ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 29th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #1
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Vulcan 500

Tank size

So I ran out of gas yesterday. I always fill up at around 230 miles ( just the way it works out with my commute) and I always put in 3.4, 3.5 gallons (66mpg). The tank always seem like it had some gas but not really 1.5 gallon. Knowing that the tank is 4.9 I decided to pass the gas station and keep going. At 269 miles bike started to choke and died. I though something bad happened but after opening the gas cap I realized the tank was empty. There was still some gas so I tipped the bike to the left to make sure all the gas was on the side of the petcock. Managed to start it up and rode another two miles. It died again about 1/8 mile from gas station. I tried to tip the bike again, almost laying it down on the side , but there was just an ounce left in there. Petcock was ON (not reserve) So I pushed the bike to the station, fill it up and managed to put only 4.1 gallons. 4.1 with gas over spilling. According to the mileage, 4.1 is about right as I get about 66-67MPG. The tank is original with no dents in it. Today, I took the tank off, drained it empty. Went to a different gas station in my tuck and filled it up. Again 4.3. I tried tipping the tank to get the max amount of gas. WTF. I should be good for 320 miles if the tank was 4.9 gallons. Now I know why it died after 271 miles. It's 2005 model.
planet-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Was the reserve gone? How big is the reserve?
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #3
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Yes. The tank was empty (up side down). I don't know how big is reserve. I never in my life rode any bikes with reserve on. Reserve is just a longer pipe sticking out inside the tank.

Old July 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's the other way around. Reserve is the shorter pipe. When it runs out of gas on the ON, you move it to the Reserve and you have another half gallon or so.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #5
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Tank size is 4.8 I believe, with the .8 being reserve. Reading around, it seems common for people to only be able to put in ~4.5 gallons into the tank. Did you try to put the petcock to reserve when you ran out?
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
That is correct, the tank is 4.8 gallons. I would adjust my fillups to 220 miles instead of 230 because your mileage can vary due to atmospheric conditions and even laying on the throttle a little more than usual.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #7
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Actually, this brings up an interesting question I have. I have an '09, purchased in Canada. My instruction book doesn't mention anything about a petcock. Went in and asked my dealer's service center, they said the same thing, mine doesn't have one.

Seems odd, but is this confirmed?

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
Actually, this brings up an interesting question I have. I have an '09, purchased in Canada. My instruction book doesn't mention anything about a petcock. Went in and asked my dealer's service center, they said the same thing, mine doesn't have one.

Seems odd, but is this confirmed?
The new ones don't have an actual reserve. What you see is what you get.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

The new gens do have a petcock, but it's underneath the left fairing and isn't adjustable by hand. Only options are Prime and On, no reserve. They removed the reserve since they now have a fuel gauge. (also just talking about the carbed version)
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #10
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

Hope im not jacking or deviating to much from the OP, but i have an 09 and I try to fill her up when the gas gauge reads half of a 1/4 (1/8). When i fill her up (Till the gas hits the little metal cup inside, kick stand down) on average i put in 2.6- 2.8 gallons max (needle goes barely over 3/4 full). From full to fill up time i usualy only go about 135 miles... How big is the new gen tank? Should i fill up with the bike upright?
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #11
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Ok. sorry I always run on reserve, with petcock sideways (whatever that is)

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Petcock positions:
Pointing rearward - Off
Pointing down - On/Run
Pointing forward - Reserve
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet-beaver View Post
Ok. sorry I always run on reserve, with petcock sideways (whatever that is)
Yep - don't do that. The point of the reserve feature is that it lets you know when you're down to your last 30ish miles, so you can go get some gas before you need to push the bike along the side of the road.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #14
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
The new ones don't have an actual reserve. What you see is what you get.
Please don't hit me for being retarded...so a 2010 Ninja 250 DOES NOT have a reserve tank?

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #15
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Correct, all ninja 250s manufactured after 2008 do not have a reserve, they only have a two position petcock that has run, and prime.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #16
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
Please don't hit me for being retarded...so a 2010 Ninja 250 DOES NOT have a reserve tank?
A reserve tank isn't a separate tank or anything. It is just a way for the older gen to know when they are running out of gas since they do not have a fuel gauge (and I'm assuming no dummy light?). Basically turning the petcock to reserve switches to a shorter pipe that draws from the lower portion of the gas tank.

Since the newgen has a fuel gauge, a petcock with a reserve switch is unnecessary.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:15 PM   #17
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yep - don't do that. The point of the reserve feature is that it lets you know when you're down to your last 30ish miles, so you can go get some gas before you need to push the bike along the side of the road.
+1 Also more chance of drawing some crud into the carbs when using the very bottom of the tank, always use main ..........
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:09 AM   #18
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
+1 Also more chance of drawing some crud into the carbs when using the very bottom of the tank, always use main ..........
Heres my question I've had for a while, just forgot to ask it. So i understand all the crap in gas would go to the bottom of the tank and sit correct? Thats why its good to go into reserve ever so often. My question IS, say I just filled up, if I switch to reserve for about 50 miles, will it suck the nastyness off the bottom (taking out of the reserve hole since its lower) or still suck gas out of the regular petcock position? I hardly ever ride into my reserve, usually go about 200 miles then start looking. I KNOW I can go 250-260 before reserve though.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:46 AM   #19
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
Heres my question I've had for a while, just forgot to ask it. So i understand all the crap in gas would go to the bottom of the tank and sit correct? Thats why its good to go into reserve ever so often. My question IS, say I just filled up, if I switch to reserve for about 50 miles, will it suck the nastyness off the bottom (taking out of the reserve hole since its lower) or still suck gas out of the regular petcock position? I hardly ever ride into my reserve, usually go about 200 miles then start looking. I KNOW I can go 250-260 before reserve though.
If the petcock is set to reserve, it will take from lower in the tank, not the taller tube.
Invariably, over the course of a few years use, you will usually get some small flakes of paint, rust, and dirt collecting at the bottom. If you don't use reserve very often, those deposits can sit there a long time. It's certainly not desirable to use reserve in order to deliberately suck them through, as you're likely to end up with a blocked jet, and then all the associated problems that go with it.
My experience over the years with many types of bike, and car, is that the problem is somewhat dependant on the design of the tank, and how low the reserve petcock actually takes from it.
I'm very new to the 250 ninja's, so I don't honestly know if it is a particular issue here. I just have always been in the habit of not using reserve unless I actually had to.
As a slight aside, last year I had an old Yam XS250, (identical to the XS400 that's common in the States), which had been stood for a few months, also it was rather tatty. So, I removed the petcock, there was a ton of crud, and the filter had come off and was floating in the tank.
Naturally I cleaned out the floatbowls on the carb, rebuilt the petcock, replaced the filter, and filled with petrol.
I couldn't get the thing started for love or money, seemed like fuel starvation, but I didn't see how as I'd just cleaned it all out. Then the penny dropped, the only thing I didn't clean was the banjo where the fuel pipe entered the carbs. It had a ton of stuff in it that had washed through when the filter came off, lesson learnt !

So I guess if you have been running your bike for a while with no issues, don't worry, but if the bikes new to you, or has been stood a while, it's at least worth making sure it's clean inside to start with
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote