ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 17th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
orhanyor
ninjette.org newbie

Name: orhan

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Led blinkers problem!

hello all. i just installed 4 x turn led signals to my bike + 1 led flasher along with them. before installing the led turn signals, i installed the new led blinker to see if it is working ok and it turned out to be working allright. after installing all of the led signals something weird happened. when i flick the turn signal switch left or right, all turn signals flash at the same time like I have hazards on. i tried to disconnect front signals leaving only rear ones but still problem persists. i really dont know what to do? if anyone has an idea would be greatly appreciated.
orhanyor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
sounds like you need to do the "Diode mod" -- http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24500

hope that helps
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
temporary fix: remove the bulb in the dash that indicates when your turn signal is being used.

Permanent fix: diodes, just like Yakaru suggested.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #4
orhanyor
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
sounds like you need to do the "Diode mod" -- http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24500

hope that helps
thank alot man. i read it through and it looks like a solution to my problem. i should get some diodes and get to work

Old March 17th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #5
orhanyor
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
temporary fix: remove the bulb in the dash that indicates when your turn signal is being used.

Permanent fix: diodes, just like Yakaru suggested.
im wondering if i can use those diodes on each side of the bike instead of modding dash turn light indicator.. as it will be easier for me to work with it.. because i already did some modifications to turn light wiring on each side, so maybe i can customize them with some diodes..

edit: ok i found this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
I'm finally getting around to trying some protons in the near future. After reading thru this thread at least 4-5 times and spending the last 30min looking at the wiring diagram for the bike I'm gonna try and condense the 120+ posts into a one-stop concept photo for diode use in this project. I tried to use all the appropriate color schemes for the stock wiring (green or grey for + lines, blk/yellow for ground). Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

There seems to be two methods of using the diodes mentioned in this thread, varying by where you want to do the splicing and how many diodes you wanna use. By splicing in just behind the dash you use 2 diodes total or one per signal by splicing in at the new signal lamps.

note1: in the first method (randomwalk101/novak2k9), you could potentially swap the green/grey wires coming out of the dash indicator lamp so green goes to ground and grey goes to the diodes.
note2: the first method has been confirmed by at least two forum members, I don't know if anyone has used the second (mike_hts) method
Attachment 5341
everybody says that under dash modification works but i will give it a go for the second option in the picture (seems like no one tried it). in theory it should work but i will see how it turns out in practice tomorrow. also i guess i will have to use 4 diodes for each turn signal to their positive cable.. anyway i will see how it goes

Last futzed with by orhanyor; March 17th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #6
orhanyor
ninjette.org newbie

second method doesnt work. just tested it. i applied diode to every single turn signal on the bike but it didnt work. so i guess under dash modification is the only way

Old March 18th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
How many did you use? It might work if you used 8 diodes in all; one for each hot and one for each ground.

The reason all 4 flash is because current flows back through the indicator light on the dash. It still seams easier to me to just use 2 diodes, 3" of wire, and a little shrink tubing behind the dash than to use 8 diodes and have to keep track of which direction they're all facing.

Old March 18th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #8
orhanyor
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
How many did you use? It might work if you used 8 diodes in all; one for each hot and one for each ground.

The reason all 4 flash is because current flows back through the indicator light on the dash. It still seams easier to me to just use 2 diodes, 3" of wire, and a little shrink tubing behind the dash than to use 8 diodes and have to keep track of which direction they're all facing.
i used 4 in total, applied them to only positive sides of the cables.. using only 2 diodes sounds easier to me too, so i already started to build that 'Y' shaped diode cable setup (with soldering and shrink tubing).. ive installed HID lights before so i hope that experience will help me tomorrow.

Old March 18th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You'll be fine.

Old March 18th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #10
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

I was about to say modmy250, but then I saw you're in istanbul. Contact Tri and see if he can ship to you? His no cut diode kit is super easy to install.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #11
orhanyor
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
I was about to say modmy250, but then I saw you're in istanbul. Contact Tri and see if he can ship to you? His no cut diode kit is super easy to install.
yea i saw that kit and watched the video about how they install it in youtube, like you said its super easy but if i order such thing it will take at least 1-2 week(s) till i get my hands on it too bad im so impatient person
i made that cable setup just now and used 2 x 1N4001 diodes. i was worried about if power draw will exceed diode's current limits. i did some research, i found out that 1n4001 has 1 amp capacity and according to my led blinkers datasheet http://www.kellermann-online.com/upl...sDFDark149.pdf
direction indicator draws 1W at 12V so its 0.08 in amps. im assuming that 1 diode is responsible for one side of the bike which i have 2 led signals on each side of the bike so total power draw will be 0.16 amps for 1 diode. in theory these diodes are more than enough for my setup

here is what i did.. it doesn't look so bad

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #12
orhanyor
ninjette.org newbie

just finished modding that signal cable. whole process went flawlessly and it works like charm. im really happy whith it thx to everybody who helped me out with this problem this forum is just great!!

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #13
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I don't understand the need to the diodes is you just buy the right relay my bike is all LED and I have to diodes.

I get the feeling most people are just buying the wrong relay.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #14
orhanyor
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I don't understand the need to the diodes is you just buy the right relay my bike is all LED and I have to diodes.

I get the feeling most people are just buying the wrong relay.
to be specific i bought and im still using this relay from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE...item35b48b48eb

who knows may be your led signals have some kind of integrated diode mode in them

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #15
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by orhanyor View Post
to be specific i bought and im still using this relay from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE...item35b48b48eb

who knows may be your led signals have some kind of integrated diode mode in them
I know my rear blinkers don't have diodes wired or built in and I can unplug every other blinker on the bike and they still blink fine. That's why I suggest the relay that was suggested to me.

Here's the page with all the relays and you can see yours at the bottom or at least it looks like yours. Mine is the CF12ANL-01

http://www.superbrightleds.com/searc...asher%20relay/
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I know my rear blinkers don't have diodes wired or built in and I can unplug every other blinker on the bike and they still blink fine. That's why I suggest the relay that was suggested to me.
What's on your front signals? Those mirrors and what?

It's not the relay that makes all 4 ways blink. It's the front signals.

Current is able to run both ways through the indicator on the dash, depending on which direction signal you're running. Since LED's have very little resistance, they light on that back-flow current from the other signals. Incandescent bulbs don't have this problem because they have a lot more resistance and can act like a very low current wire to this back-flow.

Also, LED's are diodes. They just emit light. Hence, Light Emitting Diode is their name.
But if you have LED's that work on all for corners, they likely have some resistance built in, like Proton flushmounts.

Old March 19th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #17
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Blinkers explained

I'm hoping I can help clear up some issues with LED lights and the 4 way blinker problem. Before I start explaining, let me lay a little groundwork.... some incandescent lamps light up at 6v, some light up at 12v. Both are used in a motorcycle. LED lights will light up at any voltage greater than 1.2v. Keep this in mind as you read below.

In the attached schematics, the left two represent the stock turn signal schematic. Note there is a light bulb between the two halves of the circuit. This is the dashboard indicator light.

In the 2nd schematic, we see what happens when we turn on the turn signal. The left/right switch selects the right side and we put 12v (pulsing) on the front and rear turn signal lamps, and on the right side of the dashboard indicator lamp. As noted by the skinnier red line, there is less than 12v leaving the other side of the dashboard lamp, let's say it drops the voltage to 6v. The remaining 6v isn't enough to light up the left side turn signal lights if they are incandescent. If they are LED, it is enough and they will light up in sync with the other side.

This is the 4 way blinker problem. Now how to fix it.

You can either put two dashboard lights in that are separate, or ditch the dashboard indicator all together, or you can add the Y cable diode wire as mentioned in this thread.

The 3rd schematic shows the diode Y circuit added to the dashboard lamp.

The 4th schematic shows how the diode on the left side prevents current from getting to the opposite side turn signal lamps. Voilla, the LEDs on the opposite side don't light up but the dash indicator light does. The dash indicator may be a little brighter than usual.

At this point, you may still have a blinker that is running double speed, but that's OK.... at least the left and right turn signals work correctly. The double speed is caused by the blinker's burned out bulb function... without 2 incandescent lamps on the circuit, the blinker is designed to blink fast so you'll know a lamp is burned out.

The solution for this is to get a blinker designed for LEDs.

On another note....
I have a honda car and replaced all three of my brake lights with LEDs - and my cruise control started cutting off intermittently or wouldn't come on at all. Turns out, there is only one set of contacts on the brake light switch and they supply 12v to the brake lamps when activated, but don't supply any voltage at all when the pedal is pressed. The cruise control "cancel" function needs to sense when you press the brakes and is looking for a solid path to ground when the brakes are OFF... it gets that path thru the filament of the brake lights. If the brake lights are LED, they don't let the cruise control see 0v, they float a little... say around 1.2volts.

The solution for this was to pick any one lamp and solder a 1k ohm resistor across the lamp pins. I chose the third brake light. This resistor "pulls down" the cruise control cancel signal to 0v and makes it happy.

Zowwie's brake light modulator has been reported to cause the cruise control to not work on certain Victory motorcycles and I suspect it is the exact same issue as with my honda car. I think the solution would be to put that pull down resistor on the upstream side of his blinker module to keep the cruise control cancel function happy. I don't have a Victory to test it on. But I may end up installing his blinker on my honda.

Zowwie's modulator works great on a bike w/o cruise control. Hell, it works on mine with an Armstrong brand cruise control just fine!

Wes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blinkers explained.jpg (26.4 KB, 12 views)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #18
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by orhanyor View Post
second method doesnt work. just tested it. i applied diode to every single turn signal on the bike but it didnt work. so i guess under dash modification is the only way
Thanks for trying it Orhan, and sorry for misleading you. I never did get around to trying the method that individually diodes each signal. There may be a way to get it to work, but as you seem to have decided, the behind-dash mod is just so much cleaner and easier, provided you're ok getting back there.