ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 17th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #1
illrational
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Black '11 ZX-6R

paint question

I want to paint my fairing bolts using spray paint so should i use spray primer before i cover with sray paint or is it not necessary.I figured using spray paint is cheaper than getting powdercoated which is what i woudl prefer.

Old September 17th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by illrational View Post
I want to paint my fairing bolts using spray paint so should i use spray primer before i cover with sray paint or is it not necessary.I figured using spray paint is cheaper than getting powdercoated which is what i woudl prefer.
I have seen on ebay fairing bolts in various colours. i think they anodised.
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

http://www.probolt-usa.com/
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #4
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

great service, better prices, fast shipping

http://www.bikebolts.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=407
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #5
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
great service, better prices, fast shipping

http://www.bikebolts.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=407
Just ordered a full bolt set from them in the electric blue color last week, still waiting to get them... I needed the well nuts, so I figured I could use the whole bolt set...

Not sure about spray painting the bolt heads, seems the rattle can paint might not last too long...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #6
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

i actually rattle canned mine. holding up well. 1. scrub bolt/screw head with steel wool. 2. wipe clean with rubbing alchohol. 3. spray using multiple light coats. that being said, when i decide it's time to order some wellnuts, i'll ordered some colored faring bolts too.
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
i actually rattle canned mine. holding up well. 1. scrub bolt/screw head with steel wool. 2. wipe clean with rubbing alchohol. 3. spray using multiple light coats. that being said, when i decide it's time to order some wellnuts, i'll ordered some colored faring bolts too.
I used the same method when I rattle canned many of mine, but they're not doing so well. I blame it on removing the fairings at least once a month to do something, be it a complete wash/wax, tuning, mods, whatever. If you're going to leave 'em alone I imagine the spraycan paint would hold up just fine, provided it isn't messed up putting them back on. My biggest problem bolts are the ones holding on the handlebars and the windscreen, as they're upturned, so hold water and are rusting, despite my best efforts.

I'd bet anodizing would hold up better, but several colors are known to fade/change after a while, like my black anodized mirror extenders that became bronze-colored.

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Poke the bolts through some cardboard so only the head gets sprayed (didn't want to mess with the threads). Rubbing alcohol, couple coats of white and couple coats of clear. Steel wool is a good suggestion as well. I also sprayed the plastic washer which I don't recommend since the bolt and washer will rub against each other and strip some paint.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #9
illrational
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Black '11 ZX-6R

I was planning on spraying them but i constantly take off my fairings which imsure will mean ill keep stripping paint off. I figure i would pay about 1o dollars for paint....hold up, would the clear coat keep the paint from stripping?

anyway, i went ahead and blackened out my two brothers full system which is either going to be pretty cool or i just made a major mistake?once the paint dries and i put everytghing back ill let you know.I think i am just going to get the kei because i couse use the extra screws and i am missing a couple.

Old September 21st, 2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Fair enough. Let us know how the kit turns out?

I wound up not doing more than one clear coat as the fit of the hex key in the head of the bolts was already getting tight before the clear. I only did the heads, pretty much verbatim as Cuong suggests (without the clear washers).

That said, and I should've mentioned this in my first post in the thread; I am by no means pro (or even really proficient), with rattlecan or anything else of artistic nature. You could probably do it in a way that it'll stand up to some punishment, but I still think that if you're constantly pullin' fairings, you're likely gonna lose paint on the bolt-heads one way or another.

If someone's got a DIY painted set (or kit) that's put up with lots of on-off cycles and doesn't look like it, please naysay me.