ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #1
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Name: surlistyc

Motorcycle(s): 2003 kawasaki ex250

Oh god, the coolant! It's everywhere!

I ride a 2003. Over the weekend I took it up to my friends house which is about 45 miles away. The ride there was great, (besides my hands falling off (I just started riding about 2 weeks ago)) When I got to his house, everything was fine, or so I think, but I was kind of concerned about this "boiling" sound. The bike was off and it just sounds like boiling water, and I'm not sure if that's normal or where it's even coming from. (That's not my main question, but if someone could tell me anything about that, that would be amazing)

So. I ride it back tonight. about 40 miles in, I stop to get gas and as I'm pulling in, I noticed the temp was at the white bar before the red lines of doom. and maybe less than a minute of my bike sitting at the pump there is about a 6 inch radius of greenish liquid (which I'm sure is coolant) and it was making that boiling sound again. It's night time here as of now, but I've taken a flash light just to see, and I can't even pinpoint where the leak is coming from. the radiator cap and overflow tube next to it is dry as far as I can tell, but man did it leak a bunch of fluid.

so about a half hour ago, i took it up to the store down the street, after i let it cool down for a couple hours. I let it sit there while on, and was just toying around, revving it and hitting the choke, letting it idle at about 5k for a minute or two. it took less than 10 minutes just idling (revving,choke etc...) before the temp gauge rose to almost red. (fan works) I mean, I'm sure this last part was because I'm probably extremely low on coolant, but I'd thought I'd mention it.

So any ideas of what this could be? Is there even a thermostat on '03's, or does it just constantly push coolant?

I'm guessing worse case scenario is I need a new radiator, if that's the case, any idea how much one costs? I'm good at taking things apart and putting them back together, and I've replaced radiators on cars before, so I'm sure I could do it myself.

Sorry for all the questions and this cosmically long post, but I don't want to miss anything.

Thanks in advance.
surlistyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Check for rock chips or rust on the radiator.

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #3
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

That's a really good point. I didn't even think about the road shrapnel. But let's say for now that, that isn't the case, and the radiator is fine, what else might it be? Isn't there a reservoir for the coolant? if so where? I think I remember seeing one past the right fairing, or I might just be remembering someone elses bike. (sorry, it's 4:45A.M here)

Old July 8th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #4
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

If it's the same as the new gen, it'll be under the fairing on the right side.

If you say there radiator vent cap is clean but there's fluid coming out, then the obvious conclusion is that there's a leak somewhere in the cooling system.

The main external parts of the cooling system are:
Radiator
Reservoir
Hoses

Remove your fairings and investigate. Loose hoses, cracks, holes, dents, etc.

Old July 8th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #5
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Cool, I'll check it out tomorrow, as it's late/early. Do you have any thoughts on the "boiling" sound? Thanks for everything so far.

Old July 8th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #6
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Well, because there's a leak. The cooling system is pressurized. The less pressure there is, the lower the boiling point is.

Old July 8th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #7
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Overflow reservoir is behind left side cover. Thermostat is plumbed into coolant hose under fuel tank. Never run engine without coolant, extreme temperature gradients can cause severe engine damage. The boiling noise is steam pockets forming and collapsing, very bad.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlistyc View Post
........But let's say for now that, that isn't the case, and the radiator is fine, what else might it be?.....
Welcome to the site, Surlistyc !!

Learn more about the system:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cooling_system

I would remove the thermostat and test the engine without it.

I would fill the system up with distilled water and Waterwetter.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=486218

The radiator can be easily clogged by debris or sediments (old coolant), since the path of the tubes is very narrow.

Have the coolant been fully replaced and the system flushed in the last two years?
After that time, the coolant looses properties and starts internal corrosion, which generates debris.

If the radiator has salt deposits from hard water (tap water containing salts) use, then you will need to buy another (they are expensive).

Check your oil for coolant contamination.
If found, the water pump may be leaking into the crankcase.

Best !
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

What you are describing sounds a bit normal after some long hard riding. Considering the heat over the past week, it's very easy for the bike to release some pressure in the cooling system. Stop and go traffic, slow speeds, idling the bike at high and low rpms for long periods of time with no air movement, can all be contributors for a little overheating. Proper oil viscosity and levels also help keep the engine cool. How is yours?

The small amount of coolant that was released is normal for a system reservoir that may have been slightly full. The boiling sound you heard was more than likely fluid being released in to the reservoir. Ever spray pressured water into an empty plastic bucket or even one with water? What did it sound like?

Check your reservoir to make sure it is at the proper level, also check to make sure the coolant in the radiator is at the proper level and it is bled of any air bubbles. Most importantly, if your coolant has not been changed in the last couple of years, it is highly recommended that you do so. Deteriorated coolant and dirty radiator fins are ineffective during high heat cycle riding
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I would fill the system up with distilled water and Waterwetter.
definitely sounded like nasty old coolant that boiled off to me. just hope the engine overheating isnt caused by an internal wear issue. i wonder what the engine sounds like.

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #11
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Wow thanks for the responses guys.

The engine sounds fine. When I first got the bike (used) My friend was going over it, and he helped to get it running(after a friend sat on it and opened the throttle all the way...). he said it sounds normal, and then this weekend I had the rear brake pads replaced, and the guy at the shop said that it runs great, (because he rode it around)

I topped off the coolant in the radiator with distilled water today, just up to the overflow tube. I think I put about a cups worth in there.
The reservoir with the letters F/L on it was completely empty. I topped that off with distilled water as well, for now until I can get some coolant.

I took off the front and side fairings and I can see any leaks. I let it idle at 5k for a good 15-20 minutes after I topped everything off,and it just looked like the temp gauge was at a steady mid range. I checked for any kind of leaks again, it's all dry. Although the engine seems really hot. I don't know if that's normal? I don't ever recall it being that hot, but I never tried to notice.

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #12
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

The temp gauge on my bike varies all the time when I change up my style of riding (being on a freeway at high speeds for many miles, then getting off and going to stop and go traffic causes the temps to rise a lot). I wouldn't worry about it unless if it's in the red. The engine does produce a good amount of heat.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Wow thanks for the responses guys.

The engine sounds fine. When I first got the bike (used) My friend was going over it, and he helped to get it running(after a friend sat on it and opened the throttle all the way...). he said it sounds normal, and then this weekend I had the rear brake pads replaced, and the guy at the shop said that it runs great, (because he rode it around)

I topped off the coolant in the radiator with distilled water today, just up to the overflow tube. I think I put about a cups worth in there.
The reservoir with the letters F/L on it was completely empty. I topped that off with distilled water as well, for now until I can get some coolant.

I took off the front and side fairings and I can see any leaks. I let it idle at 5k for a good 15-20 minutes after I topped everything off,and it just looked like the temp gauge was at a steady mid range. I checked for any kind of leaks again, it's all dry. Although the engine seems really hot. I don't know if that's normal? I don't ever recall it being that hot, but I never tried to notice.
outside of the engine doesnt matter. if the temp gauge shows a good temp then it was just air in the cooling system that needed to be bled after the last time it was filled. now that its filled, no air gap to keep the water from doing its job.

Old July 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #14
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
.....I let it idle at 5k for a good 15-20 minutes ..... the engine seems really hot. I don't know if that's normal? I don't ever recall it being that hot, but I never tried to notice.
You should never let the engine idle at that high of rpm and no load and without some moving air ( i.e. a fan running in front). High exhaust header temps can be damaging.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #15
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Wow, you guys are amazing with quick responses!

I just went out, put it all back together, and rode it around for about 15 minutes, 15-30 mph around the neighborhood. The temp gauge was halfway between cool and middle. which I think is a great sign. Although I think I'm going to ride it within a few miles of my house for a good hour tomorrow before I take another 45 mile trip. It still leaves me weary *shifty eyes*. Although it might just be in my head, The bike kind of felt weird earlier when riding. Like it was "sputtering" in 2nd gear? Kind of how when you let your tank get empty and the bike kind of jerks until the engine shuts off. It's like that, but the jerking is a lot less noticeable. Like I said, it could just be in my head.

Thanks again guys for the quick and amazing responses.