ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 9th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Should i go for it?

A friend of mine just got hit with some unexpected bill and he is hit for cash. He has offered me his 95 Ducati 900ss with some nice mods for a good (not great) price. I would love to add this bike to my stable but I am about to purchase another investment property so I don't want to raid the savings account. I would have to sell my 2003 SV650s which I have rebuilt from the frame up and is nearly perfect. The sale of the SV would cover almost all of the cost for the 900ss. The 900 has a little high mileage but the owner is a Marine Corps mechanic and takes care of all of his bikes well. He is also offering an aluminum swing arm, rear rim and tire, new starter, new battery plus a full set of fairings for a Ducati 748. The bike runs great and has newer rubber front and rear plus some carbon fibre bits. I am looking forward to tracking the SV this year but I may enjoy riding the 900ss more. I have never ridden a 900ss and I love my sv but But BUt BUT.... I am uncertain if I want to change. Just looking for thoughts from people with similar minds as to what they would do in my situation.

I am aware this is a nice problem to have! Thaks for your input
My ninja 250 is mostly my wifes now so I need to do this for me.

Last futzed with by Ducati999; February 9th, 2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the Ninja 250R
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Sounds like its a really great deal or a not so great deal. You should definitely either buy it or not buy it.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 9th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #3
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
900SS is a nice bike. I had one back when they were new. They're fun.

Old February 9th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #4
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

i would say we need the price so we can tell you if it is a good deal or not, there is no telling how much he is wanting by your definition of a "good (not great) price".

my boss and a few of the other coaches at my MSF location swear by their sv650s and we have a sponsorship with a local ducati dealer and the coaches that have owned ducatis have all said they like their sv650s better. on of them still has a ducati 9xx something and says if he could get his 650 back he would trade on the spot.

me personally i have never rode a ducati or a sv650 so i cant give you much advise on performance or ride.

Old February 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #5
Ducati999

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
i would say we need the price so we can tell you if it is a good deal or not, there is no telling how much he is wanting by your definition of a "good (not great) price".

my boss and a few of the other coaches at my MSF location swear by their sv650s and we have a sponsorship with a local ducati dealer and the coaches that have owned ducatis have all said they like their sv650s better. on of them still has a ducati 9xx something and says if he could get his 650 back he would trade on the spot.

me personally i have never rode a ducati or a sv650 so i cant give you much advise on performance or ride.
I am not trying to decide on the price it is a little below average price in this area. I am looking for input on whether I should switch. I have a Ducati 999 which I will not give up but I bought the SV because it is also a V twin and kinda similar to the Duke. I like the SV I am just trying to decide if I should switch. I have no issue doing maintainance on the Ducatis and I like the SV. I just am not sure if I want to keep the SV or go for the 900. I am asking what would you do if you had the same decision.

Old February 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #6
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
I am not trying to decide on the price it is a little below average price in this area. I am looking for input on whether I should switch. I have a Ducati 999 which I will not give up but I bought the SV because it is also a V twin and kinda similar to the Duke. I like the SV I am just trying to decide if I should switch. I have no issue doing maintainance on the Ducatis and I like the SV. I just am not sure if I want to keep the SV or go for the 900. I am asking what would you do if you had the same decision.
oh ok, in that case i would keep the sv cuz you said you already have a 999 so why buy another ducati so close to the model you own.

Old February 9th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #7
Ducati999

&oxSin good point but the 900ss is closer to the SV than the 999. I am still undecided. I bought the sv because the 999 is way too fast for the road. Ducati gears them really high (178 mph approx.) and even with the much lower gears I put on I almost have to drag the brakes to keep it below 30 mph in town. Also with the gears it is really touchy in the lower gears. My 999 will wheelie in first and second with no clutch and just a 1/2-2/3 throttle turn (not kidding). The 900ss is torque heavy also but with 45 less hp. The 900ss is a 2 valve vs the 999 4 valve. The SV makes around 75hp how she sits now and my 999 is around 140hp

Old February 9th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #8
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I've always liked the looks of the 900SS. The air cooled 2 desmodromic valve will be easier to maintain than the 4 valver. And you already do your own wrenching.

High mileage is in the eye of the beholder: it just means it has been well loved and ridden instead of being a garage queen. And you can always pick up another low mileage SV650S in the future when you're in the money.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #9
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I think I read a post you made about how the SV650 was better to cruise around with when your wife is on the 250. Is this new bike going to give you the same ability to cruise around at lower speeds with her? I know you want it but don't forget about why you like your SV too.

It seems to me that the 2 Ducati's are very similar to each other. A single Ducati and SV seem like a better combo for more variety. And your SV sounds like it's pretty nice too. I think you might end up regretting it (or maybe not).
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

In my eyes that Ducati is ugly. And if I am ever going to own a Ducati, it won't be an ugly Ducati. Does that help? Haha
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
oh ok, in that case i would keep the sv cuz you said you already have a 999 so why buy another ducati so close to the model you own.
pretty much this, having 2 ducatis is a little redundant unless you're tracking one. The sv adds much more diversity to your bikes than a second ducati would. I'd imagine the sv to be much more comfortable for riding distance (unless you set it up otherwise) not to mention you basically built this sv yourself the way you want it perfectly. With the amount of effort that you've put into it it would be a bit of a waste to just sell it.

p.s. I partially wish I had your problems lol
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #12
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post

p.s. I partially wish I had your problems lol
RIGHT!!!!

Old February 9th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #13
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Keep the SV

Old February 10th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #14
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

You sound pretty excited about the possibility of getting the Ducati 900. Follow your heart and get it!

Old February 10th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

SV if you plan on doing a lot of track days. They are kind of the staple track bike, at least up here in new England.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #16
Ducati999

I believe I have made the decision to keep and track the SV while still riding it on the street. I will keep it till 2015 and then look at the KTM RS390. Lighter than the SV with a similar power to weight ratio. I believe this will be my ultimate street/track bike but have not done a test ride yet