ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1
sugarbear
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2004 BMW 1150RT

LED Fairing Lighting? How do I do it...

Well, since we are on subject and I'm also a girl Noob doing my own mods....
BIG Electrical question:

I would like to put some of those led lites on my bike inside the fairings. How would I attach these and wire up to the battery?
As I understand, some of the led's have a remote control.
Info please!!!!
thanks.
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hi Carol -

Would you mind if I split that off into a different thread? An LED light install will be very different from this 12V source that Debbi's working on. I'll move it over to the "farkles" section, but leave a forwarding link here for awhile as well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #3
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

Under the seat is the fuse box. I would personally tap into the Horn fuse. That's where I put my accessory socket.

My thinking is that it won't drain your battery if you forget to turn off the lights as it's only open with the ignition on, and also, if it causes the fuse to blow, you'll only lose your Horn, which in my mind, is the least important of the fuses. Also, theirs lots of spare amperage their to draw on most of the time.

I would just use Zip Ties and maybe some double stick foam tape for the first month of having them. Then you can tweak and move them without too much issue. Once you're sure you want them and maybe want them on more secure, they make all sorts of multi-surface epoxies. But once their on, they'll be really on.

3M makes some really good double sided adhesives. I've seen a few things (Hero HD Camera for one) that uses it, and it REALLY sticks good.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

I have 2 24 light strips inside each fairing, and 1 short in my under tail, one short under the front cowling. they were flexible and came with 3m tape already attached. The way that I did it was I got a wiring kit for like auxiliary lights from auto zone, came with its own fuse. I wired it up straight to the battery so when I park out like on bike night I can leave it on without the key in (you can leave them on for about 2-3 hours with no real drain), since I cant drive with them on I wont forget to turn them off. added a hidden little switch under the front cowling zip tied to one of the metal support struts, the thing I can also tell you is to get fully insulated connectors so you can take your cowlings off as you need to. I also don't like to cut into any of my wiring if it can be helped so I can undo anything I have done easily same goes for my cars

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #5
sugarbear
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the info, guys! Yeah, I think the sticky tape is a great idea as a temporary set up. Can always change the configuration later.
I really want to do this

Nice looking blue bike there, Kit!

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

The LED sets I got from auto zone already had the 3m tape on them, they were the flexible ones. I also cannot recommend enough the auxiliary light kit, I had it left over from a set of off road lights I had installed on a dune buggy, the wiring kit made all the difference, other wise there was not enough wire to do the install. sadly I didn't think to do a DIY for it until it was all finished.

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #7
kkim

Kit,

Adding blue lights to a vehicle is illegal in Hawaii. Hope they're not where you are.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Kit,

Adding blue lights to a vehicle is illegal in Hawaii. Hope they're not where you are.
In his post Kit said he only uses the blue lights while the bike is parked such as at bike nights and turns them off while riding.

Very cool set-up Kit. They realy draw your attention to the bike.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
In his post Kit said he only uses the blue lights while the bike is parked such as at bike nights and turns them off while riding.
I'm not sure they are even legal here when the vehicle is parked. Police are very touchy about this here.

Perhaps he should check about legality in his location.

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #10
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Kim,
Where I live blue lights (or red) are perfectly legal as long as they DO NOT flash. But not to drive with on.

Sugarbear,

the light kit I used was this
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=60073_0_0_

But In blue

the wiring harness I used was like this but NOT $60

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=196607_0_0_

But I used a different switch, the switch it came with was for a dashboard I simply got a toggle switch.

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #11
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'm not sure they are even legal here when the vehicle is parked. Police are very touchy about this here.

Perhaps he should check about legality in his location.
Blue LEDs are illegal in California too. I had a nice chat with a CHP officer about this... he hangs out at the bike night I go to. He said that blue, red and yellow are all illegal in CA because it's "impersonating law enforcement." Even tinted windscreens in those colors are illegal too (like my fiance's Buell which came stock with a red windscreen) because the sun can shine through it and cause a "red" light. He also said that the LED accent lights of other colors are only legal if he cannot see the bulb.

Just make sure you check your local laws before you start installation.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdog View Post
Kim,
Where I live blue lights (or red) are perfectly legal as long as they DO NOT flash. But not to drive with on.
Cool, Kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
excellent advise as laws differ on this from location to location.

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #13
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
Blue LEDs are illegal in California too. I had a nice chat with a CHP officer about this... he hangs out at the bike night I go to. He said that blue, red and yellow are all illegal in CA because it's "impersonating law enforcement." Even tinted windscreens in those colors are illegal too (like my fiance's Buell which came stock with a red windscreen) because the sun can shine through it and cause a "red" light. He also said that the LED accent lights of other colors are only legal if he cannot see the bulb.

I was in Albuquerque watching people cruse downtown recently and a fella from San Diego was talking to me about the things that are legal here in New Mexico that are not in Cali... it was pretty funny he was saying our laws are like the wild west with things like cars/bikes driving by doing Nitros purges right in front of cops and how our low riders were no where near legal there they were too low or were hopping or scrapping the street. and how it's crazy that "gang banger" types can drive around with AK-47's in a gun rack in their rear window right past cops legally here. It did make it feel kinda wild west-ish.

but I agree Check your local laws.

Old July 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Goosey
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

This thread got me all excited about adding some blue LEDs to my fairings, but apparently (after some googling) it is completely illegal here in Texas. Trying to determine if a more subdued color (white) is cool..

Old July 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosey View Post
This thread got me all excited about adding some blue LEDs to my fairings, but apparently (after some googling) it is completely illegal here in Texas. Trying to determine if a more subdued color (white) is cool..
just move to new mexico.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:36 AM   #16
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

there's these too:

http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HH...=pd_sim_auto_3

I've used them in my car for adding remote circuits for turning on amps, and powering other accessories. if you want something to go on and off with the key, then use it with an existing circuit that already does that. Not too sure if there's anything in the fuse box that is always on regardless of the ignition, but if there is you could use that with an external switch as an alternative to wiring direct to the battery.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM   #17
sugarbear
ninjette.org member

Just an update on my auxillary lighting project!
I found a company that sells motorcycle led kits with a remote for under $50.00! Ordered them on Tuesday. Should get them today!
I ordered blue ones to match the bike. Apparently they are illegal here in Michigan, but I'm thinking about only using them at Bike Nights, not while riding... If there is a problem, I can easily remove the blue ones and get purple party lights
Check out the LEDGlow lighting website. (FYI: I am not affiliated in any way.) They have a 10 min video showing the installation. Looks easy enough.... (yeah, I say that NOW. )
Hopefully I can figure it out and get them installed over the weekend!

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #18
BIGT94z
ninjette.org member

Name: b

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

you should make a dyi thread when u intall yours i have been thinking of getting some green ones to use on night hwy rides to make me more noticeable
BIGT94z is offline   Reply With Quote