ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Intact chain

I was given a stock chain that has about 1000 miles on it. How does one install (or remove for that matter) an intact chain onto a bike? Do I have to cut it & use a chain link?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #2
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
I was given a stock chain that has about 1000 miles on it. How does one install (or remove for that matter) an intact chain onto a bike? Do I have to cut it & use a chain link?
yes, unless you want to remove your swingarm to install it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #3
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yes, unless you want to remove your swingarm to install it.
Thanks K. Is there a specific master link you would recommend? Perhaps from this list? Thanks.

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superst...in+master+link

Old May 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #4
kkim

John... yeah, here's the tricky part. I was taught to always use a master link that was designed for the particular brand and model of chain. Seeing as you are using a chain that was designed for no master link, there is no model specific ML to select.

If you still want to use the chain, select a ML from the same brand and a model that is as close to what you have. Look on one of the link plates and I believe you will see what brand and model you have. IIRC, they used either a DID or RK O-ring chain on the ninjette from the factory. Check your service manual to confirm.

Let me know what ML you end up finding that fits, cause I've always wanted to hack off one link on the stock chain so I could remove it for cleaning, but have not done so due to this master link issue.

Old May 20th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
John... yeah, here's the tricky part. I was taught to always use a master link that was designed for the particular brand and model of chain. Seeing as you are using a chain that was designed for no master link, there is no model specific ML to select.

If you still want to use the chain, select a ML from the same brand and a model that is as close to what you have. Look on one of the link plates and I believe you will see what brand and model you have. IIRC, they used either a DID or RK O-ring chain on the ninjette from the factory. Check your service manual to confirm.

Let me know what ML you end up finding that fits, cause I've always wanted to hack off one link on the stock chain so I could remove it for cleaning, but have not done so due to this master link issue.
Good advice. Unfortunately, a dealer installing my last chain and sprockets recommended that I pay them for a rivet-type master link instead of using the clip-type one that came with my chain. I took their advice and got a miss-matched rivet master link installed. About 8,000 miles and less than a year later my sprockets are chewed up and my miss-matched master link visibly binds and can be heard scraping the inside of my sprocket cover. They said it was safer and insisted that I use it. *sigh* It sounded like good advice and only cost a few bucks but in the end I suspect that it cost me a lot more. It *may* have been caused by something else, like the object I hit in the road back in October, but the rivet link does visibly bind when none of the other 105 links do.

Last futzed with by CZroe; May 20th, 2011 at 08:41 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #6
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Kim
I think I would get the rivet kind rather than clip on type. I heard clipons have flew off before. Not fun I imagine...so can't take it off for cleaning if rivetted.

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #7
kkim

I've used O-ring clip type ML on my cbr600s before w/o problems. what ML did you decide to go with?

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Kim
I think I would get the rivet kind rather than clip on type. I heard clipons have flew off before. Not fun I imagine...so can't take it off for cleaning if rivetted.
In the time since I've kept my ear to the ground and heard that it isn't realy a concern for low HP bikes like ours, especially if we aren't racing them.

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #9
randomwalk101
self wrencher

I looked at the stock chain and it's EK 520 SRO so I'll prob get that brand. Although my orig still looks perfect. I only have about 6k miles anyways. With 250 which barely has any power, I imagine the chain will last forever

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #10
randomwalk101
self wrencher

This one:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Chain.aspx

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #11
kkim

thnx

Old May 24th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #12
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

I had someone try to steal my chain, while parked @ yorkdale once, without cutting it... they started removing the adjusters for the chain and pulling that apart, some people are just so stupid.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #13
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Im about to switch mine out. Im using a intact chain....which means Ill have to pull the swingarm which will be TONS of fun. But..its a price to pay for a solid chain with no hokey links.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
I had someone try to steal my chain, while parked @ yorkdale once, without cutting it... they started removing the adjusters for the chain and pulling that apart, some people are just so stupid.
Sure they weren't trying to steal your tires/rims?

Old May 25th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #15
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

possibly, but they did an awful job in either case, lol.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote