ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 14th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Tie-down questions

Already did a search and found a few decent threads on how to tie down a bike, whether it's in the back of a pickup or a trailer. When I get back, I plan on having my buddy who currently rides an enduro style bike, help me. He said when he straps his down, he has something called a shock saver to protect the seals from breaking from being tied down with too much force. Is there anything like this for our bikes? What do you all who've transported your bikes before do?

Almost scared enough to just forget transporting it with a truck or trailer since apparently you can bust the seals and in another thread, I read about bikes with sticking throttles after being tied down with a canyon dancer bar holder.

Old February 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

First of all, don't use canyon dancers and you can instantly squash the worry of a stuck throttle. Just loop your tiedowns around the lower triple clamp as explained here:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Hauling_on_a_trailer

Second of all, I've transported all over the place an absurd number of times by now for absurd distances and occasionally I've had the suspension borderline bottomed out from people tying it down a bit too tight when assisting me, and I've never blown a seal. And the trailer I tow it on has no form of suspension of its own (It relies on the bike's suspension to absorb bumps), so if blowing a seal was that easy, I'd have done it by now. Not saying it's impossible, but there's probably something wrong with the seals to begin if compressing the suspension is blowing them out.

Don't think so much on it. Just buy some good tie downs (I use Ancras), secure the front by the lower triple, secure the back by whatever you can grab on to, make sure it feels secure, then have at it. This is my shoddy rig:

It's a rail with an axle and some tie down points. If I can tow on THAT without an issue on rough freeways and on regular trips ranging from 80-350 miles each way, you should be able to tow just about anything.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Thanks for the replies. Both make me feel better about strapping it down. Have no idea what the lower triple is but gonna try to look it up. From that link, I can make out that it's in the front and part of the forks but beyond that, I couldn't tell ya.

Old February 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Have no idea what the lower triple is but gonna try to look it up. From that link, I can make out that it's in the front and part of the forks but beyond that, I couldn't tell ya.
It's the lower of the two clamps that clamp around the forks. One moment, I'll get you a picture right now:

And a close up:

You can't miss it
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Wow, thanks for the pics! Looks a lot more secure and less complicated than I thought. Definitely a lot more confident about it now.

Old February 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
You should've seen the bodge I used to get my ninjette home when I first bought it. I used a ford transit. There were very few points on the van I could tie the bike too, so I couldn't properly secure it. I ended up taking a bunch of used tyres from a garage and using them to cushion the bike. It worked out pretty well in the end.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #7
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post

It's a rail with an axle and some tie down points. If I can tow on THAT without an issue on rough freeways and on regular trips ranging from 80-350 miles each way, you should be able to tow just about anything.
I think this definitely beats out any vehicle on the road:

If you can tow two jet skis in the hot Nevada desert during the middle of August with a 1.4L 103HP Scion xB, I am sure you can tow ANYTHING.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #8
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
It's the lower of the two clamps that clamp around the forks. One moment, I'll get you a picture right now:

You can't miss it
So this is the best place to hookup to the front? Right above the clamps there?

Will this do any fork damage?
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

If you get the new style of canyon dancers the ones with the cups you don't have to worry about the throttle. I have transported my ninja quite a few times and have had no issues. The bar harness helps a ton, I use my s10 pick up and have transported two bikes in it on multiple occasions. It's not hard and easy to do.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #10
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
If you get the new style of canyon dancers the ones with the cups you don't have to worry about the throttle. I have transported my ninja quite a few times and have had no issues. The bar harness helps a ton, I use my s10 pick up and have transported two bikes in it on multiple occasions. It's not hard and easy to do.
Canyon Dancers are poor products because they are attached to the handlebars.
Which are designted to be used with human strength to control the motorcycle while in motion.
Handlebars are not designed to be used for securing the motorcycle with forces that ratchet tie-downs can produce.

Just because you have no problem using them transporting your bike, doesn't mean that most people would have the common sense to stop ratcheting before they bend their handlebars or their suspension is compressed way too much.

IMO, best way to transport a moto is to secure the bike by the wheels/tire, without the compression of suspension parts.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
This is my shoddy rig:
Tiffani is now a badass in my books. Tiny little trailer. Tiny car. Motorcycle. Awesome Tiffani

Last futzed with by choneofakind; February 19th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Canyon Dancers are poor products because they are attached to the handlebars.
Which are designted to be used with human strength to control the motorcycle while in motion.
Handlebars are not designed to be used for securing the motorcycle with forces that ratchet tie-downs can produce.

Just because you have no problem using them transporting your bike, doesn't mean that most people would have the common sense to stop ratcheting before they bend their handlebars or their suspension is compressed way too much.

IMO, best way to transport a moto is to secure the bike by the wheels/tire, without the compression of suspension parts.

Not sure what harness you are using but mine pulls across the bike not straight down. It putts lateral pressureob the bars not downward pressure. To bend the bars you would have to ratchet them so tight and bottom your suspension so much to even attempt to bend your bars that you would have to be so stupid that I doubt you could even operate a bike at that point.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #13
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Not sure what harness you are using but mine pulls across the bike not straight down. It putts lateral pressureob the bars not downward pressure. To bend the bars you would have to ratchet them so tight and bottom your suspension so much to even attempt to bend your bars that you would have to be so stupid that I doubt you could even operate a bike at that point.
ok stupid question what are canyon dancers ?

pics please

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #14
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I believe Kawasaki ships our bikes from Thailand to the usa tied down in crates with the suspension compressed. Anyone ever buy a new bike with blown fork seals?
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #15
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz944 View Post
ok stupid question what are canyon dancers ?

pics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I believe Kawasaki ships our bikes from Thailand to the usa tied down in crates with the suspension compressed. Anyone ever buy a new bike with blown fork seals?
Why don't we all compress the front suspension when our bikes are not being ridden, over time that might increase enough preload to get rid of that annoying front end dive when front brake is appied?

Think about it, just because it's ok to do, doesn't make it a good idea.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote