Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old June 15th, 2016, 06:44 AM   #1
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Manual Radiator Switch

I'm going to be wiring a manual radiator switch for my zx-6r. Normally when this is done you wire an aftermarket switch into the "hot" radiator wire. However, I'd like to use one of the switches that I have on the left handlebar. This includes the low/high beam switch, horn, and turn signal. I think my best bet would be the high/low switch. Could I easily wire it so that the low is "off" and high is "on"? Would I just have to wire the low as a ground...?

Any help is appreciated.

Old June 15th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
What a manual radiator switch is?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #3
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I'm going to be wiring a manual radiator switch for my zx-6r. Normally when this is done you wire an aftermarket switch into the "hot" radiator wire. However, I'd like to use one of the switches that I have on the left handlebar. This includes the low/high beam switch, horn, and turn signal. I think my best bet would be the high/low switch. Could I easily wire it so that the low is "off" and high is "on"?
Googling some wiring diagrams, it looks like the stock setup should be a 2-wire switch, with blue/white wires. Does that match your bike?

If so, the switch is inline in the wire between the fusebox and the fan. You'll need to run power from the fusebox into your switch, then from your switch to the fan. Note that the blue/white wire going into the switch is power from the fusebox, and the blue/white wire going out of the switch runs to the fan. You can tap into both wires you need right there (though running wires from the radiator to your new switch might not be the most convenient).

Quote:
Would I just have to wire the low as a ground...?

The headlight switch works by taking power in on the blue/yellow wire, and sending it out on either the red/yellow wire to the low beam or red/black to the high beam. There is no ground involved with that part of the circuit. Hooking something to ground there would create a short.

If you want to use the high beam switch for the radiator, you'd need to take your new wire with power from the fusebox (possibly connected to blue/white #1) and run it into the blue/yellow. You'd then take the red/black output from the switch and run the wire to the fan (possibly connected to blue/white #2).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 15th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
What a manual radiator switch is?
It's a switch that turns the fan on the radiator at your leisure.

Old June 15th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
It's a switch that turns the fan on the radiator at your leisure.
What its purpose is?

Old June 15th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
What its purpose is?
Be preemptive and turned the fan on before it gets to 215, where it normally turns on. On hot days at the track, if you sit in the pit to long or you get stuck behind slower traffic, they get pretty hot.

Old June 16th, 2016, 06:00 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Be preemptive and turned the fan on before it gets to 215, where it normally turns on. On hot days at the track, if you sit in the pit to long or you get stuck behind slower traffic, they get pretty hot.
Thanks.
I assume then that the new switch is connected in parallel with the automatic switch, so the fan still turns on with the new switch off.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.