ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 5th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Kzavis
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Keaton

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Rev problems

I cannot get my bike to rev past 4-5k RPM. I live in boston and someone stole my license plate and I couldn't ride it for 3-4 weeks and this is what happened afterwards.

Link to original page on YouTube.

&

Link to original page on YouTube.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kzavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

I had almost the exact same problem...
My first question for you is: Did the bike get wet at all (rain, washing, especially right before you tried to rev it here?)

For now, I think, considering it sat for 3-4 weeks, that you could have a problem with one of your carburetor jets being clogged with the old gasoline. Did you try running any seafoam (or similar cleaner)?
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If you're having rev problems...
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i would try a sacrificial goat offering first and foremost

Old November 5th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Kzavis
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy View Post
I had almost the exact same problem...
My first question for you is: Did the bike get wet at all (rain, washing, especially right before you tried to rev it here?)

For now, I think, considering it sat for 3-4 weeks, that you could have a problem with one of your carburetor jets being clogged with the old gasoline. Did you try running any seafoam (or similar cleaner)?
Yes my cover fell off numerous times over that time so that is very possible that It got wet. And I ran Seafoam through it for about an hour or so and It did improve. It improved to about 5.5K RPM but still couldnt ride it.
Thanks

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzavis View Post
Yes my cover fell off numerous times over that time so that is very possible that It got wet. And I ran Seafoam through it for about an hour or so and It did improve. It improved to about 5.5K RPM but still couldnt ride it.
Thanks
Just so you're aware, I had a problem with my bike after it was left out in the rain.
Similar to yours: it idled okay, but it would rev very slowly and needed full choke; in addition, like yours, trying to rev past 4 or 5k was impossible.

My solution was simply to leave it out in the sun all day to dry. We figured it was an ignition problem (electrical). After a few hours of drying, the bike was 100% fine. Every time it rained, the problem would recur.

Basically I think these bikes' ignition systems are poorly designed, and are prone to being problematic in wet weather sometimes.

If you have water sitting under the seat or around the engine, I'd do my best to bring it somewhere where it can dry out. Try running some more seafoam through a full tank of gas in addition just in case the carbs are indeed clogged, and see if the problem smooths out.

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
And I ran Seafoam through it for about an hour or so and It did improve.
What did you mean by this; you left it idling for an hour, or went for an hour long ride?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Kzavis
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What did you mean by this; you left it idling for an hour, or went for an hour long ride?
I let it idle... I cant ride it at this point. I tried and it maxes at appox 10mph...

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Kzavis
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy View Post
Just so you're aware, I had a problem with my bike after it was left out in the rain.
Similar to yours: it idled okay, but it would rev very slowly and needed full choke; in addition, like yours, trying to rev past 4 or 5k was impossible.

My solution was simply to leave it out in the sun all day to dry. We figured it was an ignition problem (electrical). After a few hours of drying, the bike was 100% fine. Every time it rained, the problem would recur.

Basically I think these bikes' ignition systems are poorly designed, and are prone to being problematic in wet weather sometimes.

If you have water sitting under the seat or around the engine, I'd do my best to bring it somewhere where it can dry out. Try running some more seafoam through a full tank of gas in addition just in case the carbs are indeed clogged, and see if the problem smooths out.
Sitting out in the sun dried it out enough?

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I let it idle... I cant ride it at this point. I tried and it maxes at appox 10mph...

Don't do that
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
idling puts gas through the pilot jet not the main jet. idling wont help the situation when using seafoam. you have to try to rev it up but you dont want to be revving it up standing still (you'll overheat it- it just wasn't meant for revving standing still) so keep it in first and try riding it around... make sure its seafoam with new gas not old gas (old gas might have water in it, or just be too old to use) as you struggle trying to get past 5k is should slowly get better. but idling wont do anything to help it.

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Don't let any small motorcycle idle for more than a few minutes. In good conditions the cooling system will be effective enough to avoid damage. But in less than optimal conditions, the cooling system is often not sized to keep the engine in a safe zone for an extended period. What did the temp gauge look like after 20+ minutes of idling?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Sitting out in the sun dried it out enough?
Since water was my problem -- yes; if you can get it somewhere dry and check to make sure it isn't damp anywhere (this includes water in the gas; seafoam will help with that). I did this back when it was warm out though, in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
idling puts gas through the pilot jet not the main jet. idling wont help the situation when using seafoam. you have to try to rev it up but you dont want to be revving it up standing still (you'll overheat it- it just wasn't meant for revving standing still) so keep it in first and try riding it around... make sure its seafoam with new gas not old gas (old gas might have water in it, or just be too old to use) as you struggle trying to get past 5k is should slowly get better. but idling wont do anything to help it.
This!
You need to ride it a bit under load and under an open throttle. Get someone else who can maybe.

Idling will only help it to idle better... if you want to clear the main jet with the seafoam (sounds like it might be your problem), you have to open it up a bit so gas is pulled through it.

Last futzed with by Fappy; November 6th, 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: double-quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #14
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just pull the carbs and clean them.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Don't let any small motorcycle idle for more than a few minutes. In good conditions the cooling system will be effective enough to avoid damage. But in less than optimal conditions, the cooling system is often not sized to keep the engine in a safe zone for an extended period. What did the temp gauge look like after 20+ minutes of idling?
i think motorcycle cooling fans should be tied into the speedometer or something. and how come the overheating light is just a light and not a light with a loud annoying buzzer or something

i'm going to hook up my temp light to my horn signal.

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #16
ChiefKeif
ninjette.org member

Name: Keifer

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

not the battery?

my buddy had the same problem, but after a few times of it his died. we replaced the battery then he was golden.
ChiefKeif is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Kzavis
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Thanks I ran it again and it seemed to work. But I did look like and idiot trying to go above 7mph going back and forth on a one way street. Thanks all for the help

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #18
ChiefKeif
ninjette.org member

Name: Keifer

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Thanks I ran it again and it seemed to work. But I did look like and idiot trying to go above 7mph going back and forth on a one way street. Thanks all for the help
hey thats the MGP growler slip on yah? how much do you like it? i just ordered it yesterday
ChiefKeif is offline   Reply With Quote