ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1
juanpak87
ninjette.org member

Name: juan

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

ride.number 2

I think my bike might be overheating. The heat indicator was like right below the hot box while i was riding but would go down after awhile. However, during my ride it turned off on me, but i thought it might have been bcuz i came to a stop n hardly had gas. So i put it on reserve n got to the nearest gas station n filled it up. I then turned it on, after letting it sit for a couple mins, and after letting it sit for awhile it almost went to the hot box again. Should i add coolant? My fairings are on, so i dont know if its low.
juanpak87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
First thing you need to do is check your coolant level and if that is ok then check to see that the fan is cycling on and off.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:49 PM   #3
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

check coolant, bleed the system for air, check fan, and if needed hot wire fan to switch so you can switch it on and off. im still fighting with mine on that one

Old August 4th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Take off your left fairing and check your overflow reservoir when the bike is cold. It should be up to the cold line. Tbh I can't tell if your bike is overheating or not but it just shutting off like that is not a good sign at at all. If it is overheating it could be a number of things not just your coolant level. Whatever the case you should definitely not ever run the bike hot or you will be in for an engine rebuild for sure.

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #5
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Its literally 1 screw to take off the side cover. The one you want is in the left. Pop seat off and undo screw then remove. Check fluid add some of needed. Next step make sure the radiator is clear of garbage etc. nothing blocking the flow.
How hot was it when you were riding? How fast were you going?
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
juanpak87
ninjette.org member

Okay so i took off my fairings and replaced my oil and coolant. However when i filled the coolant reservior tank i noticed a leak from the seam of the container. So i purchased epoxy for a quick fix, have yet to try it tho, and will eventually purchase another tank. Rode around witb the fluids i had in the engine and it did not overheat. So, guess the overheating problem comes down to not enough coolant due to the leak, but wont know for sure until this weekend when i poxy the tank n put coolant. Thanks and any other advice feel free to comment.

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #7
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Epoxy it or get you a cheap used one. Fix it before you ride again you don't want to burn up your engine.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #8
juanpak87
ninjette.org member

Poxy'ed the tank and its no longer leaking. Thanks for all the advice. Will ride this weekend to see if it still overheats