ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old April 29th, 2022, 11:51 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[cycleworld.com] - Joe Roberts on Moto2 Victory in Portimão

Californian Joe Roberts, the first American to win in a Grand Prix class in more than a decade, talks about his chaotic day in Moto2 in Portugal.

Click here to view on their site.

Joe Roberts is the first American to win a Grand Prix class in over a decade. (MotoGP/)California racer Joe Roberts has scored his first Moto2 victory. In a crazy weekend marked by changing weather conditions, Smokin’ Joe took his chance in a hugely dramatic red-flagged race that saw 11 riders caught out by the rain. The ensuing commotion and catastrophe saw those riders out for the restart. After Roberts won the seven-lap sprint race at the Grand Prix of Portugal, the American national anthem was heard for the first time in the intermediate class since John Kocinski’s last victory in 1990. The Italtrans Racing rider made history in Portimão also by becoming the first American to win a Grand Prix in more than a decade.

Bravo! What an incredible and insane race. It was much more than just lady luck shining on that day.

Luck alone doesn’t exist. That’s just how it goes in racing. You need to be there to grab the opportunity. In the last two years, the sun has always shone in Portimão, while this time it was a roller coaster from the free practices on Friday. Saturday was also tricky but I approached the race very confident. I love this track, and when the rain started to come out, I had it clear in my mind what I had to do. It was a mix of respect for the tricky conditions and the awareness that we had the pace to do well no matter what.

Sometimes it’s just a bit of bad luck for the guys who got to that corner first.

I felt very confident from the beginning. In the first part I was with that front group when it started spitting with rain. I’ve had a lot of races and a lot of practice sessions in conditions where it starts to rain and, as a rider, it’s hard to know how hard to push. I remained focused. When I came into turn 2 and saw the bikes everywhere, I figured out really quickly what was happening. So I rolled out of it; despite that, I had a huge moment too as the asphalt was crazy slippery. I was lucky to be just behind and see it all happen and be able to react quick enough.

Roberts’ quick reaction and position on-track allowed him to stay upright while others didn’t during the massive pileup on lap 9. He then was able to capitalize on his restart position, ultimately taking the win. (MotoGP/)When the race was red-flagged after an 11-rider crash on lap 9, the chance was there. When did you understand that it could be your day?

As I returned to the pit lane, there was incredible excitement in the garage. My team knew that it was a golden opportunity and I swore to myself that I had to deliver. For myself, my team, and all the people who had believed in me throughout these difficult years. It was not an easy race, believe me, but we made it.

How difficult was it to maintain the concentration going into race 2?

I told myself, “The race is going on; someone’s got to go and win it.” I knew it was not going to be an easy race, as Jake Dixon and Celestino Vietti were going to be strong. Jorge Navarro’s pace in race 1 looked pretty good too, but we made it.

What was on your mind in the last laps?

I was pretty surprised with the gap I was able to pull, so on the last lap I was taking it extra careful to bring it home. I was crying on the straight. I couldn’t believe it. There are no words to describe this feeling. It was pure joy.

Is there a special dedication for this fantastic victory?

Everyone who has always supported me. My team. A special thought also to my crew chief, Giovanni Sandi, who is very experienced and calm and has always believed in me, even in the difficult weekends when I had doubts about myself.

What is special about Portimão?

I love the Algarve area, and last year I spent a lot of time here, enjoying surfing. In a way, it reminds me of the Californian coast. I also like circuits with a lot of flow. Last Sunday, I didn’t feel like I was pushing to the limit. It just felt like everything came naturally and just flowed. I had nothing to lose, everything to gain. So I just went for it.

What’s your strength as a rider?

I don’t force the bike. I like flowing with it. I really like circuits with a lot of flow like Mugello, Le Mans, or Brno. As a person I am pretty laid-back, but I can be very intense when it’s necessary. Racing is one of these moments

Roberts takes the checkers in Portimão. (MotoGP/)No time to rest. How do you face this coming race weekend in Jerez?

With the same strong motivation, but much lighter. Now I feel relieved. Getting my first GP win was a target and we made it. It was the same challenge with the first pole position, the first podium. We were able to conquer it and repeat ourselves. Now we proved that we can win and I know we can do it again. I want to do the best in this championship and to be the best racer I can be. I have a great team behind me [the Italtrans team were world champions in 2020 with Enea Bastiani]. It took me a bit to adapt as I moved to this new team last year, but now the time is ripe, and I look forward to Jerez. I like this circuit a lot, and we can do well.