ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #1
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

New Rider, Potential Upgrades

Hey guys, I'm a new rider and all, but I've got some questions for ya.

I'm thinking about upgrading some of my protective gear, and I'm not sure what I should get first. First of all my helmet right now (Xpeed XF-705) is great for inner city stuff and around the country roads. But, once I get on the highway at 75 mph, I get tons of buffeting and it is so loud, even with ear plugs. So I was thinking of looking at a higher grade helmet, particularly the Shoei RF-1100, what are your thoughts?

I also have a textile jacket (GX-Sport from Cortech) that is kind of bulky for spirited rides and balloons up at highway speeds. It's great for cooler weather or the super hot, but I want a more protective all around late spring to early Fall leather jacket. Here are some links of the ones I had in mind. Let me know what you would go for:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-Jacket.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-Jacket.aspx

Which should I go for guys (helmet or Jacket), I'm a college student, so I'm not made of money. I just want to be safer on the road and not break the bank. If there are other helmets (snell and dot) or jackets that you think I should look at please tell.

Thanks for the help guys,

NDspd

BTW, this is the best motorcycle forum I've ever been on so far, keep up the great work.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #2
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Id probably get my decision to be made off of # 1 and 2... go to the closet moto shop and try both on then order online =]

Old October 16th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #3
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Since you are looking for quality at a good price, I recommend taking a look at Sedici gear at CycleGear.com. Lifetime guarantee, and because it is factory direct (at the same factories that make the major label stuff), you can save money on good stuff. The Sedici Monza leather jacket happens to be $50 off right now, and a quality leather jacket at less than $250 is very hard to find. Also comes in white/black to match your bike.

Your helmet isn't the greatest, but actually it is decent. I'm not shy about ripping apart cheap helmets on these forums, but you'll be well protected in it and it performs pretty well for the cash. Here is what webbikeworld says about it:

Quote:
Winner: The Xpeed XF-705 was named the wBW 2008 Motorcycle Helmet of the Year Under $250.00! The Xpeed XF-705 has the features of a much more expensive helmet and it can usually be found at a hefty discount from its list price, making it a super deal.
The Shoei would be an upgrade for sure, but only you can say which annoys you more, the buffeting of your Xpeed or the balooning of your jacket.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That shoei is a great helmet, but it won't do as much for you if it doesn't fit right. Make sure that no matter what helmet you buy, it fits you properly. You're gonna wear this thing for hours at a time. It has to be comfortable, but still able to protect you if you need it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #5
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

fit is it

for me it was decades until i put the perfect helmet on (for me). new company was scorpion and i bought their top shelf 700 model. didn't need earplugs, first true anti-fog shield, actual venting. the wind will buffet any helmet you wear once at speed.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #6
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I mean really the only issue i have with the helmet is that it is super loud even with ear plugs, and the visor doesn't really seal against the helmet. I saw with the Shoei, I would have any of those issues. Now I still may have to wear ear plugs, but it won't be as harsh.

Thanks for the help guys.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote