ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

The gas gauge is horrendous.

So I know this has been talked about before, and I realize the gas gauge on the '08+ is notoriously bad.

BUT, today, on the way to work, I ran out of gas. I stalled at a red light and tried 4 or 5 times to restart the bike, completely bewildered, while people started squeezing around me giving me dirty looks, lol. Finally I decided that I was out of gas... but luckily there was a station nearby. I got a bit of a workout pushing the bike up a hill

Anyway, my problem I think is unique, because the gauge doesn't work at ALL! It read that I had more than 1/2 a tank remaining, yet my tank was completely empty (it took 4 gallons). I think most people have the issue where the gauge will read empty before they actually are. Also, going by the trip odometer, I only made it 150 miles on that tank... which is about 38 mpg. Bike is stock. Does this seem right?

Anyway, figured I'd vent a little about that minor issue and see if anyone has any suggestions. Maybe the gauge / float is stuck in the tank? Not sure. But it reads full now.
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Are you filling up all the way to the metal part at the top? It should take closer to 4.5 gallons.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #3
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

A surefire way to get the last bit of gas out of the tank is to lean it over as far as you can to the left. That allows the gas that is trapped in the bottom of the right side to flow over to the left were the petcock is. That should give you enough gas to go a couple of miles.

38mpg is horrible. I'm currently at 54 mpg with pod filters.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

I don't think I filled all the way to the metal ring at the top, but it appeared to be pretty close. I had the nozzle out of the tank a little bit. Next time I'll try to fill all the way to the metal ring and see if I get a little extra.

Even still, if it took more gas, that would get me even worse mpg lol. My last fill-up, I actually had 62 mpg. So I'm not sure what's happened between then and now, other than the fact that I cleaned and re-oiled the air filter.

And the gas gauge seems to read 1/2 when I'm out of gas, too. That's my bigger concern.

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

To that end... does anyone know where I can get a new OEM pre-oiled air filter element? I think I may have over-oiled mine, and I'd rather just get a cheap new one to eliminate that as an issue, rather than speculate.

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #6
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy View Post
To that end... does anyone know where I can get a new OEM pre-oiled air filter element? I think I may have over-oiled mine, and I'd rather just get a cheap new one to eliminate that as an issue, rather than speculate.
Just take it out and squeze the oil out. Even with a new filter element you are going to have to oil it.

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynjay View Post
Just take it out and squeze the oil out. Even with a new filter element you are going to have to oil it.
I could try that again. I'd be more worried then about taking TOO much oil off of it.

K&N filters seem to be all over the internet... but they're $50. I doubt they're worth it.

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
A surefire way to get the last bit of gas out of the tank is to lean it over as far as you can to the left. That allows the gas that is trapped in the bottom of the right side to flow over to the left were the petcock is. That should give you enough gas to go a couple of miles.

38mpg is horrible. I'm currently at 54 mpg with pod filters.
IMO 38mpg is pretty good
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
IMO 38mpg is pretty good
Well, my first fill-up (before cleaning the air filter and before this stalling incident) I was getting 61-62. Not riding any differently.

Old September 6th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
cheapcycleparts.com they're like $5

Quote:
a new filter comes pre-oiled.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #11
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

People seriously use and trust the gas gauges on motorcycles? Holy ****...those things are a waste of time. Use your trip odometer. I stop every 150 miles and put $10 in. It about fills it up, sometimes over and sometimes under depending on gas price, which has been fluctuating lately.

Just squeeze the oil out of your current air filter. Get some latex gloves on first. Air filter oil is TACKY (at least the good **** is, anything else sucks ass and shouldn't be used) and will make a huge mess if you spill it or get it on your hands. Very hard to clean up. Don't wring the filter, you WILL tear it and it will need replacing. Just squeeze it until all the oil stops dripping out of the filter. There's no reason to replace your air filter unless if you have a hole in your stock one. Just keep cleaning it. What I do for all my bikes is have 3 air filters. One in the bike and two extra ready to go. I cycle them in and out and always have a clean one on hand. Not that I need to for my street ride as the service interval for that is much higher than my dirt toy. I'll usually swap air filters half way through the day on my dirt toy. Still, it's just nice to be prepared.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
a new filter comes pre-oiled.
Some do, some don't. Usually those "performance" replacement ones like the K&N do but some of the other OEM replacement foam ones don't. Mine didn't and I had to apply oil.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
huh, mine came pre-oiled when I bought oem

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #14
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You could be right Chris since you actually ordered one so we'll go on that basis. I was once told that it wasn't pre-oiled but of course the guy on the phone at the parts counter could have always been wrong.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #15
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
I was once told that it wasn't pre-oiled but of course the guy on the phone at the parts counter could have always been wrong.

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #16
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
People seriously use and trust the gas gauges on motorcycles? Holy ****...those things are a waste of time. Use your trip odometer. I stop every 150 miles and put $10 in. It about fills it up, sometimes over and sometimes under depending on gas price, which has been fluctuating lately.
Hah, yeah I realize the things are inaccurate, but my bike stalled today at 150 miles on the nose. Out of gas at 150 miles? It was highly unusual... Last fill-up, like I said, I got around 61 mpg, and I filled it up at about 170 miles. So I wasn't expecting it to go empty so soon

Quote:
Just squeeze the oil out of your current air filter. Get some latex gloves on first. Air filter oil is TACKY (at least the good **** is, anything else sucks ass and shouldn't be used) and will make a huge mess if you spill it or get it on your hands. Very hard to clean up. Don't wring the filter, you WILL tear it and it will need replacing. Just squeeze it until all the oil stops dripping out of the filter. There's no reason to replace your air filter unless if you have a hole in your stock one. Just keep cleaning it. What I do for all my bikes is have 3 air filters. One in the bike and two extra ready to go. I cycle them in and out and always have a clean one on hand. Not that I need to for my street ride as the service interval for that is much higher than my dirt toy. I'll usually swap air filters half way through the day on my dirt toy. Still, it's just nice to be prepared.
That's a good strategy... By the way, I didn't use any specialized air filter oil. I used regular 10w-40 motor oil, as was recommended in the faq here: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...r_filter(s)%3F

Will air filter oil make a huge difference? And should I replace it asap? I can stop by the store on my way home today to get some.

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #17
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

For a street ride, to be honest 10w-40 oil would probably work fine. I grew up on MX bikes so I've always used this very tacky Twin Air filter oil. The tackier the oil, the more dirt and other particles it will catch. It's just better protection.

Old September 7th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #18
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

did you switch it to reserve when it stalled out? you probably had a little bit there to get to the gas station, unless I'm wrong and the 08+ has no reserve anymore.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
For a street ride, to be honest 10w-40 oil would probably work fine. I grew up on MX bikes so I've always used this very tacky Twin Air filter oil. The tackier the oil, the more dirt and other particles it will catch. It's just better protection.
That's good to know. The owner's manual was a little confusing about it. At any rate I sopped up a good 6 or 7 ounces of oil after taking it out of the bike yesterday.... there was a LOT. I hope it wasn't coming from the blowoff from the crank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
did you switch it to reserve when it stalled out? you probably had a little bit there to get to the gas station, unless I'm wrong and the 08+ has no reserve anymore.
Yeah, it's the 08+ and there's no reserve. Honestly, I'd rather they 1)did away with the broken, useless fuel gauge, and 2) added in a reserve switch like the old bikes! What good is a fuel gauge for you without a reserve... if the gauge doesn't work? Weird.

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #20
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
That's good to know. The owner's manual was a little confusing about it. At any rate I sopped up a good 6 or 7 ounces of oil after taking it out of the bike yesterday.... there was a LOT. I hope it wasn't coming from the blowoff from the crank.

Yeah, it's the 08+ and there's no reserve. Honestly, I'd rather they 1)did away with the broken, useless fuel gauge, and 2) added in a reserve switch like the old bikes! What good is a fuel gauge for you without a reserve... if the gauge doesn't work? Weird.
You are free to put a pregen petcock in there to give you your reserve back.

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

The fuel gauge works fine and the reserve is called a trip meter. If you run out of gas that's on you
AFM #676

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #22
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
The fuel gauge works fine and the reserve is called a trip meter. If you run out of gas that's on you
I wish it did. Mine is horribly unpredictable. As for the trip meter... well, as of my last trip where I unexpectedly ran out of gas at 150 miles, doesn't look like I can rely on that either haha. At this rate I will be stopping by a gas station every time I hit 100.

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Well u are just all kinds of fail
AFM #676

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #24
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Well u are just all kinds of fail
The bike is fail; I'm the one looking for solutions.

Old September 7th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #25
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I don't have a reserve anymore; I switched to EFI and had to ditch my petcock for a fuel tap. I also don't have a gas gauge. All trip odometer baby!!

That's how my beater car was when I started driving. That '95 civic had a faulty gas gauge since like 2002, and we never ran out of gas I loved that car

Old September 7th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #26
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

My truck gas gauge kinda works. When you fill it with gas the needle will always sit slightly below 1/4 tank. It will go below that mark down to E, but it will never go above, no matter how much you put in.

I'm really starting to not trust gauges at all. Speedos are wrong, tachs are wrong, oil pressure gauges are wrong, temp gauges are wrong. It's just ridiculous. I suppose that is one reason I like my dirt toys so much. So simple and everything is by feel.

Old September 7th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #27
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Quote:
Wow, now that is crappy, I guess I am happy with a reserve and no fuel gauge on my pre gen.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #28
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

When I was in flight training for my private pilot's license, my instructor told me the fuel gauges in the plane only read correctly twice, when the tanks were full and when they were empty. Everything else you had to figure out yourself.

That saved my ass once. I was flying in central florida and noticed the gauges were bouncing off the E but pretty reliably on the E. Did a quick stop at an airport 50mi from my destination to check the fuel level and put enough gas in the plane to get home. Turned out I only had about a gallon left in the tanks. The plane burns 6 gal an hour and we were 30 min from home base.

Moral of the story: The gauge is only right twice, when you just filled it up and when you are out of gas.

Old September 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
My guage is 100% accurate + or - the trip odo

Funny thing though, on my 1000 it shows full until about 100 mi or 1/2-1/3 gas left. I'm not sure if they did it on purpose but it gives me more accurate low fuel readings i.e. each bar left = 10-20mi
AFM #676

Old September 9th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #30
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Hah. Yeah. I'm definitely going to be hopping on the "ignore the gauges bandwagon" here. Definitely don't trust that thing anymore.

Mine's only right once, heh -- when it's full. When my tank is empty, it's usually somewhere around 1/2...... +/- a quarter tank.

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #31
thomason2wheels
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): dl650

Seriously wacko gas guages...my vstrom when it hits reserve i have just about 1 gallon left, so i figure i need gas in the next 40 to 50 miles. I nearly always get 300 miles to a tank on it. Looks like the ninja will be a lot less.

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #32
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

Odd, on my 2011 I fill up around 240 trip and below "E" for around 3.9 to 3.8 gal.

Old September 14th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #33
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Heh. Lucky you. Yeah it's completely effed at this point -- my last fillup, the gas gauge has gone up to F, and.... hasn't moved at all lol. Even when I was down to 1 gallon, it remained up at F

Old September 14th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #34
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Name: Salim

Motorcycle(s): 2005 SV650S

Mine is pretty accurate. I rode until I was near the E, maybe about 2 lines from it or 3 and filled up about 4 gallons.
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote