ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

Another day, another problem (or question)

Man, it seems like I've had too many of these lately. Ok so today was SUPPOSE to be a nice day, so I took my younger brother (17) down to a large empty parking lot near our house. He's always liked the bike so I thought I'd let him play around on it for a bit before I go back to school.

My bike was already hot because I'd been riding around for an hour or so. I showed him how to start it, explained the gears etc. so The bike was started and stopped several times, and stayed in first gear for maybe 40-45 min. I was going to turn it around for him, so I got on and started riding..I notice some light on near the gas gauge. I was like huh? so I stopped it and cut the engine, and as soon as I did I heard this sound that I can only describe as gurgling came from the engine. I've never heard anything like this, but it lasted for 7-10 seconds and I started leaking drops of oil.

I was freaking out, but it started raining despite the 0% chance via weather.com When I started riding again and that light went off but it didn't exactly feel right. I took the fairing off when I got home, I didn't SEE anything noticeably wrong (ie no bullet holes or hanging parts) and in the process burned my finger on the hot engine. Not my day.

Sorry that was so long, but I could really use some advice/ideas. The only thing I can think of was that it overheated, being ridden at low speeds. IDK. thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

PS. On a totally different note, any easy way to fix a bent shifter peg?(another long story) I tried pulling lol no luck
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Check engine light???
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM   #3
ARF07
ninjette.org member

umm that light on the right side that isn't the oil light? haha I just thought it was the same as on a car...I just went down and it looks like a temp. light. So maybe that? sorry, I'm still really new at this.

All fixed in the original post lol

Old August 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The two things that you have to check are the level of the anti-freeze and the oil level. Then take it for a short ride and let us know how the bike "feeels". Give specifics such as slugish as slugish, idles low, idles high, etc.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM   #5
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Those were the first two things I checked. Both levels are good, even though I leaked some oil because i was at the top before...I cant go ride right now because it's still raining, but on the way home, like, it felt like I was a gear short. My RPM's to MPH were right, but it just felt like it didn't have the pull that it had before. BUT that could have just been my perception.
Just so I don't keep sounding retarded, is that light for overheating?

Old August 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM   #6
kkim

look in your owner's manual (pg. 22)and see which one of those lights were on, then come back and let us know what it's indicating.

speaking of the owner's manual, have you ever read it?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:01 PM   #7
ARF07
ninjette.org member

I don't have the hard copy owners manual, but I have the PDF service manual that you sent me. IDK if those things are the same, but it's page 59 of that. "Water Temperature Warning Indicator Light" It's warning me of high water temperature (that works in school at least). Ok so to the best of my knowledge, the bike is cooled by that liquid cooling system of water and antifreeze. I think there is also a fan the pulls air towards the radiator(?), but I could be wrong about that.

So the water/bike was too hot or the cooling system wasn't working right, and it started leaking oil? I get the feeling I missed the step in between where something overheated and broke.

And no Kelly I haven't, I tried reading the PDF once, but I'm understood about 20% of it, so I quit after a while. Maybe I should try again

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM   #8
ARF07
ninjette.org member

(from the Manual)
Water Temperature Warning System Inspection:

The water temperature warning light goes on when the
ignition switch is turned on and goes off soon after the engine
starts running (oil pressure switch off) to ensure that
its circuit functions properly. The warning light also goes
on whenever the coolant temperature rises to 110 ∼ 120°C
(230 ∼ 248°F) when the motorcycles is in operation. If it
stays on, stop the engine and check the coolant level in the
reserve tank after the engine cools down.

That really didn't tell me much more than "your bike is too hot, check your levels" which I did.

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM   #9
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

How hot out was it??? Did your fan turn on?? It might of just overheated..Let bike completely cool and check everything again, if all seems fine take it for a ride, see how it is....
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM   #10
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Nathan, one thing you said that worried me was about your oil level...
Quote:
Both levels are good, even though I leaked some oil because i was at the top before...
At the top of the site glass? Could you see any air at all, or was it completely filled with oil?

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM   #11
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Thanks Dan,.. it was about 85 and humid. I'm positive (now lol) that it overheated. What I'm worried about is why overheating would make it drip oil..unless that's a normal byproduct of overheating. I really don't know. I've never had this happen before.

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM   #12
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Kim, it was near the top, but not overfilled (I'm pretty sure). I had a problem with my bike smoking, which turned out to be oil on my exhaust, and I rechecked my oil levels then and I could still see air at the top. IF I was running with too much oil, could it cause a problem like that?

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM   #13
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I wish I could answer your question, but I really don't know... I know that it can get foamy if it's too full, and there was more to it that I read in a thread somewhere, but I don't remember what...

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM   #14
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Oh ok, well I really appreciate the help anyways Kim hopefully it wasn't serious.

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Since your bike did overheat I recomend that you change the oil & filter. The reason is that although the oil is probably fine, when overheated it can suffer from thermal breakdown, it is sfer to go ahead and change it. Change the filter as well so you can get most of the old oil out and replace with new oil.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM   #16
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARF07 View Post
My bike was already hot because I'd been riding around for an hour or so. I showed him how to start it, explained the gears etc. so The bike was started and stopped several times, and stayed in first gear for maybe 40-45 min.
That type of riding can overheat the engine and when it does, the coolant will start to boil. Even if the fan kicks on, you are not going fast enough for air to flow through the radiator to properly cool off the coolant and the coolant starts to boil. When it boils, it flows out the overflow tube and exits from a tube right in front of the rear tire. it that where you saw your "oil" dripping from? if so, it was coolant and you should be okay.

coolant is green... what color was your dripping "oil"?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM   #17
ARF07
ninjette.org member

That makes sense Kelly, thanks. I honestly didn't get a good look at it. My dad was there with me and stuck his finger in what was dripping as was like "That's definitely oil" so I didn't really think much about it being anything else. It was probably just coolant then. I didn't think the bike would overheat from that kind of riding. I'll be more careful next time.

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM   #18
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Sometimes the factory coolant can be really dark green..appearing to be oil. I would definitely put my money on it being coolant.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote