ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Bent shift fork?

Need help diagnosing a problem. I crashed my bike about a month ago. It slid on it's left side and once I picked it up I noticed the shifter was bent back way way too far. Basically, when the bike tipped over the shifter got pushed up and way back near the foot peg. I didn't ride the bike after the accident. So when I eventually started working on my bike to repair it I noticed the big problem.

I can go down to first and get it back to neutral but the problem is that once it is in first and when the clutch is engaged the bike won't roll like it should. I can slightly roll the bike forward when the clutch is engaged but with lots of effort. So something is really messed up I assume. And yes. The clutch is fully engaged. Anyone know if it is a bent shift fork?

If so my days of riding are over for quite some time.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That's normal that it's tough to roll in 1st with the clutch when cold and sitting. That's why when you have to bump start the bike, it's easier to put it in neutral when you push it, then pop it into first and let the clutch out.

Is it normal feeling to push when in neutral?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:53 PM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I assume you are trying to roll the bike while in gear and the motor turned off? If you are then yeah you will meet with some resistance. Does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with the tranny. To really check the tranny and how it shifts the engine needs to be on. If you can't get to second gear with the bike running, I would say there may be something out of alignment in the tranny, which could be easily fixed.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
I assume you are trying to roll the bike while in gear and the motor turned off? If you are then yeah you will meet with some resistance. Does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with the tranny. To really check the tranny and how it shifts the engine needs to be on. If you can't get to second gear with the bike running, I would say there may be something out of alignment in the tranny, which could be easily fixed.

Yes the motor is off. I am still trying to get it back working. But that is another topic. I mean there is a lot of resistance. I have to really push to get it to move. I don't ever recall it being like this before the crash. I could easily push the bike around in first with the clutch engaged prior to the crash.

Unfortunately I can't test if it will go into second because I have yet to get it started. It tries to crank but just won't turn over. I need to charge the battery because I have tried starting it so many times it has drained the battery. I just noticed this current problem recently and started getting worried that I have a serious problem on my hands.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
That's normal that it's tough to roll in 1st with the clutch when cold and sitting. That's why when you have to bump start the bike, it's easier to put it in neutral when you push it, then pop it into first and let the clutch out.

Is it normal feeling to push when in neutral?
Yes!

Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:48 PM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Then I wouldn't worry about it unless you have trouble shifting when the bike is running.

That resistance is the same reason the bike lurches forward a little when you put it in gear the first time when you start her up
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Jono

Okay, hopefully it is all good once I get my bike running again.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Jono

Update:

Everything is just fine. I was just freaking out. Haha. I had never had the bike sitting for as long as it was, so that is why I never realized that the bike was hard to push in first gear. Put it shifts great!!! I am finally getting it all fixed up.