ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

Ninja 300 Tracktalk

OK, so I'm on a couple other forums for racing, predominantly at Chuckwalla (CVMA) and there's strong opposition to allow the 300 in any class. I'd love to gauge interest in getting a 300 class started, but we'd need several, or at least 6-8, bikes to grid.

How many of you with 300's, or planning to get 300's, will actually track them? Or better yet, RACE them, in So Cal?

Thanx,
Joel
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Good job....

...but CVMA is not opposed to you racing. As pointed out...you can race the 300 in the F2 class but if your laptimes are anything less than their back marker times your credibility and riding/racing skills may be questioned. LOL

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think the racing threads can probably stay grouped in the main "ninjettes at speed" forum, as that's where all of those folks hang out and would be most likely to see this thread.

/thread moved

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #4
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I think the racing threads can probably stay grouped in the main "ninjettes at speed" forum, as that's where all of those folks hang out and would be most likely to see this thread.

/thread moved
Thanx Alex, but its mostly the two-fiddy guyz that don't want the 300s on the track wiff 'em, although I'm sure/hope a lot of 250 owners will eventually become 300 owners. For most that have invested a lotta time/$ on their 250, they're not too stoked on the 300s (until they get one).

Maybe at least a reference to the "at speed" thread in the 300 area would help to gauge interest, most racers already have 250's, so its probably gonna be a noobish 300 class.

And yeah, Nem, I'm a back-marker in any class, F-2's especially.

Old October 4th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Only one way to get faster; ride the piss out of that bike You won't be the back of the pack for long.

as csmith12 says: have fun and take chances.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
Thanx Alex, but its mostly the two-fiddy guyz that don't want the 300s on the track wiff 'em, although I'm sure/hope a lot of 250 owners will eventually become 300 owners. For most that have invested a lotta time/$ on their 250, they're not too stoked on the 300s (until they get one).

Maybe at least a reference to the "at speed" thread in the 300 area would help to gauge interest, most racers already have 250's, so its probably gonna be a noobish 300 class.

And yeah, Nem, I'm a back-marker in any class, F-2's especially.
I did suggest the 300 grid/score/wave separately in the ULWS class. You just need more 300 racers. Maybe Rexbo and Darren will get one before November so I can win the 250/ULWS series.

Old October 4th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
only one way to get faster; ride the piss out of that bike you won't be the back of the pack for long.

As csmith12 says: Have fun and take chances.
mfwerd!!!

Old October 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Thanx Alex, but its mostly the two-fiddy guyz that don't want the 300s on the track wiff 'em, although I'm sure/hope a lot of 250 owners will eventually become 300 owners.
Just try not to keep wheelieing past them, they don't like that.

Quote:
Not a bad idea.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old October 5th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I did suggest the 300 grid/score/wave separately in the ULWS class. You just need more 300 racers. Maybe Rexbo and Darren will get one before November so I can win the 250/ULWS series.
i can't find this... what was the response? no? this is the most logical course of action it seems but it seems to have been discarded for some reason?

Old October 7th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i can't find this... what was the response? no? this is the most logical course of action it seems but it seems to have been discarded for some reason?
It got lost in the whining/bickering.

As said before, just come out, go race and have fun. If someone wants to be a turd in the punch bowl and protest you, its only points, but you still got to have a fun time on track

We'll give you a place to pit, chill out and have a BBQ saturday night with some drinks. Its a friendly crowd, just not online hahah
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #11
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Ha, thanx Steve, I ruffled a few feathers I think, but I understand everyone's gotta lotta time/$ invested in the 250 class, I shoulda got more info before I posted about trying to get into the 250 class, and I underestimated the ease in creating a new class.

I've only put 40 miles on the bike (been outta town),and I'm pretty underwhelmed in the power dept, but I did notice in my first outing in the back hills this am that the 300 turns nicely and if the rpms are in the 5 digit zone mosta the time, the thing is a blast to ride.

The fact that you guys are logging times waay faster than my sv times made me think no one would care if I joined the class with the new toy, but now I get why some peeps are so defensive.

I'm skipping Oct to drink/surf in Cabo, but will be clogging the corners in Nov, look forward to cracking a beer with whomever is still speaking with me then.

Gonna try to get some suspension and tuning mods between now and then :-)

Cheers,
Joel

Old October 7th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You may be a bit underwhelmed in the power department compared to your SV, but the stock 300 is putting out some nice power and torque compared to a fully modded race 250. That's why people are a little upset about it. Power advantage. 3 hp is a huge gain with these bikes when you're comparing it to the max power output of under 30 hp on a stock 250.

We all know it's all in the hands of the rider, but in this case, people just don't yet know how much of an advantage the 300 has/doesn't have on the track against other 250's. People are afraid of what they don't know.

Old October 7th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #13
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Yeah, would really suck if my posts resulted in good people bailing from CVMA, sheesh, haven't even put the thing on the track yet, and I've already made the disclaimer I'm a mid-packer at best.

OTOH, would be awesome to get a full 300 grid up and going, my suspicion is a lot of the guys/gals that already have 250's will eventually head that way anyway, and everyone likes racing more than one bike in more than one class, so ULWS and a 300 class would give people a lot of options.

Old October 8th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Yeah, would really suck if my posts resulted in good people bailing from CVMA, sheesh, haven't even put the thing on the track yet, and I've already made the disclaimer I'm a mid-packer at best.

OTOH, would be awesome to get a full 300 grid up and going, my suspicion is a lot of the guys/gals that already have 250's will eventually head that way anyway, and everyone likes racing more than one bike in more than one class, so ULWS and a 300 class would give people a lot of options.
it was the responses from CVMA that made him leave, not your question. you had valid questions with valid reasons. an official telling someone "just go head and break the rules and see if someone cares" while in the same message chastising the current front runner and lap record holder for a slight possibility of maybe breaking a small rule that has basically no effect... (you aren't going to get more than 0.25HP from removing a snorkel)

he left because people running cvma treat 250 class like its a joke. which i can understand from someone in the meat-grinder class perspective. but not from a race official's perspective. and if it isn't a race officials perspective, why is it coming from someone clearly labeled as a CVMA worker, on what they clearly claim is the "official" cvma forum.

Old October 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #15
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Alex, that may well be the single best phrased explanation I've ever seen you post in regards to anything. Almost impressive.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #16
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
:O

Old October 8th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Sapper
MSF Instructor

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2010 Yamaha WR250R, 2008 CBR600RR

I have almost no interest in tracking this 298cc twin.

My 2008 600RR was my street bike and I have been converting it to track (removing stuff like lights and pass pegs) over the past two weeks since I bought the 300. The 300 is my street bike now. I would def want a full exhaust, MUCH better brakes, and a steering damper to consider this thing for the track...

Too bad Kawi couldn't boost the performance to this level without increasing displacement!
Sapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
Alex, that may well be the single best phrased explanation I've ever seen you post in regards to anything. Almost impressive.
He once had a really good post on jetting as well.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
The 300 is my street bike now. I would def want a full exhaust, MUCH better brakes, and a steering damper to consider this thing for the track...
Try sintered front pads for starters, then go with SS lines if you want to get rid of some of that sponge. Alex mentioned that about the brakes as well; I think he came to the conclusion that he was going to try out sintered pads.

The geometry is less aggressive than the 250, which doesn't really "need" a dampener either (unless you raise the tail a bunch, lower the front, and ride like a total boss,). If you really want a dampener, go for it. We know that any bike can experience headshake/slappers, but it should be just fine without it. I guess what I mean is a dampener isn't the deal breaker; if you want track time on the 300, don't hold back simply because you don't have hardware.

Any word on full exhaust/ecu management products yet? Area P has definitely said they plan on a full quiet core exhaust, but I've not heard about Bazzaz or Power Commanders yet.

EDITED for clarity that alex.s reminded me about.

Last futzed with by choneofakind; October 8th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Old October 8th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
That new girl with the pokemon bike has a bazzaz w/ traction control apparently
AFM #676

Old October 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #21
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Alex.S summed it up pretty well.

CVMA doesn't have a procedure to handle inquires like this. I looked at other orgs
( MRA, WERA, AFM, WMRRA, etc ) and they all have a defined procedure dealing with changes.

WMRRA
http://wmrra.com/rulechange.html

From WERA:
Quote:
Any discussion of or suggestions regarding WERA rules should be submitted in writing to WERA. Suggestions will be reviewed for consideration by the WERA officials and technical advisors for possible inclusion in the next Rulebook.
AFM's Rules Proposal Recommended Format
www.afmracing.org/downloads/download_2010_rules_proposal.pdf

MRA:
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=15185

I requested CVMA to defined a procedure in hopes of averting situations like this ...
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #22
Sapper
MSF Instructor

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2010 Yamaha WR250R, 2008 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Why would anyone need traction control on a 300? Not even necessary on a 600 supersport let alone a 298cc twin LOL

Might was well install air brakes in the fairing that help me slow down from speeds over 100mph
Sapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
Might was well install air brakes in the fairing that help me slow down from speeds over 100mph
... isn't that what your legs and upper body are for?

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #24
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Do you know if she got the non US version for the 250? I didnt see anything listed for the 300 on the Bazzaz site. Craziness on the traction control thing LOL

Thanks in advance.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
No clue, ask her
AFM #676

Old October 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
Do you know if she got the non US version for the 250?
Unlikely, she's from Fresno. It's almost certainly a CA bike. (here's that thread)

Old October 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #27
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Unlikely, she's from Fresno. It's almost certainly a CA bike. (here's that thread)
Ahhh thanks Alex she said she "will" be adding a bazzaz which means to me that she hasn't. I thought she had and was curious which version of bazzaz she got. Thanks for clearing that up.

I am holding out for the Area P setup since I have been very impressed with their work but I am very interested in gathering as much ECU management information as possible for comparison reasons and learning more about ECU management on bikes vs my familiar world of cars which seems to have much more functionality than bikes at this time.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #28
htdub
ninjette.org member

Name: Hien

Motorcycle(s): triumph

I sense a MOTOGP ECU arms race, lol
htdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #29
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Bazzaz hasn't made a module yet. They said they already had a prototype, then said its coming next week, which means they're at least a month or two out . . Yoshi actually bought a 300 from Australia, which should be in CA this week. everyone's ramping up, but nothing out there yet. .

Old November 8th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #30
zx6racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ZX2.5R, 2005 ZX6R, 2002 and 2005 CRF450R, 1986 GS650 Cafe (building)

Jbinsd. dude, just come out and race it in 250ss and ULWS. none of us will care. Anyone that protests you can suck on my totsubo!!! Its all about fun, guarantee all of us agree on that.
zx6racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #32
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Its on, bishes!
Mike @ Catalyst is fabbin me a bellypan, and I spent half the night with a buddy safety-wiring and strippin' her.

Gonna load up and head out this afternoon. Everything's stock except some rearsets, but will be fun to see what she can do . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-08_09-03-17_591.jpg (73.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-11-05_10-20-11_720.jpg (69.4 KB, 15 views)

Old November 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #33
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Its on, bishes!
Mike @ Catalyst is fabbin me a bellypan, and I spent half the night with a buddy safety-wiring and strippin' her.

Gonna load up and head out this afternoon. Everything's stock except some rearsets, but will be fun to see what she can do . . .
You might want to put a small scratch on that bike somewhere to get the crash bugs off
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #34
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Just take it off the stand and let go. Get it over with.

Old November 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #35
9lives
ninjette.org member

Name: Walter

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
Just take it off the stand and let go. Get it over with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
You might want to put a small scratch on that bike somewhere to get the crash bugs off
If Joel only knew how true those statements were going to be. The best way to look at Joel is she's a race bike now which is what you bought her for in the first place anyway.
9lives is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #36
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
anyone know how bad the 300 is? i heard it was bad... sorry to hear about the crash, hope everything is alright

Old November 12th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #37
9lives
ninjette.org member

Name: Walter

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
anyone know how bad the 300 is? i heard it was bad... sorry to hear about the crash, hope everything is alright
Not really that bad. We were pitted together and I looked it over before it got loaded into the trailer. Mostly cosmetic I looked at the forks/triple clamps don't believe anything is bend there. I'd be shocked if anything on the frame is bent. I mean it still sucks because it was a brand new bike but if you've played this game long enough we've all thrown beautiful bikes down the road. And even if you haven't yet sooner or later you will.
9lives is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it was such a pretty bike though :'( and that "cheater bike" sticker added so much flair.

Old November 12th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #39
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Yeah, after 40 yrs of riding, I finally went down on the first new bike I've ever owned. After a while you start feeling like maybe you ARE that lucky one that never goes down. Big apologies to Dino, who also went down when apparently my rearset dug into the turn and pulled me down. I honestly didn't think I was that far over, and thought maybe we bumped tires, but he heard the grind.

The bike looks like crap, all plastics are fried, front tire bent beyond repair, rearsets and clipons grinded down, seats thrashed, tank trashed, but the engine was spared and the frame and forks look straight (knock on wood).

I was totally going to wait for track plastics or at least sliders, but they weren't ready by race time, and I rolled the dice. Crapped out on my last race of the weekend.

I guess the bright side is no one got hurt, and (hopefully) the ninja will limp back into the grid for Jan.

Big ups to Josh Fogle though for KILLING it and hitting a 2:01. He, Jonathon, Ari, Rexbo will all break 2 I bet, and the 300 could go significantly lower.

Tough life lesson this weekend, but sh*t happens, and I still had a blast. Thanx for everyone who supported me on the boards and in the pits.

Oh yeah, here's my baby as she sat this morning:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-11_20-21-19_432.jpg (70.8 KB, 38 views)

Old November 12th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I think you might be the unofficial first track-wrecked 300!

Ninja 300 for sale; never been down, custom paint

Glad you're okay, it's sad to see the bike in that state, but you're the important part.