overflow for the gas tank.

Old August 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
From the photo, the coolant level in the overflow tank looks low.

Neither should make it not start though.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #4
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Does the bike try to start? Fuel, flooded carbs, battery could be some issues.

Last futzed with by snot; August 25th, 2014 at 03:07 AM.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #5
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'm new to the Ninja 250 as well, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt (and if someone could verify or debunk what I'm saying, that'd be helpful)

I think it's just the overflow. I have a 2003 Ninja 250 and I think this is for when you overfill the gas tank. This picture was taken when I was first learning to take off/clutch control and I kept releasing it too quickly and flinging myself forward. I'm guessing that the gas in the tank obeyed our familiar friend inertia, and some of it went into this tube from sloshing around in the tank so much.

It's the hose on the far left for me.

MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #6
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Whoa! Three tubes! I only have one tube on the left side of the tank on my 04. Weird!
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #7
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
Whoa! Three tubes! I only have one tube on the left side of the tank on my 04. Weird!
That is weird. I want more insight on this. I think that one tube is the overflow, one goes to the carbs, and the other is for the reserve.

Old August 24th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Mrudloff
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250-F

Thanks so much every one. I feel dumb but being a new owner i guess its okay! My battery was dead so all i did was jump start it. I connected it from my car and waited about 10 seconds and it started right up. I let it run while i went in and put my gear on and then went for a ride to charge the battery back up. It should be good now.

Last futzed with by Mrudloff; August 24th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Mrudloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #9
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
Would being a California bike be the reason for all those tubes? I know many California model bikes have a different fuel/pollution setup than the rest of North America.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #10
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (2001)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Would being a California bike be the reason for all those tubes? I know many California model bikes have a different fuel/pollution setup than the rest of North America.
Yes, California bikes have three tubes coming off the back of the tank for emissions control. See here for more detail and a comparison to the non-CA bikes.
Yarhj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #11
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Double whoa. I thought my bike was a CA model (that's where I got it, bought in a CA dealership by the first owner).
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #12
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarhj View Post
Yes, California bikes have three tubes coming off the back of the tank for emissions control. See here for more detail and a comparison to the non-CA bikes.
Weird. My tubes are all hooked up to something with the exception of the one I thought was the overflow. Should I hook them all up again according to the link you just posted?

Old August 25th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #13
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (2001)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Weird. My tubes are all hooked up to something with the exception of the one I thought was the overflow. Should I hook them all up again according to the link you just posted?
Yes. It sounds like the drain tube accidentally got swapped with one of the other ones on your bike at some point, so just double check where all the hoses are going. The middle tube is a drain for your filler cap -- if rainwater gets in there or excess gas ends up there, it will drain out the middle tube. See here for a diagram of the filler assembly and a cutaway of the gas tank showing the connection between the filler cap and the vent at the back of the tank.
Yarhj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #14
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarhj View Post
Yes. It sounds like the drain tube accidentally got swapped with one of the other ones on your bike at some point, so just double check where all the hoses are going. The middle tube is a drain for your filler cap -- if rainwater gets in there or excess gas ends up there, it will drain out the middle tube. See here for a diagram of the filler assembly and a cutaway of the gas tank showing the connection between the filler cap and the vent at the back of the tank.
Thanks, man. Helpful! Just goes to show you never know what to expect from a used bike.

Old August 26th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #15
amad1972
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Thanks, man. Helpful! Just goes to show you never know what to expect from a used bike.
That's the truth. I got a 2001 Ninja 250 a month ago that looked completely stock, but had trouble running at higher rpm. It turned out that the main jets in the carburetors were waaay too large, as if it was an aftermarket exhaust.