ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 31st, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
chokne
I name everything

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Eva

Help needed: Weird flashing rate

Okay, i don't know if this happened to anybody else who installed the BM integrated tail light but my friends noticed that my turn signals flash rate tends to increase when i accelerate. When i come to a stop, it goes back to normal flash rate. And that happens on both front and back signals, lol. It's good in a way since it attracts attention from cagers, but bad in a way if it attracts attention from police.

I'm not the brightest light when it comes to electrical but i hope someone can help.

By the way, i changed the original relay from the 12.8V to a 12V relay.

Old May 31st, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Paul (momaru) had a similar problem and ordered a different relay from online that seemed to clear it up
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44452

Old May 31st, 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

I WAS JUST about to post this, I swear. I started noticing it last week, the faster I accelerate, the faster it will blink, when the revs are down, it's back to normal. If I leave the bike in neutral and rev to 7k, it starts blinking like crazy.

I'm thinking a solution to this is putting a load resistor on the circuit.

By any chance, did you NOT use a resistor during your setup? I didn't
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2010, 04:56 PM   #4
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

maybe it's only something that only happens to Montrealers
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM   #5
chokne
I name everything

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Eva

I'll see if I can find another flasher relay. I didn't use a resistor to install the taillight. Maybe that's the problem. When I get to over 7K rpm, the flash rate is crazy!
Posted via Mobile Device
chokne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #6
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

huh... guess I'll need to get someone to follow me for a bit to see if the new relay fixes this one.

Any idea if it's truly speed related or just RPM related? As RPMs increase so does the alternator/stator output to a certain extent. I suspect the increased electrical output is charging the capacitor faster, causing the faster flash rate. Just speculation though.

Old June 21st, 2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Zandit
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): Red '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Perhaps you should try a variable load LED compatible flasher relay. I may be wrong, but doesn't the alternator produce more power when the bike is revving? This is maybe overflowing into the indicators?

Tell me to STFU, if I am no-where near the mark!!! I like being told what to do!!!!

Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:43 PM   #8
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE, 2007 Daytona 675

I just installed some smaller flush turn signals on my bike but the problem is now the flash rate on that turn signals are increased to about double the speed. I understand that swapping the relay for another one will fix my problems.

So the questions is, what kind of new relay would I need? The stock relays are 12.8V, would a 12V relay fix my problems?

Where would I be able able to purchase a new relay? Would I be able to get it at an Autozone or something?

Edited: Its late and I'm tired, but I actually post the same question in a different thread, so whichever one gets answered first, I'll go ahead and delete the other one.
gophurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophurr View Post
I just installed some smaller flush turn signals on my bike but the problem is now the flash rate on that turn signals are increased to about double the speed. I understand that swapping the relay for another one will fix my problems.

So the questions is, what kind of new relay would I need? The stock relays are 12.8V, would a 12V relay fix my problems?

Where would I be able able to purchase a new relay? Would I be able to get it at an Autozone or something?

Edited: Its late and I'm tired, but I actually post the same question in a different thread, so whichever one gets answered first, I'll go ahead and delete the other one.
You'll need a relay specifically designed for LEDs. I am currently using CF12ANL-01 from SuperbrightLEDS. Worked like a charm: no cutting, no rewiring.

I tried an "electronic flasher relay" as well as a "heavy duty flasher relay" from Advance and they both did some weird things with my system. You might be able to find one local, but I know the one from superbrightleds works and a couple of other members use it as well.