Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:22 PM   #1
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

Tense moment on the bike

A round of applause for this lady in the green nissan:

This lady's trying to make a left into a side street across my lane (full of rush hour traffic). She looks right at me because, you know, I'm weaving in my lane to get her attention. 100 ft to the intersection and she puts her foot down and goes for it.

I'm hard on both brakes trying to shed speed: rear wheel locks up, slipper clutch kicks in and I finally stop, luckily, without hitting anything or going down. I give her a loud - frankly obnoxious - horn trying to say: "yo, you almost took me out right there".

She actually has the balls to give me the finger and drive off... next time those mirrors are mine.

So boys and girls, if you're thinking about getting a sport bike, invest in one with an abs and buy some quality gear.
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Uhhh....don't you mean abs?

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

yeah your slipper didn't really do much bro... Should have chased her and taken those mirrors.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:58 PM   #4
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
Uhhh....don't you mean abs?
Why, yes I did mean abs.. thanks for catching that (fixed now).

Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
Why, yes I did mean abs.. thanks for catching that (fixed now).

Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Thumbs up

Quote:
...........I'm hard on both brakes trying to shed speed: rear wheel locks up, slipper clutch kicks in and I finally stop, luckily, without hitting anything or going down. ..............
It has only taken two months of riding for you to experience the most common and dangerous traffic situation between four and two wheels.

Being alert and aware of that car, just saved your life.

Very well done !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
You didn't by chance flash them with your high beams to get their attention did?

Yeah and the slipper clutch only works when down shifting and dropping the clutch.

Glad you learned a quality lesson in "Drivers and morons 101" without crashing
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #8
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
You didn't by chance flash them with your high beams to get their attention did?

Yeah and the slipper clutch only works when down shifting and dropping the clutch.

Glad you learned a quality lesson in "Drivers and morons 101" without crashing
Unfortunately no, I didn't flash my high beams. I weaved instead mainly b/c I didn't want the driver to think that I was telling her to make the turn. I was on a multi-lane road so I didn't think flashing them was the best option given that it could be misinterpreted...

I've always used high beams (when driving a car) to yield my right of way so I didn't use it out of habit.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Unfortunately no, I didn't flash my high beams. I weaved instead mainly b/c I didn't want the driver to think that I was telling her to make the turn. I was on a multi-lane road so I didn't think flashing them was the best option given that it could be misinterpreted...

I've always used high beams (when driving a car) to yield my right of way so I didn't use it out of habit.
Exactly so don't flash them

Maybe your weaving caught their attention and they thought you were one of those stupid stunting squids and figured they'd cut you off like they were last week.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.........I weaved instead mainly b/c I didn't want the driver to think that I was telling her to make the turn. I was on a multi-lane road...........
Weaving was a good thing; keeping high beam at all time during day hours would have been better.

1) She could have looked at you and not seeing what her brain (yes, she had some) was not expecting to see.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ghlight=SMIDSY

2) She could have not looked well enough as to see anything other than a big vehicle that could crush her.

3) She could have seen you and decided to go, fooled by the wrong perception of distance/speed that bikes give.
Her post-event hand gesture leads me to believe that this was the case.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:52 PM   #11
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Weaving was a good thing; keeping high beam at all time during day hours would have been better.

1) She could have looked at you and not seeing what her brain (yes, she had some) was not expecting to see.
This was evening time and I was on my (black) bike, perhaps another factor. I figured high beams would have been overkill. I mean, I really don't want to blind/annoy everyone on the road.

I used to hate getting blinded by high beams while driving a car and I hate it even more, now, on the bike.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Good for you for anticipating her idiocy.

I have no shame in admitting that I would have turned and chased her down right after she had the audacity to give the finger.
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #13
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
This was evening time and I was on my (black) bike, perhaps another factor. I figured high beams would have been overkill. I mean, I really don't want to blind/annoy everyone on the road.

I used to hate getting blinded by high beams while driving a car and I hate it even more, now, on the bike.
Get in front of the ninja and see if it really bothers you having the high beams on. The high beams on the ninja are very low, almost more like the difference between daylight running lights and true headlights. I have seen ninjettes coming at me with the high beams on at night and don't seem to be bothered by it, and I hate people driving at me with the high beams on. Also, I almost always leave my high beams on, and I have never once had someone flash their lights at me to turn them down, and if I forget when I'm in a cage, I almost always get flashed. Just test yours out and see what you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Star View Post
Good for you for anticipating her idiocy.

I have no shame in admitting that I would have turned and chased her down right after she had the audacity to give the finger.
I used to do that, broke one guy's mirror off when he decided to pull into me without using them, but anymore, if I did that I'd be spending more time chasing people down than getting where I'm going. Just the other day I pulled up to a light where I was turning left, waited for it to turn green, and went. Right as I was pulling through the intersection, I almost got hit by some c*nt who ran the red light going the other way. Well lit intersection too, not like she couldn't see me, since when she almost hit me I was already sideways, and she didn't care.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #14
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Glad you were able to stop in time. Drivers really don't get that they're in the wrong sometimes... I had a lady fly up on my right hand side in a lane that merges into my lane. She stayed next to me and when her lane was merging into mine she tried to speed up and pass me, I was in my truck so I maintained speed and she had to merge behind me. After merging behind me, she was flipping the bird at me. Wish I could of told her that next time pass me before your lane ends and don't be an idiot.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #15
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
One more reason we need tougher driving standards!!!

Old July 10th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Invest in a camcorder and YouTube it next time... it'll do wonders for her driving habits
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

i think you misunderstand the concept of slipper clutch.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #18
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
i think you misunderstand the concept of slipper clutch.
To stop the effects of engine braking from locking up the wheel. I shifted down and accidentally dropped the clutch b/c, well I was f'in panicking. So yeah, the slipper clutch definitely did its part.

I locked up the rear under braking after shifting down. I was in the process of shifting down as she pulled out.

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #19
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
To stop the effects of engine braking from locking up the wheel. I shifted down and accidentally dropped the clutch b/c, well I was f'in panicking. So yeah, the slipper clutch definitely did its part.

I locked up the rear under braking after shifting down. I was in the process of shifting down as she pulled out.
Well why didn't you say so originally

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:

ok i must've misread your first post.

kudos for not chasing her and going apesh!t over her. i know i would.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #21
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Well why didn't you say so originally
yeah... my b. In my defense, I was pretty frickin' pissed at the time of writing.