ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 27th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #1
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Name: ALi

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

2011 Ninja 250 throttle hesitation

i recently got a ninja 250 (first bike) got it for a decent price got it in winter so could not really ride it but went through all the gears checked the oil brakes etc everything looked fine also started it up and was running fine
now that the problem i am having is when i started it up before i put it in for storage i took it around the block 2-3 times and i noticed that when i get to the 5k rpm mark it bogs a little then suddenly gets lots of power and accelerates just fine after the 5k rpm mark i was thinking to when summer time comes around to change the oil and run seafoam through it hopefully that will clear up anything that is stuck in the carb?

the bike is a 2011 ninja 250 with 8500km on it any help will be appreciated
thanks and have a good day
kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If you wait to work on it the problems will only get worse. At a minimum, drain the gas from the float bowls.

Changing the oil is always best before storage - not after. Sitting in a humid environment can cause internal corrosion if the oil is not fresh.

I would fill the tank to the top, and add a fuel stabilizer for good measure. Most likely i would drain the tank in spring and fill with fresh gas to minimize the chances of bad gas causing running problems. Run the old gas in the mower or car - they don't care. Use ethanol-free 87 octane if it's available in you area, and add a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate at 1oz per gal for a tank of 2.

If the deposits in the carb are minimal it may do the trick, but it's possible the carbs may need to come off and be cleaned. If that's the case, come back and ask for advice before digging in - it will save you a lot of work and aggravation.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2017, 08:58 AM   #3
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If you wait to work on it the problems will only get worse. At a minimum, drain the gas from the float bowls.

Changing the oil is always best before storage - not after. Sitting in a humid environment can cause internal corrosion if the oil is not fresh.

I would fill the tank to the top, and add a fuel stabilizer for good measure. Most likely i would drain the tank in spring and fill with fresh gas to minimize the chances of bad gas causing running problems. Run the old gas in the mower or car - they don't care. Use ethanol-free 87 octane if it's available in you area, and add a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate at 1oz per gal for a tank of 2.

If the deposits in the carb are minimal it may do the trick, but it's possible the carbs may need to come off and be cleaned. If that's the case, come back and ask for advice before digging in - it will save you a lot of work and aggravation.
ok so i did fill up the tank with new gas prior to storing the bike and did add fuel stabilizer i did not do a oil change so when riding season comes i will change the oil before starting up the bike
thanks for the help will let you know
also i was thinking its still fairly a new bike with 8k km on the odometer will it actually need a carb cleaning i was thinking it might be just a foul spark plug so i tune up might do the trick? thats what i was just thinking not an expert or anything

Old January 27th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #4
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
ok so i did fill up the tank with new gas prior to storing the bike and did add fuel stabilizer i did not do a oil change so when riding season comes i will change the oil before starting up the bike
also i was thinking its still fairly a new bike with 8k km on the odometer will it actually need a carb cleaning i was thinking it might be just a foul spark plug so i tune up might do the trick? thats what i was just thinking not an expert or anything
Welcome to the world of the 250! I recently got my first 250 and after reading and talking with the guys on this forum, I went over EVERYTHING with a fine toothed comb on my bike- including removing and cleaning the carbs, adjusting the valves, changing ALL fluids, checking for play... basically I took the maintenance schedule and assumed that nothing had been done whatsoever and I did everything that the maintenance schedule called for on my milage. Not only was I a lot more confident riding my bike, but I learned a ton about it in the process- and had a good bit of fun (and a little aggrevasion, I will admit). I would suggest doing the same if you have a good set of tools and a garage. Since you're not out riding right now, you should have plenty of time to get everything done. I was anxious to get out on the road, but I got everything done in a couple of weekends at a pretty slow pace. This forum has all the info you would need and most people on here are more than willing to help. Plus, as an added benefit, response time is usually pretty quick. =)
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
If the gas was bad or there is any amount of condensation in the tank, adding new gas to it won't make it good. Draining the tank completely is the only way to really know what you are dealing with. Draining the flotbowls now may keep the problems from getting worse by the time you are ready to work on it.

If the oil looks OK, leaving it might be fine. If it looks like crude, I would change it now.

Yes, a bike that new with low miles can need the carbs cleaned. I had a factory Honda tech tell me one of their new bikes was prepped and run, then sat in the warehouse for 4 months, and need the entire bank of carbs cleaned before it would start. Gas with ethanol goes bad quicker, and as gas evaporates in the floatbowls it leaves deposits that plug the jets.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2017, 10:59 AM   #6
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If the gas was bad or there is any amount of condensation in the tank, adding new gas to it won't make it good. Draining the tank completely is the only way to really know what you are dealing with. Draining the flotbowls now may keep the problems from getting worse by the time you are ready to work on it.

If the oil looks OK, leaving it might be fine. If it looks like crude, I would change it now.

Yes, a bike that new with low miles can need the carbs cleaned. I had a factory Honda tech tell me one of their new bikes was prepped and run, then sat in the warehouse for 4 months, and need the entire bank of carbs cleaned before it would start. Gas with ethanol goes bad quicker, and as gas evaporates in the floatbowls it leaves deposits that plug the jets.

ok thanks so much for the help i will empty the flotbowls as soon as possible

Old January 27th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #7
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
welcome hope you enjoy the experience.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote