ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Finally a real rain in L.A.

Man that was fun; first real rainy ride after I bought my 250 in May. We had one a month and a half or so ago but I was already on surface streets by then. This time fat drops started hitting my helmet right after I got on the freeway and I just started giggling, and the smiles didn't stop for 15 miles until I got home. Saw only 1 other guy riding and we sort of gave each other the "hey not bad!" nod, that was cool.

I should probably get some rain gear though so next time I won't be soaked through...
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I had a nice ride today as well. I was a bit paranoid during turns though. I would take them pretty slowly. I've been kinda paranoid about losing traction during turns because that's exactly what happened during last month's drizzle. It was my first ride in the rain and I felt the rear "slide" during a turn. Ever had anything similar?
Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman44 View Post
I had a nice ride today as well. I was a bit paranoid during turns though. I would take them pretty slowly. I've been kinda paranoid about losing traction during turns because that's exactly what happened during last month's drizzle. It was my first ride in the rain and I felt the rear "slide" during a turn. Ever had anything similar?
OIL ON DA STREET YO

duh
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #4
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Name: Checho

Motorcycle(s): Harley Street 750

I don't ride in the rain for so many reasons. Here in L.A. once the first rain drop falls on people windshield's they start runnning into each other. L.A. drivers can't drive in the rain.
checho323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Rain sucked. There just wasn't enough of it.

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #6
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman44 View Post
As long as your throttle's steady you should be fine. I was surprised how well the stock tires did on the freeway in chubby rain conditions, tell you the truth. Going from Burbank back to Pasadena my tires didn't really wobble until after I got into Pasadena, then all I did was slow down a bit and that stopped the wigglin.

Old October 12th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

See, I've never had any doubt how well the tires would perform in a straight line. To me, that's a no brainer. What worries me is how they do OFF the freeway, on curves and turns when you have to put a little lean on it. I never let the rain stop me from riding but I'll be the first to say I ride like a chump in the rain because I'm just waiting for myself to slide out on one of the turns.

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #8
funkshn
ninjette.org newbie

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Rode from Pasadena to La Canada in some rain, but mostly HAIL. The cars were paranoid, driving even slower than I wanted to. The freeway was filthy - you could see little skims of god knows what in the standing water. And now my bike, my helmet and my gear are filthy, too. Wash time tomorrow.

The hail was BB-size, but still kind of fun. I had a 3-ounce shell jacket from Gore (makers of Gore-Tex) that worked PERFECTLY in its first real test since I bought it. Wore it underneath my mesh armor.

Didn't see any other bikes out there in the hail.
funkshn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #9
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

The rain on the 405 yesterday was horrible!
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #10
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
See, I've never had any doubt how well the tires would perform in a straight line. To me, that's a no brainer. What worries me is how they do OFF the freeway, on curves and turns when you have to put a little lean on it. I never let the rain stop me from riding but I'll be the first to say I ride like a chump in the rain because I'm just waiting for myself to slide out on one of the turns.
Took my bike to North Carolina, it rained on me the whole time, both ways. I never had any issues with the stock tires on the highway, the curved highway through the mountains, or curved mountainous back roads.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #11
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkshn View Post
Rode from Pasadena to La Canada in some rain, but mostly HAIL. The cars were paranoid, driving even slower than I wanted to. The freeway was filthy - you could see little skims of god knows what in the standing water. And now my bike, my helmet and my gear are filthy, too. Wash time tomorrow.

The hail was BB-size, but still kind of fun. I had a 3-ounce shell jacket from Gore (makers of Gore-Tex) that worked PERFECTLY in its first real test since I bought it. Wore it underneath my mesh armor.

Didn't see any other bikes out there in the hail.
What time was this? I was riding home from Burbank at around 5:20'ish, basically on the other side of the hill from you, didn't see any signs of hail. That would've been cool.

Old October 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #12
funkshn
ninjette.org newbie

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
What time was this? I was riding home from Burbank at around 5:20'ish, basically on the other side of the hill from you, didn't see any signs of hail. That would've been cool.
About 4:00. All the heavy stuff was in northwest Pasadena and up into the mountains from there.

If I had just ridden up the Glendale freeway I would have avoided all that. Oh, well. By the time 5:00 rolled around, there was a cloudburst at my house, so I was grateful that I missed that on my ride.
funkshn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Finally a real rain in L.A.

Was it anything like this

Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #14
erbarry88
ninjette.org member

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2007 GSX-R 600

Rode from Norwalk to Longbeach. About a 15 mile commute riding on the streets and 605. It felt really refreshing and had a smile on my face the whole time. Started pouring pretty hard but oddly my pants didnt get that wet but boots were soaked. Next time Ill wear my Gortex pants just in case. Rain isnt gonna stop me from riding. Sucks that it got hot this week once again.
erbarry88 is offline   Reply With Quote