ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

This one is for all you young immortal folks

.I had an interesting discussion with my Dermatologist at the Togus VA that I would like to share with all of you--especially the "Nice weather year round types"

The object of this thread is to pass on information from a very competent Dermatologist concerning Skin Cancer. You don't need skin cancer--ask me how I know.

Sun screen SPF-30, at the very least, is important. Be aware of the fact that any sunscreen you buy has a shelf life of three months. Check the date on the package.

Almost everybody in the Ninja family is smart: We wear full face helmets. The good doctor said that this was great, but our face is still going to get a lot of UV through the faceshield.

I mentioned that when one sweats, the stuff gets in your eyes and burns. Her answer was to wear a sweat band--says that she knows that it works because she rides. She and her husband ride a Connie.

Her recommendation is Nutrogena Sun Block. Buy in small quantities because of the short(3 month) shelf life.

So--If you do not want to be cut up on a regular basis, this is information you can use. In my case, it is a bit late. My exposure to the sun without protection was immense, and my ignorance is paying for it. It is not going to kill me, for sure, because I will be checked on a regular basis. I plan to make EVERY appointment.

I have fought and won a six year battle with cancer because of exposure to Agent Orange and whatever else they sprayed in Vietnam. The battle involved some pretty serious surgery. The skin cancer is cake compared to what I went through.

My message to all my friends in the Ninja family is this: Be careful, use sun screen, do diagnostic tests such as pap smears, mammograms, colonoscopies, and all the rest. Cancer is nothing to mess with. It is serious stuff that can seriously impair your riding. Sure, you can get the best of it and win like I have, but be prepared for some hurt. The trick is to take preventive measures so that you don't have to do the battle.

Just a spitball of wisdom I thought I would pass on because I care for all of you.

Old January 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #2
kkim

eh, what do I care about cancer???? it's something that only affects old guys, not us young guys.

oh, wait....
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Sailariel

Kelly, You are a trip. I always love hearing from you. Incidentally, It is -4F right now.

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Odds are good that I'm gonna get some kind of cancer. Not that I'm looking forward to it or anything, mind you, but I don't get out in the sun often enough anyway.

Besides....my eczema gives me enough reason to dislike dermatologists. Buncha witch-doctors I tell ya!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post

Almost everybody in the Ninja family is smart: We wear full face helmets. The good doctor said that this was great, but our face is still going to get a lot of UV through the faceshield.
I would hope any quality visor would block UV rays. Something to look in to...

Old January 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #6
kkim

I doubt a clear visor/shield that most helmets come with block any UV light. I could be wrong, though.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #7
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

3 month shelf life, really? I'm diligent about applying sunscreen but maybe I'm not actually doing any good as most of mine is much older than that. I'll restock my supply.

Old January 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #8
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

good info, back when i was in 2ndbn, i was one of 4 guys who carried it around, made a difference. nitrogen used to have an awesome after sun lotion that was great..hard to find these days.
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #9
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
.I had an interesting discussion with my

Almost everybody in the Ninja family is smart: We wear full face helmets. The good doctor said that this was great, but our face is still going to get a lot of UV through the face-shield.
She is mistaken in her belief, rider or not, with regards to how much UV gets through your face shield. ALL face shields now carry UV ratings to protect your eyesight due to the curvature of the shields. Having ridden from dawn until way late in the night in the desert in the middle of the summer without sunscreen, the ONLY sunburn I received was through the dots of the old style mesh jacket I was wearing that did not have an inner liner. Had there not been any UV protection in the face shield (clear as my smoked shield had not arrived yet), I would have looked like a skier from the slopes, face burnt except where my sunglasses were.

Her warning is valid though if you ride with your visor up for airflow, or don't wear a full face helmet.

Don't forget your neck and wrists by the way. Not all of us remember to sunscreen our necks, which during the summer, even in a mesh jacket are exposed the entire time we ride, as well as our wrists if we are not wearing long gauntlet gloves. Got a mesh jacket? Make sure to either wear a "Heat Gear" style long sleeve, or your jacket has an inner liner to block out the sun itself or you will look like you were using a sieve as sunblock. Made for interesting peeling...

Old January 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #10
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

very good post Alex...as always! Note to the ladies, if you wear makeup, use sunscreen under your make up. If you're a clinic girl like me, they already have spf 30 in it...i never leave my house without dipping myself in sunscreen.

The week after I turned 30 I made an appointment to go get a mamogram...lucky for me my boobs are bigger then normal, so it wasn't so bad...i feel bad for the chicks that have A size cups. ouch!

Old January 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #11
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2003 YZF600R, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Great info. Was her name Michelle by chance?

Old January 18th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
The week after I turned 30 I made an appointment to go get a mamogram...lucky for me my boobs are bigger then normal, so it wasn't so bad...i feel bad for the chicks that have A size cups. ouch!
Pics or it isn't true.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Sailariel

Paulette, I imagine the mammogram is quite uncomfortable. I know that my wife hates them. 30 years old--Wow. I hit the big 69 in a few weeks. Have to drink a lot of Red Bull to keep up with the Ninja family.