ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old February 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #1
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Make yourself visible.

Here is a video that shows some techniques you can use to make drivers see you while riding. Pay particular attention to the demonstrations that show how small bikes can look while approaching and how weaving makes your more visible when approaching a situation where a conflict could occur. I think motorists mistake the visual cues of an approaching bike. They are normally looking for larger vehicles and misjudge approach rates of motorcycles.

Interesting that the author states that Hi-Vis gear, while recommended, can also break-up your silhouette.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old February 19th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #2
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Hmm good advice. I'm going to start using that.

Old February 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I usualy flash my lights from bright (I always use my brights during the day) to low and back to bright when aproaching a car at an intersection to make sure he sees me. The weaving teqnique is some great advice.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Thank you so much...That's a life saver video...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #5
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I usualy flash my lights from bright (I always use my brights during the day) to low and back to bright when aproaching a car at an intersection to make sure he sees me. The weaving teqnique is some great advice.
Just make sure that flashing your lights is not interpreted as a sign to go ahead by the other driver.

Old February 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #6
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Funny thing is I do that all the time. I don't trust drivers to see or hear me at all. Making yourself more visible by weaving does help. But you should also prepare yourself for any sudden pull out by the driver as well. Despite the weaving, the driver still might not see you and decide to just make the turn. Has happened to me a couple of times. Luckily, no accidents yet.

S.I.D.S.Y.! LOL. That is exactly what I hear all the time.

Great vid. Ride safe!
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #7
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Just make sure that flashing your lights is not interpreted as a sign to go ahead by the other driver.
That may depend on local custom. Here in the Caribbean, flashing lights is a the common way to communicate "please go ahead." Due to politeness of Bajans, it is very common to stop in the middle of the road to let someone in from a side road, and the way you let them know about it is is the light flashing. It would be VERY dangerous here to use it as a visibility tool. Not sure where else this is common, but you'd better know your local culture well.

Weaving is something I usually do, gets the tires warm and makes you more visable. Double bonus! Great vid, thanks for posting!

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote