Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 15th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
buying used parts

alright this is the second time i've gotten screwed with ebay parts that claim to be good and get here and are no good. yes i can file a claim and get my money back but what i want is working parts. i'm looking for a transmission output shaft, or entire transmission, or an entire engine at this point. i honestly dont care i just want something that i know is good and heres why i'm posting this... when you guys are buying used parts... how do you know the quality of it? trust the seller until you get it in your hands? don't buy online, only in person where you can check the part before you buy it? how do you go about buying a replacement engine? just search forums for someone local doing a part out? from my experience with ebay i would assume any engine i get there for less than $1000 would be blown to bits. can some of you guys share your experiences hunting down a replacement engine, or replacement parts?

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

When, I buy used stuff online, I usually check their past history and knowledge of the parts being sold. I have bought used MC parts online from mc salvage shops with no problems and they offer warranty as well. I'm fortunate to have a a few shops around town that sells used mc parts. The only time I got screwed was buying a used turbo online and found out later he screwed other people too. People eventually found where he lived and kicked his ass I think.

Are you still looking for a whole engine and transmission? New gen or pre-gen? I can probably find you something that's good and running or knowingly works still.

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

I try to buy from forums as much as I can. That way I can also research the seller and see how many posts he's done, the type of posts, his overall reputation, and if he has been on that forum for a while.

I usually try and negotiate a deal where if it is not what I was expecting or for possible refund how to go about doing it.

However I do minimize that by requesting pictures.

I was actually selling my D675 engine for $900 because I just wanted it gone. The buyer is a skilled mechanic and even did some inspections and he even determined even though it has close to 22K miles mostly track that it is still in great condition and that I really took care of it.

So if you can actually meet up to buy and inspect yourself that is the best.

Ebay is always my last resort for parts.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
When, I buy used stuff online, I usually check their past history and knowledge of the parts being sold. I have bought used MC parts online from mc salvage shops with no problems and they offer warranty as well. I'm fortunate to have a a few shops around town that sells used mc parts. The only time I got screwed was buying a used turbo online and found out later he screwed other people too. People eventually found where he lived and kicked his ass I think.

Are you still looking for a whole engine and transmission? New gen or pre-gen? I can probably find you something that's good and running or knowingly works still.
i am still looking. its going into a newgen. i would prefer newgen. i dont know what i would need to change to use a pregen. all thats wrong with my current engine is the output shaft on the transmission but i wouldnt mind having a spare parts engine. and not have to rebuild this engine again (3rd time?) but if someone can find a whole transmission that is infact good i would buy it in an instant.

Old August 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #5
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

haven't got anything bad from ebay yet, but most of my stuff i can see if it broke from the picture.

Old August 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
unfortunately internal engine parts are usually pretty high tolerance so only a tiny amount of bend or warpage will make the part useless. you cant really tell with a photo

Old August 15th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i don't buy engine stuff because of that
your stuff is rare unless you buy the complete motor.

i would browse the local insurance auctions, and get a totalled bike.

Old August 15th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Buying used is a pain in the ass. I bought a used triple tree off ebay that looked very nice and didn't look bent but it was. Got it for cheap so I didn't really care that much. I then later bought a frame with front forks, triple tree, rearsets, swingarm for purty cheap. Found that on Craigslist and drove 4 hours to check it out. It was perfect and I ended up using that triple tree. I don't think I would ever buy used engine parts off ebay. I like to check things out in person before I buy.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote