ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Review: Motoport Cordura Street Jean 1000 Denier

I was in the market looking for an alternative to my over pant style riding pants.. I was looking for something that would offer me good protection while riding, but also would be comfortable while in a restaurant eating lunch or what have you.

Granted I could have just unzipped the over pants and took them off when off the bike, but I tend to ride with a minimum amount of stuff, and really didn't want to have to worry about leaving my pants behind somewhere.

Ordering was online pretty straight forward (http://www.motoport.com ), after looking at all of the options I decided to go with a pair of black colored jeans ($189.00) this includes motoport's tri-armor in the knee/shin area, and wrap around thigh protection. I also opted for the zippered/Velcro pant cuffs ($29.00), and a cargo pocket on the right leg ($19.00).

All of their pants are made to order, so lead time was 5 weeks when I placed my order. I had to send in a pair of pant, or jeans for them to use as a pattern to make my pants from. I sent in a pair of clean Levi's for them to pattern my riding pants from, one thing I did have to do before shipping my jeans off to them was to mark where the knee/shin armor needed to be located... the website has the instructions to do this, so I won't go into it here.

The pants arrived the other day, and when I got home I had a look see. The material weight is light, I have some cordura bags and such and was sort of expecting the material to be about the same, but to my surprise the pant fabric weight was quite light... maybe this is due to the fact that the pant material has no plastic Polyurethane coating on the back side to melt to my skin if I low side and I take a long fast slide down the asphalt.

The fit around the waist was good, there is a heavy duty fly zipper, and velcro fastener where you would normally see a button snap above the fly, and in case I happen to gain a pound or two in the next few months there is also an elastic section in the waist band at the rear of the pants.

Overall construction of the pants look to be very good, the pants also has a light weight mesh liner inside, so your legs aren't rubbing against the cordura. My other impressions of the pants thus far is that if you are wearing any type of race, or shin protecting boot you will want to opt for the velcro/zipper pant cuff... the shin/knee and thigh tri-armor would made it very difficult for me to buckle up my Sidi ST boots without the side openings.

I can't give any thoughts on how the protection is, and I hope I never have to... at least not for a long time to come but the tri-armor appears to be very well made as is the rest of the pants... but then again this is my first real set of riding pants and I don't have a lot of miles under my belt, on the pants, or the bike for that matter... but as I progress I'll try and offer up any other thoughts I may have on the Motoport pants.

If anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll try and answer them as best as I can.

-Ich

Old August 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #3
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

PICS! or you never got the pants
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #4
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

ok kid's.... I'll try and get pics up tomorrow

Old August 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #5
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Pictures of Motoport Cordura Street Jeans

Ok kids, as requested pictures of my Motoport Jeans.

The first pictures shows the Jeans overall, the second, and third pictures show the zipper/velcro pant cuffs. Picture four shows the waist, and the mesh inner liner. The fifth picture shows the shin/knee, and wrap around thigh tri-armor removed from the pants.

The cargo pocket on the right leg thigh area is sort of useless, I was sort of expecting a cargo pocket similar to what you might find on a pair of army BDU's, not a lot of room in these cargo pockets... if I had known this I probably would have saved myself the 19.00 bucks.

The one thing I forgot to order when I had the pants made was the hip armor, so I may send them back and have that added in. The one thing I did notice when I wore them the other day was that air flow through the pants just walking around is them, it was pretty good in my opinion.

So like I said I'm off for a ride with the pants, and my new Sidi ST boots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0426.JPG (147.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0427.JPG (191.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0428.JPG (162.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0430.JPG (121.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0431.JPG (145.7 KB, 20 views)

Old August 13th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #6
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Nice! I have been wondering a lot about these and I have to say, your review came at a perfect time. I love how you can add hip armor and other stuff. I just got the st boots as well

Old August 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #7
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Hmm that looks good. How comfortable are they? Do you feel like you're basically wearing a normal pair of jeans or do they feel a little snugger?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #8
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesio View Post
Nice! I have been wondering a lot about these and I have to say, your review came at a perfect time. I love how you can add hip armor and other stuff. I just got the st boots as well
I'm glad to hear that James... I hope my write-up was of use to you... If you have any questions, or additional pictures of the pants that I didn't show let me know and I'll post some more up... I finally got some good ride time with my new ST today... it took a little getting use to and adjustment to my shift lever, but I think I'm going to be pretty happy with them also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Hmm that looks good. How comfortable are they? Do you feel like you're basically wearing a normal pair of jeans or do they feel a little snugger?
I just got back from an early morning ride, about 50 miles, 2.5 hrs on the bike.. The pants were very comfortable... I didn't have any binding of the pants anywhere while riding.

They really didn't feel like I was riding in a pair of jeans, but I think that was mainly due to the wrap-around thigh armor. The pant material was very relaxed and soft(?) out of the box... not sure if soft is a good description, but unlike new denim jeans that need to be washed, and worn to be broken-in, the Motoport pants were comfortable, and not stiff out of the box.

I think the key to getting a good fit when you have a pair of the Motoport pants made is to make sure you send in a pair of pants that you feel are comfortable while you are sitting on the bike in the riding position.

I feel my pants are fitted properly enough that if I were to take a spill, I don't have the worry that the armor may move out of position, and not protect the area's that they're suppose to.

The Levi's that I sent in were a newer pair and a little on the big size, since all of my more older comfortable Levi's were a little on the snug side of things... I think in my case by doing this I ensured a pants fit that would be a little more roomier overall... again in my case I'm quite pleased with my pants... BUT as with anything brand new..... well they're brand new, the real test will be how well the pants hold up with regular use, riding, and washing.

Old August 20th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #9
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

^^ with that being said, don't they have some sort of warentee on them aswell? Or am I completely nuts and don't know what I'm talking about? Lol
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #10
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
^^ with that being said, don't they have some sort of warentee on them aswell? Or am I completely nuts and don't know what I'm talking about? Lol
...You're completely nuts

http://www.motoport.com/AboutUs

Old September 17th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #11
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesio View Post
...You're completely nuts

http://www.motoport.com/AboutUs
I figured I was lol. Any who, any updates on the pants? Do they shrink in the wash or anything??
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote