ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 5th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #1
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

Name: jacob

Motorcycle(s): 1996 ninja 250

carb problems 1996 ninja 250

hi everyone, I’m assuming I have a carb problem with my bike. if I adjust the idle screw below 4,000 rpm my bike cuts off. also after starting my bike and giving it time to warm up when I go to take off in first gear the moment I start to release the clutch the bike almost cuts off. but when I pull the clutch lever in it idles fine. if I do this 5 or 6 times while revving the engine to 10,000 rpm it will take off... why is this? Any tips on what I should do? I have been using sea foam in my gas and it is still doing this. should I take off my carbs and clean them? or is it a bigger problem? should I change my air filter?

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

You'll need to fully dismantle and clean the carbs, especially the air bleeds and idle jet passages. To do this really well you need compressed air and a good spray cleaner. I recommend Brakleen (red can,not green can) brake cleaner, it does a great job dissolving carb fuel deposits and will not leave any residue. For compressed air you can use a couple cans of the computer cleaner stuff, but I recommend getting a compressor if you can afford one. Really nice ones can be had for a hundred bucks nowadays at Harbor Freight.

Seafoam is ok for preventative maintenance, but it's not nearly strong enough to clean up old deposits. Anything strong enough to do that would destroy the seals in your petcock and carbs.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #3
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Yep, what FrugalNinja250 said. You've got carbs that are in need of a good cleaning.
Tony

Old January 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Yup, sounds like clogged pilot jets.

Old January 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

thank you guys. any vids or instructionals online that i should watch/read? i have a basic idea about how to do it but im kinda nervous about it. thanks

Old January 7th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #6
kkim

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...n_the_carbs%3F
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #7
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

thanks for the link. is it possible that a dirty carb could be affecting my top speed? my ninja tops out at around 80. i only weigh 185.

Old January 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #8
kkim

depending on how dirty the carb is, the answer could be "yes". If the main jets are clogged up, as we think the pilot jets are, then yes, top speed will be affected.

if the carbs are dirty when you disassemble them, consider removing the fuel tank and emptying it out by dumping the contents out through the fill hole. Slosh some clean gas in there a couple of times and dump that out. refill with nice clean fuel.

also, there is a small inline fuel filter right where the fuel line enters the carbs that you might want to check for additional debris.

Old January 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM   #9
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

If you're going to take out your carb and clean, I suggest you replace the pilot jet with a bigger size from Sigma Racing. Here is the bay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I swap out my pilot jets and it cures 90% of my cold or hard to start problems. I don't need to be on the choke for 10+ min. to idle normally and its easier to maintain idle with with mods. Besides shiming your needles or a jet kit, this is the second best carb mod you can do to your 250 IMO.
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Or just clean the carbs and set them up properly (=free).
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #11
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

after throughly cleaning my carbs my ninja is running extremely sluggish. . before i cleaned my carbs it was much faster but had to be kept ideling at 4-5000 rpm or it would cut off. also i had to let it warm up with the coke on for almost 10minutes every time. it idels consitantly at 2500 rpm and starts much easyer not. but it is still slower than a minivan now...

Old February 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #12
kkim

it's slower now even after the motor spins up past 5k?

what did you do when you cleaned the carbs??? any jetting changes?

Old February 14th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #13
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

no jetting. cleaned underneath the carbs where the bowls are. took out the main jets and pilot jets and cleaned them. removed one of the top covers of the carbs where the black rubber thing is (not sure the propper name). i may have pinched the black rubber thing?? would that be the cause? could it have been so dirty that it was like having smaller jets? also it seems to have more low-end power. idk what is going on

Old February 14th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #14
kkim

dunno... maybe you're so used to the bike idling at 4-5k that now when it idles at a lower rpm (BTW, idle should be set to around 1500), it just seems slower until the bike gets to 5k? that's why I asked it the bike is slower even above 5k?

Old February 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #15
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

same speed at 5k but at 9-13 its veeerrry slow.

Old February 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #16
kkim

check the carb diaphragms (the black rubber things on the inside tops of the carbs). If they get damaged (ripped or pinched) it can affect the rate at which the slides rise and fall in the carbs, which in turn affects the midrange power in the bike.

Old February 15th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #17
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Do you have all your vacuum lines right and the carb boots on right and tight?
How old is your bike and how many miles do you have on it. Have you done a compression test?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #18
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

im not sure what a compression test is so i havent done one. my bike is 94. I didn’t remove any vacuum hoses.