ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #1
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

two brothers ex

Hey guys deciding if i want to change out my exhaust or not. Especially if its going to be really loud. Anyone have any experience? and any increase in power?

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Not much increase in power. A little, but that's likely from my jetting changes that I did at the same time, not the pipe. Great sound. Very lightweight. A little loud though. They're kinda annoying when riding home at 1:00 in the morning and you want to be quiet, or when you have a headache and don't like loud noises. Ear plugs are a must.

Here's what my bike sounds like. This is with P2 powertips installed. They really do make a beautifully low and rumbly sound without them though.

pardon the shady vid. I'm working on finding a good camera mount. Just bought a new one. I'll test it out in the spring

Link to original page on YouTube.

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Not much increase in power. A little, but that's likely from my jetting changes that I did at the same time, not the pipe. Great sound. Very lightweight. A little loud though. They're kinda annoying when riding home at 1:00 in the morning and you want to be quiet, or when you have a headache and don't like loud noises. Ear plugs are a must.

Here's what my bike sounds like. This is with P2 powertips installed. They really do make a beautifully low and rumbly sound without them though.

pardon the shady vid. I'm working on finding a good camera mount. Just bought a new one. I'll test it out in the spring

Does the exhaust come with the powertips? and in the vid doesnt sound that much loudered than stock. Loud enough to get pulled over for? i dont want to be pulled over or get in trouble at my apartment complex.

And cool vid. gopro?

Old February 17th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #4
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No it doesn't come with power tips. Had to buy those extra. Trust me, it's a lot louder than stock. You can hear me from a ways off when I rip it open... Like a 1/4 mile. It sounds even better with an opened up intake I'll try and find some other videos for you so show how it sounds in a ride by. If I still have it...

Nope. It's a Flip UltraHD. If I had known about the GoPro when I bought this, I would have gotten that instead. So many more options for mounting.

Old February 17th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #5
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
No it doesn't come with power tips. Had to buy those extra. Trust me, it's a lot louder than stock. You can hear me from a ways off when I rip it open... Like a 1/4 mile. It sounds even better with an opened up intake I'll try and find some other videos for you so show how it sounds in a ride by. If I still have it...

Nope. It's a Flip UltraHD. If I had known about the GoPro when I bought this, I would have gotten that instead. So many more options for mounting.
Ok hmm might get it. I have the open intake system the single pod for both the carbs. Sounds pretty nice. Alot louder than the stock system. exhaust is the last thing i want to do. If u can get some more vids that would be awesome. How was it without the power tips? get in alot of trouble?

Old February 17th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I haven't gotten in any trouble because it's really no louder than any other sport bike with a can. But I will say even without the powertips, it was significantly quieter than my buddy's ex500 with gutted cans (basically straight pipe) and sounded throatier without having a tin-like, overly bright tone quality. video is uploading hang on

Old February 17th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
there's a pretty good pause between my ride-bys because I had to find a spot to turn around, so just sit back and enjoy the sounds of the birds and the woods in July in NE Ohio

as you can tell, they're loud, but throaty and deep. I usually keep it down around police stations where I know the cops are out for revenue, like Boston Heights, but I haven't had any trouble with the local police, and I've seen them pull people over for having blue headlights...

EDIT: btw this video was before I modded my intake, and without the powertips.

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #8
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I haven't gotten in any trouble because it's really no louder than any other sport bike with a can. But I will say even without the powertips, it was significantly quieter than my buddy's ex500 with gutted cans (basically straight pipe) and sounded throatier without having a tin-like, overly bright tone quality. video is uploading hang on
Sweet thanks for the advise. I might def get the exhaust soon. I need something to complement the new tone of my intake :P. O yeah one more question without the powertips how was highway riding?

And great vid btw ha camera is really nice. And great area too. If i showed a video from over here would be more cactus and rocks than birds and trees lol.

Any vids with the intake modifications?

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I try to avoid highways for long distances because I think they're boring, and I like back road/overland routes better. But for the 30-45 minute trips on the freeway that I've taken, it was fine. The wind is still loud, but at least I can hear my own bike when I ride the freeway now

Sadly, no videos of if with the intake lid opened up. I did that over Thanksgiving break, and I forgot to bring my camera home with me then I'll hopefully get some video over spring break if it's warm enough to ride, because I want to test my new mount.

Basically, the sound is more full and deeper from within the bike, rather than just farting out the back. You know what pods sound like. Add that sound to the exhaust in your mind.

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #10
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I try to avoid highways for long distances because I think they're boring, and I like back road/overland routes better. But for the 30-45 minute trips on the freeway that I've taken, it was fine. The wind is still loud, but at least I can hear my own bike when I ride the freeway now

Sadly, no videos of if with the intake lid opened up. I did that over Thanksgiving break, and I forgot to bring my camera home with me then I'll hopefully get some video over spring break if it's warm enough to ride, because I want to test my new mount.

Basically, the sound is more full and deeper from within the bike, rather than just farting out the back. You know what pods sound like. Add that sound to the exhaust in your mind.
Ha i like freeway riding. tis boring but relaxing . Thanks for the advise. i got like one day before its sold. Let ya know how it goes.

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well that explains our gearing. You're running 15/42, and I'm running 14/47

Old February 18th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #12
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

I'm looking to get a full 2 bros with the same cans that you have chone, but I dont seem to find one to save my life. Where did you buy yours?
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Sorry Dave, no full system here. Just slip-ons

But they do improve the top end a little bit. Combine that with this modification (my cut-outs are a little cleaner looking than that) and the result is that I bought some 108 main jets to test this spring because I think the top end is lacking, even though the mid range was perfect with a richer mix. So obviously they do something for the bike besides just cause ear-gasms, because Timon says the bike was good with stock mains and the intake lid modded.

A full system doesn't really have a large of an effect on our bikes vs slip-ons since there's no cats in the headers on pre-gens that are removed by a full system like there are on the new bikes. The biggest addition a full system gives is less weight. At least that's what I've been told...

here's the official product listing on www.twobros.com. I got mine on ebay for under 300, so don't buy directly from Two Brothers unless you want to pay $419

Old February 18th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #14
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Sorry Dave, no full system here. Just slip-ons

But they do improve the top end a little bit. Combine that with this modification (my cut-outs are a little cleaner looking than that) and the result is that I bought some 108 main jets to test this spring because I think the top end is lacking, even though the mid range was perfect with a richer mix. So obviously they do something for the bike besides just cause ear-gasms, because Timon says the bike was good with stock mains and the intake lid modded.

A full system doesn't really have a large of an effect on our bikes vs slip-ons since there's no cats in the headers on pre-gens that are removed by a full system like there are on the new bikes. The biggest addition a full system gives is less weight. At least that's what I've been told...

here's the official product listing on www.twobros.com. I got mine on ebay for under 300, so don't buy directly from Two Brothers unless you want to pay $419
I was already planning on making the cut out mod, so just slip ons huh? I want them, I wonder if they come in black or carbon. So, it does require new needles and jetting? Because then I will have to look into buying that also, and taking the mini beast to get tuned up.

Old February 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've never seen them in anything other than polished aluminum.

All that work on your bike and you're going to pay someone else to jet it for you??

Personally I just have needles shimmed out with washers instead of getting adjustable needles from a jet kit. You'll be fine to test the main jets, and raise the needles by shimming them out a little, or get a jet kit with adjustable needles. Which ever you want. The only thing different about the needles that come in a jet kit is the taper of the needle, which I have yet to hear a positive answer on what effect that makes. I think it has some effect down low right where the idle circuits and the needles are overlapping, but I'm really not sure. I've had no problems with using stock needles that are raised with washers.

DIY shimming the carb needles. (part of the jetting without a jet kit I liked down there)
Jetting with a jet kit.
Jetting without a jet kit

Old February 18th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #16
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

True that, I would feel like a hypocrite if I don't do it myself. I will get a kit probably, but I will need to get this slip ons first.

Old February 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Especially because the work you've done is harder than jetting. Jetting just takes time and changing one thing at a time to test one variable at a time.

Old February 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #18
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

its alot better when u got a fuel injected system :P

Old February 18th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
yeah well I got $500 in my pocket that says my carbs work just fine plus I'm waiting to see what improvements are made on that kit/what the other kit with oem parts looks like.

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #20
808ninjagurl
ninjette.org member

Name: Tanya

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I got a black series two brothers for less then 400, and the sales guy was very helpful. Will post pictures once I get it and install it.

http://www.biohazardcycles.com/servl...-12/Categories
808ninjagurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
We appreciate the insight on a good buy, but that's for a new bike. We have pre-2008 bikes

Old February 20th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #22
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

My Ninja came with 2 Bros. slip-ons from the previous owner:

They are lighter than OEM mufflers, definately loud IMO.
Performance wise, they offer quicker rev to high rpm, but power output doesn't seem to have much difference.
I swithed back to OEM chrome mufflers for the quieter exhust note and less care required to keep them clean.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote