ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Remove fairing and install generic frame sliders for my sister to practice...

I'd like to remove my fairings and heat shield and fold my mirrors then install some generic frame sliders so that my sister can learn on my bike without me worrying too much about it and I can still take it to work (temp turn signal mounts too, I guess). Any suggestions on where to mount the sliders? Any suggestions on what I can use to cover the exhaust tip and tail? I'm not worried about the bar ends because I'm already rubbing the paint off of them and have some pretty cool-looking replacements lined up.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM   #2
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Now is this the 40 year old who wants a mohawk?

Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM   #3
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Id recommend the MSF course. She will learn far more, and crash their bikes. My GF dropped mine twice before the course, during which she went down 5 times. Since passing, she can ride mine much much much better and has not even come close to putting it down.
Posted via Mobile Device
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Now is this the 40 year old who wants a mohawk?
Yes but not a real mohawk, though she thinks they are awesome (she's into punk rock). She wants the stick-on-helmet kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
Id recommend the MSF course. She will learn far more, and crash their bikes. My GF dropped mine twice before the course, during which she went down 5 times. Since passing, she can ride mine much much much better and has not even come close to putting it down.
Posted via Mobile Device
She will be and I am paying for it (part of her Christmas gift; she also got a Bluetooth helmet). It's just that she doesn't have a motorcycle yet and she's going to be putting some miles under her belt with my bike after the course. Until she gets more experience, I'd like to play it safe with no fairings. We are room-mates and, on the occasion that I need the car, we could actually switch rides. Also, her car is about to call it quits, so we'd like to get her licensed sooner rather than later.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:01 PM   #5
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Oooh ok gotcha. The only problem with removing the fairings is the lack of turn signals. But, with some enginuity you might be able to make it work. Also, there are threaded holes at the bottom of the swingarm near the rear, where one would install swingarm spools. You could potentially screw long bolts into those holes to protect the rear end and muffler. I agree folding up the mirrors might be a good idea right at the beginning, though pretty soon after the course she will probably be about ready to start riding on milder surface streets (neighborhoods and such), in which case she will need to start getting used to using the mirrors.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:13 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Oooh ok gotcha. The only problem with removing the fairings is the lack of turn signals. But, with some enginuity you might be able to make it work. Also, there are threaded holes at the bottom of the swingarm near the rear, where one would install swingarm spools. You could potentially screw long bolts into those holes to protect the rear end and muffler. I agree folding up the mirrors might be a good idea right at the beginning, though pretty soon after the course she will probably be about ready to start riding on milder surface streets (neighborhoods and such), in which case she will need to start getting used to using the mirrors.
Agreed. I should have mentioned that have a spare right-side mirror and a single bar-end mirror for her to use at first. The turn signals should not be a problem... unless it rains (not often in San Diego). I have slider spools in the rear already but only because they look cooler than standard spools (they do nothing to protect the exhaust). I'm just wondering what kinda thing I can "stick on" that can take the heat even a minor impact (the kind that would only scratch or barely dent the tip).

Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:20 PM   #7
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Sand down one of those smaller coffee cans to look shiny (or paint or or whatever) and tape it that bad boy .

I'm just kidding...not really... no I'm kidding... well... :P

And yeah I mean like get some 5" bolts or whatever to put in place of the spools, if you think that might help.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:24 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Sand down one of those smaller coffee cans to look shiny (or paint or or whatever) and tape it that bad boy .

I'm just kidding...not really... no I'm kidding... well... :P

And yeah I mean like get some 5" bolts or whatever to put in place of the spools, if you think that might help.
You know... a steel can with a magnet may just do it (enough protection for a drop but not a slide). Thanks for the ideas!

Now, before I take off my fairings, is there an obvious place I should mount the sliders? I never really looked and I'd like to be ready to put them on when I take the fairings off.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Less work would be to use painter's tape and then cushion/duct tape on the fairings. Remember to take pics
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote