Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Will gate spikes be a problem?

Hey everyone,
so the other day I was leaving a friends appartments and you know those one way spikes they lay in the ground now? Where if you go one way you can get over them, but go the other way and your tires pop? Well, the ones at her appartment had a sign. It said "No skateboards, no bicycles, and no motorcycles". Are these bad for our bikes? Could they pop our tires?

I live in a neighborhood, but these would be a majo problem for two reasons. One: I visit my friends. Two: i work at the airport for a car rental company and where i park, there are two spike things that are raised a little. we can park outisde of the area, but theres only room for 3 cars and is usually taken up. should i be worried about these spikes or not? thanks!
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #2
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Hey everyone,
so the other day I was leaving a friends appartments and you know those one way spikes they lay in the ground now? Where if you go one way you can get over them, but go the other way and your tires pop? Well, the ones at her appartment had a sign. It said "No skateboards, no bicycles, and no motorcycles". Are these bad for our bikes? Could they pop our tires?

I live in a neighborhood, but these would be a majo problem for two reasons. One: I visit my friends. Two: i work at the airport for a car rental company and where i park, there are two spike things that are raised a little. we can park outisde of the area, but theres only room for 3 cars and is usually taken up. should i be worried about these spikes or not? thanks!
There is a set on base here that I go over when going out of a particular gate. I was a little un easy the first time, but nothing happened.

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Mr.E
That rider dude.

yeah i didnt originally think theyd be a problem until i saw that sign. It made me think it was because motorcycle wheels are different shape then car wheels that it would be a problem lol. thanks

Old September 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #4
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I believe the sign is posted not for causing damage to the tire but the gap between the spikes trapping the wheel and causing a crash.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #5
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
They make me nervous, too, and I agree the potential issue is getting the tire caught between them. But it shouldn't be a problem for you. Measure the gap between the spikes and you'll see why. Most of the strips have spikes about 3 to 3.5 inches apart. Our front tire is 110mm (new gen is 110/70/17) which is about 4 1/3 inches. Stock back tire is about 5 inches wide. It shouldn't get caught.

I suspect the warning is there because of narrow scooter tires or other uber skinny tires (and the fact that if someone does fall off there, you could be impaled). Easier to warn all motorcycles in a simple notice than put up the detail about tires narrower than 3.5 inches and have people not know what their widths are.

So in theory, the ninjette is fine on standard spike strips -- measure the spikes before you ride over them if you want to be certain. I'm not sure of all the widths on all the spike strips, so don't just rely on me. When I've gone over one, I've eyeballed the widths and then, just to be extra safe, aimed right at a spike just to be sure to get a direct hit and I don't catch my tire.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #6
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

The warning is there so when you do pop a tire or dump it, they can claim they told you not to go through there, and get off with out paying after they damage your bike.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #7
r311music
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Hey everyone,
so the other day I was leaving a friends apartments and you know those one way spikes they lay in the ground now? Where if you go one way you can get over them, but go the other way and your tires pop? Well, the ones at her apartment had a sign. It said "No skateboards, no bicycles, and no motorcycles". Are these bad for our bikes? Could they pop our tires?
I can't imagine any apartment complex in Orlando that won't let motorcycles in. I counted 15 motorcycles at mine so far, and that's not including ones that people keep in the garage.
r311music is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r311music View Post
I can't imagine any apartment complex in Orlando that won't let motorcycles in. I counted 15 motorcycles at mine so far, and that's not including ones that people keep in the garage.
i meant more so not getting in, but getting out lol. theres spikes so people cant slip in through the exit, but they hafve warnings.

Thanks for the replies guys. I dont feel too worried about them now.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Just out of curiosity, shot off emails to a few manufacturers of the traffic spikes asking about dangers to motorcycles and whether any competitors of theirs might have an issue. Response unanimous. Here is typical reply:

Quote:
Motorcycles can cross over, some customers provide a motorcycle space in the middle or end if they are concerned about safety.
No spikes to avoid really, industry wide, I have never heard of any having a problem.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Just out of curiosity, shot off emails to a few manufacturers of the traffic spikes asking about dangers to motorcycles and whether any competitors of theirs might have an issue. Response unanimous. Here is typical reply:
Thats awesome Floyd. I wish I would have thought of that actually lol. See, since I work at the airport for a car rental company, they have 2 raised spike strips in the lot I work at which is why I thought it'd be a problem, because I never see any of the other bikers go over it, they usually park outside or squeeze in somewhere else, which along with the sign I saw, added to the fear lol.

But I appreciate your info from the post before, and this as well. Certainly calms me about the situation.